Why become a member? ×

impending NBD: 5-strings in the house. Oh, the horror! :)

mcnach

Do I play 5 string basses?
No.

Do I ever feel I am missing something in any of the bands I play with?
Not really.
Sometimes I think "ah, this would surely be a bit easier on a 5er", but that's about it.
I use Hipshot Bass EXtenders to detune the E to D in a few of my basses, and other than that I'm happy with EADG.

So, do I want a 5-string bass?
A little.
(ah, so it's not about needing)

Have I tried 5-string basses before?
Yup.
I owned a few.
They all suffered identical fate: neglect and sale.

Do I really want a 5-string bass?
Well, I want something quite specific.

That something... came to my attention on Sunday or Monday night.

I would like a 5-string if it were a Stingray, essentially. BUT, I really don't like their narrow string spacing.
I have recently "improved" a 5-string Stagg Stingray copy (thank you, Ou7shined! :)), which has a wide neck and wide string spacing... and it just confirmed to me just how much better wide spacing it works for me. The bass, however, it's not exactly a contender when standing next to my Stingray or SUBs.

A while ago I decided that a Lakland 55-02 would probably be a decent compromise. It would not have *the* Stingray sound, unfortunately, but it sounds good, the neck seems right... and it's pretty :P
But it had to be natural finish with a maple neck. And earlier this week, I saw such a thing advertised in this forum.

It's now making its way towards Edinburgh, and I can't wait to get it in my hands!!! :)

It looks like this:

How could I possibly resist? :lol:

EBMM does not want to make a 19mm spacing Stingray-5, then it's got to be Lakland to the rescue. :happy:

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1386964974' post='2307031']
It looks great - but I think your tital about the horror is a bit misleading - I've lost count on the number of 5 strings you've had down the years! :D
[/quote]

Ha ha :lol: you're right!

1 - Cruiser soemthing or another. Two MM style pickups. Wide neck. Too wide (I thought)
I sold it after maybe playing it for a total of 3 hours.

2 - Washburn PB2500. Single MM style pickup. Narrow spacing. Similar fate as the Cruiser. Ah no, rather than selling it, I traded it for an Ashdown MAG250 head and a mini 15" cab to go with it. I used the amp in teh first week more than I had used the bass in months.

3 - EBMM SUB5. Lovely. Great sound. Narrow spacing. I used this one a bit more, because at least it had the sound I liked. Still, not much use, and I wished it had a wider string spacing.

4 - G&L L2500 Tribute series. Ash natural and maple. Beast. Awesome bass. Narrow spacing. I sold the SUB5 first, then this one soon after. Eventually I got an L2000, also ash natural and maple.

5 - I sold those two when I found that a Squier deLuxe V felt much more at home. Wide neck and spacing... the pickups were not right. The bridge pickup was farther from the bridge than usual for a Jazz, bringing it nicely into a more MM-like territory... but the pickups were a bit polite and the preamp nasty... Eventually I let it go too.

6 - That Stagg Stingray copy thing... I barely got it fixed and the Lakland has shown up, so I'm not sure whether I'll give up on these two soon or what... But this time I got it right, I think. If I don't get along with the Lakland, then that's it and I'll forget about 5-string basses :lol:

Edit: I also owned, briefly, a Peavey Millennium. Very very narrow spacing....

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1386972950' post='2307167']
I like the look of that. I'll need to have a shot on it. ;-) are you about over Christmas? We could have a bass party!
[/quote]

I'm going away, but coming back on the 29th and I have another two weeks holidays after that so if you're free in early January... :-)

That is precisely the colour and model I'm after myself. I intended for one to pair with the 55-01 I had in maple/natural which I bitterly regret having to sell when the gearbox in my car decided to erupt earlier in the year.

If the 02 feels/plays as nicely as the 01 (and I see no reason why it shouldn't), I think you'll really enjoy it! ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1386971054' post='2307135']
Ha ha :lol: you're right!

1 - Cruiser soemthing or another. Two MM style pickups. Wide neck. Too wide (I thought)
I sold it after maybe playing it for a total of 3 hours.

2 - Washburn PB2500. Single MM style pickup. Narrow spacing. Similar fate as the Cruiser. Ah no, rather than selling it, I traded it for an Ashdown MAG250 head and a mini 15" cab to go with it. I used the amp in teh first week more than I had used the bass in months.

3 - EBMM SUB5. Lovely. Great sound. Narrow spacing. I used this one a bit more, because at least it had the sound I liked. Still, not much use, and I wished it had a wider string spacing.

4 - G&L L2500 Tribute series. Ash natural and maple. Beast. Awesome bass. Narrow spacing. I sold the SUB5 first, then this one soon after. Eventually I got an L2000, also ash natural and maple.

5 - I sold those two when I found that a Squier deLuxe V felt much more at home. Wide neck and spacing... the pickups were not right. The bridge pickup was farther from the bridge than usual for a Jazz, bringing it nicely into a more MM-like territory... but the pickups were a bit polite and the preamp nasty... Eventually I let it go too.

6 - That Stagg Stingray copy thing... I barely got it fixed and the Lakland has shown up, so I'm not sure whether I'll give up on these two soon or what... But this time I got it right, I think. If I don't get along with the Lakland, then that's it and I'll forget about 5-string basses :lol:

Edit: I also owned, briefly, a Peavey Millennium. Very very narrow spacing....
[/quote] wasn't the court you got a 5 too?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1387019581' post='2307439']

:) I know this bass hass changed hands a couple of times in BC, were you one of the previous owners?
[/quote]No, but I own a 55-02 and they're very consistent; knowing your playing and tonal preferences from other threads I reckon this'll suit you down to the ground, it even matches the bass in your avatar. Enjoy.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1386980535' post='2307268']
That is precisely the colour and model I'm after myself. I intended for one to pair with the 55-01 I had in maple/natural which I bitterly regret having to sell when the gearbox in my car decided to erupt earlier in the year.

If the 02 feels/plays as nicely as the 01 (and I see no reason why it shouldn't), I think you'll really enjoy it! ;)
[/quote]

I'm glad I got there before you :P, for it's exactly the model and finish I was after too.
I would have preferred a single MM pickup, very slightly further from the bridge (Stingray!), but they don't make a version like that, and who knows? I might end up liking the extra sounds!

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1387019764' post='2307442']
No, but I own a 55-02 and they're very consistent; knowing your playing and tonal preferences from other threads I reckon this'll suit you down to the ground, it even matches the bass in your avatar. Enjoy.
[/quote]

I haven't been this excited about a bass since I got my Stingray (on my avatar). And comments like yours don't help me wait calmly :P

I just checked the tracking... it's already in Edinburgh. :gas:
"Planned delivery date 16th December" :) :) :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1386978535' post='2307251']
I'm going away, but coming back on the 29th and I have another two weeks holidays after that so if you're free in early January... :-)
[/quote]

Sounds good. I'll give you a shout via PM nearer the time. I've even stocked up on Caesar Augustus and other Williams Bros treats :D

Well, the bass arrived today.

Very disappointed with the packaging job... IT WAS AMAZING! So it took me a little while to unpack it, peeling layer after layer, so cruel... oh so cruel! :lol:
The seller, "chardbass", used supermarket bags stuffed with more bags inside the hard case, to ensure the bass fitted snugly and did not move about. That works really well! I will certainly use this trick next time I post instruments. I thought maybe some of you might find it interesting too.

The bass is really nice :)
It's practically mint, seriously. It's so pretty that previous owners must have spent most of the time just staring at it, I imagine :P

I love the body shape, how it balances... the neck is fantastic... the string spacing is just perfect... It's better than I expected in every way. Because I don't really pla 5 strings, my technique leaves something to be desired when it comes to muting. And slap? So many extranoeus noises get added... urgh... but I find it a lot easier than other 5-string basses. The string spacing really helps a lot for me.

35" scale is interesting. On the one hand, I can barely tell... only if I close my eyes I notice that my hands miss the intended spot I wanted to go to, ever so slightly... But not more than what I get when playing a bass I'm not used to, and I adjust in a few minutes. But I do think the extra inch may help achieve a nicer tension overall, and the B string does ring clear and sounds like it belongs with the others, a natural extension, with depth and definition.

Great bass!!!

The only reaosn it could never be my number one is... it's not a Stingray. I knew that. But it does a great fat Jazz, which is not bad as it's my second favourite sound. :)
Ah, if only they had moved that bridge pickup a little farther from the bridge! :( It would have been perfect then. ;)

It's the most comfortable 5-string bass I have every tried... so perhaps I can conquer 5-stringdom at last, even 'though I don't really need one, it'll be nice to have the ability to play more across the strings than up and down, and having a few extra lower notes could be cool at times too. There are some things in my main band where I'd play a C#, and I've been either playing it an octave higher or playing a ghost note instead... with this I can play a fatter C#, oh yes :)

GAS is great sometimes :)

Hi Jose..I fancy one off these and have been looking at the other ones for sale here , as well as the one you bought , Just can't make up my mind..Since selling my DJ been missing a 5....Hope you enjoy playing this one...All the best John...ps ..still got your DVD....

[quote name='haimesy' timestamp='1387286058' post='2310206']
Hi Jose..I fancy one off these and have been looking at the other ones for sale here , as well as the one you bought , Just can't make up my mind..Since selling my DJ been missing a 5....Hope you enjoy playing this one...All the best John...ps ..still got your DVD....
[/quote]

Hey, we should get together and you can have a go with the 55-02. Join me and Sam (uncle psychosis) in January?
Larry Graham DVD, right? :) I remember. Sorry it's been so complicated to arrange another time to meet! Let's fix that :)

Oh, I discovered the switches that set the frequency centre for the mids... it was set at 900Hz.
At 275Hz it was very interesting and fat, hmmm. But at 600Hz it was the best.... which turns out it's the default. With the humbucker set as single coil, using the coil fartherst from the bridge, it still does not sound like a Stingray, but it has a little of its spirit. I like it a lot. :)

Of course, only now I found that Lakland actually did a real Stingray type bass, the 55-76... very rare, as it was only made for a short time. ;)