Why become a member? ×

DHA EQ/DI pedal New

DHA

As our VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive is really a VT1-Std-Bass with an EQ and a DI on the end of it I was thinking I could offer just the EQ and DI in a seperate pedal for those who already have a VT1 or VT2? Or for those that want just an uncoloured EQ/DI.

It will be a solid state pedal so will have a battery and 9V connector and in a small box. There will be a 3 channel active EQ with a mid frequency Q, an i/p pad, level and DI Level. The DI will be a balanced XLR with a ground lift switch. There will be an in and out 1/4" jack as well. Could add a by-pass switch as well if people think it's required?

Might also do just an Eq and just a DI if it make sense.

Target prices would be EQ/DI £55 - EQ £45 and DI £35.

Could add a headphone amp as well as an option for an extra £15?

What you think?

Dave
DHA

Edited by DHA

I'm always keen to try any new or different DI/EQ. I currently use an LR Baggs or Orchid DI(for upright) and Sansamp/Aguilar DB924 depending on the gig. They all sound different. I've yet to track down a Demeter or Sadowsky. On functions, I think the Sadowsky is ahead of the pack (EQ bypass, tuner send and mute..so useful) but it really comes down to a musical eq and a great sounding DI output. Running on phantom power is a nice touch, but I understand it has limitations (limited current?).

I sometimes only use a DI (no amp) and I can see this happening more often, as PA's get better and transport get harder, so the more options the better.

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='229177' date='Jun 29 2008, 06:52 PM']I'm always keen to try any new or different DI/EQ. I currently use an LR Baggs or Orchid DI(for upright) and Sansamp/Aguilar DB924 depending on the gig. They all sound different. I've yet to track down a Demeter or Sadowsky. On functions, I think the Sadowsky is ahead of the pack (EQ bypass, tuner send and mute..so useful) but it really comes down to a musical eq and a great sounding DI output. Running on phantom power is a nice touch, but I understand it has limitations (limited current?).

I sometimes only use a DI (no amp) and I can see this happening more often, as PA's get better and transport get harder, so the more options the better.

BB[/quote]

Useful info. Can do phantom power as there is no valve to power and the tuner mute is a good idea.

Thanks

Dave

Very interesting.

I would suggest:

- Add Phantom power (as suggested before me)
- Headphone amp with stereo input mini-jack. Great for playing along with iPod.
- I wouldn't need a bypass switch but in some situations (e.g. where the pedal is used as a stopbox eq) it could be usefull.
- EQ+DI in the same (as small as possible) box
- a button similar to the "color" button of the MXR M80

Edited by Silent Fly

[quote name='BassBod' post='229971' date='Jun 30 2008, 07:50 PM']SF has a point - something like the Aguilar or Demeter valve DI. Power supply (built in) valve and audio transformer...and a ground lift. Might need some sockets...

BB[/quote]

I was thinking to something slightly different: solid state and transformerless. Nothing against valves but I think DHA production has enough products valve-based. :)

What do you think about our ideas so far DHA?

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='230031' date='Jun 30 2008, 08:44 PM']I was thinking to something slightly different: solid state and transformerless. Nothing against valves but I think DHA production has enough products valve-based. :)

What do you think about our ideas so far DHA?[/quote]

It's a SS design I have in mind. If you want valves and a DI then buy the VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive.

Dave

I'm looking at DIs at the moment; I intend to get a VT Bass as an amp modeller going into some kind of stereo modulation and was looking at the Radial ProD2 passive stereo DI box. A headphone amp would also be very useful in this kind of setup, so I'm watching to see what you come up with!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='230562' date='Jul 1 2008, 02:24 PM']I'm looking at DIs at the moment; I intend to get a VT Bass as an amp modeller going into some kind of stereo modulation and was looking at the Radial ProD2 passive stereo DI box. A headphone amp would also be very useful in this kind of setup, so I'm watching to see what you come up with![/quote]

Looking for a home for the prototype if you are interested?

Dave

ive just moved out into a much nicer neighbourhood and i suddenly feel horrible playing all my stuff really loudly,

headphone amp sounds ace
loads of control over the mids sounds super ace, i love control over the mids.

i'd love to be kept informed with how this is going, i love the tones of my Pearce BC1 preamp and also of my sansamp, but i'd love to have a go with one of these.

any headphoney type things i've used in the past have only given me rubbish tones.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='230600' date='Jul 1 2008, 03:09 PM']Dave, what do you have to say on the matter of active vs. passive DIs in the chain I was talking about above? I thought I would be best off with a passive DI like the Radial JDI or ProDI.[/quote]

My design is active but I do have a design for a transformer passive DI as well but I have not built one yet.

[quote name='rayfw' post='230658' date='Jul 1 2008, 04:38 PM']The EBS is >£200[/quote]

But I guess that is nearer my VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive in spec anyway which is now £149.99. Once this goes to PCB it will also have a headphone amp.

So a DHA-EQ/DI will have 3 channel active EQ with mid range Q, balanced XLR DI and 1/4" jack line out, 1/4" jack in, DI level, i/p pad, output level, toggle switch to by-pass the eq, 9-12VDC connector, Stereo headphone jack with level, DI ground lift, bright switch, tuner mute footswitch and 1/4" tuner jack.

Could have a PP3 battery but not sure how long it will last due to the headphone amp. No phantom power as it will require a fair amount of current and most desks will not supply it.

Cost will be £75 + P&P

A DHA-DI will have a balanced XLR DI and 1/4" in and out, DI level, phantom power and switch, PP3 battery and 9-12VDC power connector. Cost will be £45 + P&P

What you think?

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='230804' date='Jul 1 2008, 07:21 PM']But I guess that is nearer my VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive in spec anyway which is now £149.99. Once this goes to PCB it will also have a headphone amp.

So a DHA-EQ/DI will have 3 channel active EQ with mid range Q, balanced XLR DI and 1/4" jack line out, 1/4" jack in, DI level, i/p pad, output level, toggle switch to by-pass the eq, 9-12VDC connector, Stereo headphone jack with level, DI ground lift, bright switch, tuner mute footswitch and 1/4" tuner jack.

Could have a PP3 battery but not sure how long it will last due to the headphone amp. No phantom power as it will require a fair amount of current and most desks will not supply it.

Cost will be £75 + P&P
(...)[/quote]

It sounds interesting.

I assume that by "3 channel active EQ" you actually mean "3 band active EQ" unless I am wrong and the pedal has 3 separate channels with EQ for each one (which would be very cool).

I would have liked a mini-jack stereo input to play along mp3 players but I could live without it.

[quote name='DHA' post='230804' date='Jul 1 2008, 07:21 PM'](...)
A DHA-DI will have a balanced XLR DI and 1/4" in and out, DI level, phantom power and switch, PP3 battery and 9-12VDC power connector. Cost will be £45 + P&P

What you think?

Dave[/quote]

With a simple DI, you are in the same territory of other DIs that cost around the same money. I think that to be interesting it has to sound exceptionally well (which I am sure it will be the case).

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='230825' date='Jul 1 2008, 07:45 PM']It sounds interesting.

I assume that by "3 channel active EQ" you actually mean "3 band active EQ" unless I am wrong and the pedal has 3 separate channels with EQ for each one (which would be very cool).

I would have liked a mini-jack stereo input to play along mp3 players but I could live without it.

With a simple DI, you are in the same territory of other DIs that cost around the same money. I think that to be interesting it has to sound exceptionally well (which I am sure it will be the case).[/quote]

Yes, sorry 3 band.

I will have a look at the iPod input but as that is a new design I don't want to commit until I have tried it.

Dave

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='234446' date='Jul 7 2008, 07:59 PM']Hi Dave/DHA,

Do you have anynews about these pedals?

Silent Fly[/quote]

Hi,

Didn't get much of a response so will most likely stick with the VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive design and add the headphone amp and maybe the stereo line in/out when it goes to PCB.

I might use the same PCB without the valve drive part as a lower cost SS EQ/DI with headphones at a later date.

Dave

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='234446' date='Jul 7 2008, 07:59 PM']Hi Dave/DHA,

Do you have anynews about these pedals?

Silent Fly[/quote]

Hi,

The final production of the VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive is now complete as the new PCB and design has been tested. Anyone waiting for a VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive will receive the new version in the couple of weeks.

Pictures soon but it has the following features.

VT1 valve overdrive with active EQ, Q sweep, balanced DI, line in/out, headphone amp, Colour switch, bright switch, selectable clean Boost with level, DI gnd lift.

10 knobs, 4 switches all on the top of the box.

knobs -

left to right (top row) i/p pad, Gain, Boost, Level, Q
left to right (bottom row) Headphone/line out level, DI Level, Treble, Mid, Bass

switches -

left to right, Colour, Bright, Boost, DI gnd lift.

connections -

1/4" jack instrument in and out.
XLR balanced DI out
2.5mm power connector
2.5mm stereo jack headphone/line out
2.5mm stereo jack line in.

The DI and line out/headphones are on all the time there is power connected but the EQ and valve drive is selected with true by-pass with the footswitch. The EQ is active and there is a mid range Q sweep.

The line in allows the user to play along to backing, cd's, mp3's, iPod, etc. on the headphones/line out.

Colour adds gain, distortion and compression - almost fuzz.

Thanks to all for the comments and reviews which have helped develop this product. There is a short but very good review in the latest UK bassplayer mag.

We are trying to keep the price low for a pedal with all these features as we see it as our volume bass product so keeping the £149 plus P&P and including Power supply for a while.

Dave