Why become a member? ×

Aria compare Gibson

gypsyjazzer

Couple of things, the 90's/early 00's Korean models had bolt on necks detracting from the overall sound of a 335. They were however, nicer quality than the Chinese ones that followed. The bigger issue is that of getting a jazzier sound - common misconception with 335's as they are for all intents and purposes a solid guitar, with a block of solid wood going through the body and to which the pickups will be anchored. For a much jazzier sound you really need one of the fatter bodied hollow bodies, possibly with just a neck pickup. Also make sure you use flatwounds and fairly heavy (12) gauge strings.

I briefly owned a Gibson 335 but couldn't get on with the Nitro finish (sticky neck syndrome), I replaced it with a Tokai with Bare Knuckles pickups fitted, the Tokai sounded and played fantastic but it wasn't a patch on the Gibson, other than the Nitro finish the guitar was as perfect as I could rightly expect any guitar to be.

You can't really expect even the Japanese Arias to be as good as the Gibson, but you are only paying 20% of the money. I have had several of the Japanese and Korean Arias (and currently use 3 japanese Aria basses and a modern Aria archtop), and found them great guitars for the money, especially in context. I suppose it is the old argument that if you can afford it, and can appreciate the difference then the Gibson is the way to go and is a sensible financial investment that will appreciate over time. Otherwise, a change of electrics will do wonders for the Aria and get you into the ballpark (i don't play jazz so have no suggestions in this regard) but don't expect to get your money back if you decide to sell in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought an Aria pro 335 lookalike (10 or 15 years ago.) Looked good to me in the shop and I fell for it without really deliberating, but after returning home and spending a few hours with it I recognised the error of my way. I remember the neck was very flexible and it sounded very thin plugged in, and with poor sustain.

I can believe that, just like Gibsons (and probably almost any other marque,) they are not all the same, but the one I bought was quite a nice ornament. I took it back within a week to get my money back, which is a story in itself.

Some years later I was fortunate enough to afford a custom shop 335 which, in my opinion, sounds beautiful, plays beautifully and is aesthetically beautiful. It is very well made and very well finished; essentially a professional quality instrument that should appreciate in value. I play it mainly through my Cornford Hellcat or an old WEM Westminster and, to my ears, is good for Jazz, blues and rock sounds.
I would add two caveats to anyone in the market for a Gibson 335: 1. They are overpriced (which you will have to swallow if you really want one) and 2. They are not all made equally (be prepared to travel and play many before handing over any money for a 335.)

That said, the Aria cost about £300 iirc and the Gibson was nearly £3000. Make what you will of that but I agree with randythoades that there is simply no comparison between the two.

I won't be buying another Aria instrument, and rather than spend any money hotrodding one, I'd save up a bit of money and trade/swap in your aria for something else. I don't think you'd have to spend anywhere near Gibson prices to get a really great Jazz sound that will trounce that Aria.

I hope this isn't considered dredging and I'd imagine the OP has moved on (everything moves so fast nowadays to me) but having owned both, I felt like sharing my experience.

[quote name='Thumbducker' timestamp='1390562252' post='2346808']
I hope this isn't considered dredging and I'd imagine the OP has moved on (everything moves so fast nowadays to me) but having owned both, I felt like sharing my experience.
[/quote]

Useful post, good points well made. :)

Cant comment on the Aria/gibson but our guitarist also plays in a Rockabilly band. Had a Yamaha sa1000,superb build quality,great sound but then give in to badge snobbery. Got a 335 and had it only one month. Bought another Yammy. I can get him to post a review but needless to say the Gibson just wasnt as good in build quality or sound.Thats pretty much why you buy a guitar! As far as other models I have a/b Gibson Les paul and old school copies like Lord players,Grecos, Tokai and even Aria's. All the Jap ones. Believe me. There aint nothin in it. Its all down to what you want on the headstock.

[quote name='mikhay77' timestamp='1391208822' post='2354708']
Cant comment on the Aria/gibson but our guitarist also plays in a Rockabilly band. Had a Yamaha sa1000,superb build quality,great sound but then give in to badge snobbery. Got a 335 and had it only one month. Bought another Yammy. I can get him to post a review but needless to say the Gibson just wasnt as good in build quality or sound.Thats pretty much why you buy a guitar! As far as other models I have a/b Gibson Les paul and old school copies like Lord players,Grecos, Tokai and even Aria's. All the Jap ones. Believe me. There aint nothin in it. Its all down to what you want on the headstock.
[/quote]
I heartily agree that the Yamahas are excellent instruments. A lot of the Japanese brands generally are/ were excellent instruments but the quality did suffer at times, especially with the electronics, strange as it might sound for the japanese. I have had over 20 Japanese instruments from Aria Pro, Tokai, Greco, Yamaha and Fender. The majority have been excellent instruments with a bit of TLC and setting up and I would pick one of these over a USA Fender or Gibson, and I have had numerous of both. I think it unrealistic though to think that a regular modern Chinese made Aria will compete with either a USA Fender or Gibson, they are not built to the same level, the hardware is cheaper as are the electronics. I have had a couple of modern Aria and a modern Tokai and they are good, even great guitars for the money but they are built to a price.
You could spend the money upgrading all of that but in that case you could have bought a Jap one and made an investment in the process. For resale value though, only a USA Gibson will do.
I am a bit of a brand snob and found it hard to go to a new band lugging my Aria bass. I would often take my Fender to the audition and then if I got the gig, I would take my Aria...