Why become a member? ×

Nasty paintwork ding on new Jazz

Smythe

OK, last night I was setting off to practice with my new years eve project group. I was running late, the wind was howling and I had handfuls and shoulders full of music gear. Loading the car up with a struggle, finally get to the last item, my brand new Fender Jazz 66 reissue 2013 and a huge gust of wind takes the gig bag right out my hand/shoulder and deposits it with a thud into the middle of the road. Mortified isn't even a word I can use to describe how I'm feeling. The bang has took off two decent sized chips of paint work near the top of the body.

Unfortunately for me, I'm not one who appreciates the "roadworn" look, nor do I think chips/scratches give a bass "character".

So I was wondering, does anyone know of a good instrument restorer, preferably in the north of England?

I will appreciate all feedback...

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1387885471' post='2316781']
And then get a hard case...
[/quote]

Funnily enough i do have a couple of them, but to save on space in the car i fatefully opted on the cheap gig bag with no padding, a definite lesson learnt.....

[quote name='Smythe' timestamp='1387926144' post='2317385'] Funnily enough i do have a couple of them, but to save on space in the car i fatefully opted on the cheap gig bag with no padding, a definite lesson learnt..... [/quote] Now that's cruel. Good luck with the restoration.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1387872668' post='2316580']
Dave Wilson in Haltwhistle.

[url="http://www.dwilsonguitars.com/"]http://www.dwilsonguitars.com/[/url]

None better.
[/quote]

Had a quick peek at his site. The two language options in the top-right of the page amused me: English (Australia) or English (UK).

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1388251217' post='2320021']
Are you gonna keep getting it refinished every time it gets bumped ?
[/quote]

it wasnt just a bump my friend , it took off two LARGE chunks of paint work, one was probably 2 inch by half an inch and the other was about 1 n half inch by half and inch, with heavy cracking/veining around the damaged area. Ive had the bass refinished by Dave Wilson (thanks wateroftyne) and what a fantastic job he did. Here is a link to his facebook page where he conducts a lot of his business from:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002025970885&fref=ts

you will also see on this page my bass during its transformation, Its a white/cream Jazz.