Why become a member? ×

Refinished Fender bass value (or any other bass really).

itsmedunc

I keep on seeing Fender bodies up for sale on ebay etc that are refinished. Mostly these are (allegedly) vintage bodies. Once they are refinished (with loving care of course), are they really worth any more than a new body?
The wood could be the same age etc. So, does a 50 year old wooden body sound any different to a new wooden body that has been built of the same material and to the same spec?
Can a player honestly tell the quality under its new coat? I honestly don't know?

I can mostly go along with the neck, hardware and the electrics etc having real value in that respect but for some reason, the paintwork has some sort of greater value to me? For me the paintwork is part of the basses personality and so part and parcel of its life. Why repaint it to sell? Would you refinish your vintage Fender to sell? If you were a buyer would you want a pristine vintage thats been refinished? I would definitely want the real deal warts and all...

Lots of questions. Here are my views:

Firstly, we need to define 'vintage'. I'm going to take a punt at anything up to the mid-70s. Obviously that's up for debate.
Secondly, I'm thinking of Fender Ps, purely because those are what I know something about.

Is a refinished body worth more than a new body? Well, a vintage bass in original condition except for a refin will fetch more than a new MIA, so, in that respect, yes. Whether it's actually better is another debate.

I have refinished a bass, and there was no discernable difference in tone.

In general, people do NOT refinish a bass in order to sell it. The market has shown that a refin will significantly DECREASE the value of a vintage bass. The refinish is usually something that has been done much earlier in its lifetime. It could have been done simply because at the time it was worth less, and a refin didn't change the value that much. Or maybe they just thought it was a keeper.

So, no, no one in their right mind would refinish a vintage bass to sell it, and no collector in their right mind would want a refinished bass over one in original (albiet worn) condition.

Mine is a '78, so not vintage by my standards. It started out life olympic white but by the time I had bought it in 2001, it had been stripped to natural bare wood. After about eleven years, I fancied a change and painted it orange! I never intend to sell it, but if I did, I'm guessing that it's as valuable now as it was stripped.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1386640983' post='2302650']
I keep on seeing Fender bodies up for sale on ebay etc that are refinished. Mostly these are (allegedly) vintage bodies. Once they are refinished (with loving care of course), are they really worth any more than a new body?
The wood could be the same age etc. So, does a 50 year old wooden body sound any different to a new wooden body that has been built of the same material and to the same spec?
Can a player honestly tell the quality under its new coat? I honestly don't know?

I can mostly go along with the neck, hardware and the electrics etc having real value in that respect but for some reason, the paintwork has some sort of greater value to me? For me the paintwork is part of the basses personality and so part and parcel of its life. Why repaint it to sell? Would you refinish your vintage Fender to sell? If you were a buyer would you want a pristine vintage thats been refinished? I would definitely want the real deal warts and all...
[/quote]

The value of the story is in the reader.

[quote name='AMC123' timestamp='1386709463' post='2303543']
Why would you want to destroy the character of a 'vintage' bass by repainting it? Sounds iffy. Are they coming from a Shop or just lone ebay seller?
[/quote]

One person's "character" is another person's "tatty piece of crap".