Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cabs - recommend me an amp

Dropzone

OK here we go. At auditions last night looking for a new shredder trying the S12 and PF500 the "fault" light came on, which I presume was over heating. At least it faulted and didn't blow smoke everywhere and started working 30 seconds later. I am presuming this is as it is 2ohms and the PF is built for 4 ohms. I was really happy with the tone, was exactly what I am looking for.

So my situation is I want to use a S12 and have the option of adding a compact if I need extra volume or stage presence ;-)

Is there an amp out there that can power both cabs at the same time all day long, maybe with a biamp??? Any suggestions welcome, I will be looking in the sub £1k department so do not need a super boutique thing ;-)

Ta

Mike

The S12 is 4 ohms, using it with a Compact (8 ohms) will mean presenting a 2.666 Ohm load to the amp, which will release the magic smoke... You can use both cabs together, but you'll need a special speaker cable to do so, tho that'll mean they're in series, and presenting 12 ohms - the PF might struggle to push them.

I was only using the S12, which should have been fine. It was loud and cutting through amazingly well. No smoke and came back on with no problems, so the protection circuit was obviously working which is good, but not at the loud volume I occaisionally need to not worry about cutting out.

I used a Gallien Krueger RB700-II with my S12 (one of the amps Alex recommended) ... monsterous !
I'd probably go for the GK RB400-IV 2nd time round as it'll 'growl' sooner .. 700 was too loud lol !

just my 2c

sure there're loads of good compatible amps out there

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1386175197' post='2296769']
Bought it S/H off a BC member and have sent him an email to see if it is in warranty. Great amp for someone who is not a volume monster.
[/quote]

Should be ok, I used my first one (the trouble-free one I sold) with a 4ohm 410 and gigging in a metal band with 2 half-stack guitar amps never needed the volume on more than 5 (gain on 7).