Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fender custom shop 60's pick ups

bobbytodd

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1387138586' post='2308620']
ordered.is it worth upgrading the pots while I have it apart.if so any recomendations
[/quote]

I think if you`re treating yourself, contact KiOgon above - his wiring looms are reported on here as being the business.

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1387138586' post='2308620']
ordered.is it worth upgrading the pots while I have it apart.if so any recomendations
[/quote]Definitely - with a quality set of innards you're upgrading the bass to USA spec (internally), where it matters.
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1387138757' post='2308624']
I think if you`re treating yourself, contact KiOgon above - his wiring looms are reported on here as being the business.
[/quote]Cheerz, Lozz

I've got 60's custom shop in my '76 jazz (thats how I bought it).

It's gonna be different to the Seymors but not necessarily better to your ears. I remember playing a warmoth body - vintage neck jazz with Seymors in and honestly I can't really tell which one I like better.
The CS 60s are supposed to sound like the original vintage 60s pups but they aren't made the same way, also there's always the wood-pups-player combination that affect the sound greatly. I've heard my musicman stingray5 played by a few different people and they all sounded different :)...
I am buying a set of original 70's for my bass now, I know there won't be much of a difference (or would it?) but as Bass Doc said to me - you will feel better :)

So good luck and I hope you'll like them, if you don't , there's always the 30 days return policy ;)

Steff

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1387189529' post='2309049']
I've got 60's custom shop in my '76 jazz (thats how I bought it).

It's gonna be different to the Seymors but not necessarily better to your ears. I remember playing a warmoth body - vintage neck jazz with Seymors in and honestly I can't really tell which one I like better.
The CS 60s are supposed to sound like the original vintage 60s pups but they aren't made the same way, also there's always the wood-pups-player combination that affect the sound greatly. I've heard my musicman stingray5 played by a few different people and they all sounded different :)...
I am buying a set of original 70's for my bass now, I know there won't be much of a difference (or would it?) but as Bass Doc said to me - you will feel better :)

So good luck and I hope you'll like them, if you don't , there's always the 30 days return policy ;)

Steff
[/quote]

Just to clarify, the O.P is thinking about changing the Duncan-designed pickups that came as standard on his Squier VM Jazz ,rather than a set of USA-made Seymour Duncan Jazz Bass pickups, which would be, as you quite rightly point out, a bit of a sideways move in terms of upgrading.

On the subject of your 70's Jazz, a set of genuine original '70's Jazz pickups should actually sound very different to the Fender CS60's you have now for a whole host of reasons, not least of all that the CS60's are overwound for more output and a more meaty tone, whereas as during the 1970's Fender began to progressively underwind their pickups as a way of making them cheaper to manufacture, as well as swtiching to ceramic wire for a while at a certain point in the mid '70's. Inadvertently, the result was a very different sounding pickup that helped give the 1970's basses their characteristic sound.

Good point about the Duncan designed pups,

I've just put a pair of 70s pickups in mine(thanks to Bass Doc), so the CS 60s will be up for sale soon. Already can hear a difference plugged in my computer, can't wait to test them on a gig tomorrow!

There's a few treads on talkbass about the difference between CS 60s and original 60s pups, some guy did a A/B and found significant(in my opinion) differences. The CS sounded more refined, smoother, with more mellow highs. The original 60s were much punchier which is actually what I really value in a Fender basses because they already have those nice soft lows and for my playing I need a pickups that'll be nice and smooth when I play light and punchy and growly when I dig in. I can already hear the 70s I just got are much closer to that than the CS 60s. And I can confirm, I already feel better :)...

Edited by Steff

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1387587701' post='2313716']
Good point about the Duncan designed pups,

I've just put a pair of 70s pickups in mine(thanks to Bass Doc), so the CS 60s will be up for sale soon. Already can hear a difference plugged in my computer, can't wait to test them on a gig tomorrow!

There's a few treads on talkbass about the difference between CS 60s and original 60s pups, some guy did a A/B and found significant(in my opinion) differences. The CS sounded more refined, smoother, with more mellow highs. The original 60s were much punchier which is actually what I really value in a Fender basses because they already have those nice soft lows and for my playing I need a pickups that'll be nice and smooth when I play light and punchy and growly when I dig in. I can already hear the 70s I just got are much closer to that than the CS 60s. And I can confirm, I already feel better :)...
[/quote]

The more mellow highs on the CS60's is partly due to the slight overwinding. It makes the pickup a little bit louder and pushes the lower midrange frequencies a bit more , but the trade-off is that it rolls off the treble response. A lot of '70's Fender Jazz pickups , especially mid to late 70's ones, have got significantly less wire on them so the treble is more extended and the mids have a slightly different emphasis.