Why become a member? ×

Fender MIJ Basses

lancer

The MIJ/CIJ basses are great, but some which started out being Japanese, but which are now Mexican (Classic 70s) are still great. I know MIMs have their doubters, but really, these are very good - if they were better when made in japan they must have been awesome.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Lozz.. Although they have had bad press in the past, the MIM's nowadays are much better than they used to be.

My Duff McKagain Sig was made in Mexico and is fantastic - thanks again Lozz for selling it back to me!!.. ;)

Also, when some models are moved over to Mex they are refining some slightly.. I remember the Jap Jaguar basses used to hiss badly, but the Mex ones were meant to address this a bit etc etc.

I know the Geddy Lee basses, which are now made in Mexico, have had their tuners upgraded as the 70's style ones they were originally fitted with were not great. The pickups in the Geddy are different too. Not sure what they've replaced them with but I know the Mexican made, roadworn pickups I have in my Jazz are really excellent.

My Geddy is CIJ and my Nate Mendel is MIM. They're both excellent. I haven't played a precision before that I like as much as the Mendel and we've had a fair few through the shop from all Fender ranges and I've played a number of vintage precisions. The quality these days has to be great because there is so much competition in the budget/mid range price bracket!