Why become a member? ×

Multi-Effect Recommendations?

Norris

I have a Boss ME-50B, but it can't do what I want it to.

I need a compressor, chorus, delay & octaver at least. However, I need it to be able to switch between effects seamlessly. The ME-50B can't do this, as it has a moment of silence as it switches between patches. I'm not keen on the lack of display, as it's difficult to know exactly which patch I'm on without being able to name my patches. Also, it's difficult to record the settings for my patches as I can't tell the exact parameters, there is no midi backup, and no foot operated bank switches. (Anybody want to buy it off me now that I've painted such a rosy picture of it?!)

I'm playing the Pink Floyd track Happiest Days of Our Lives (the bit leading into Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2), and need to switch between a multi-repeat echo, single-repeat echo and flat sound (cancelling any echoing repeats) as I'm playing. I've played around with a Boss GT5 which can seamlessly switch between echo patches, but it's a bit lacking when using the octaver as being a guitar pedal it has trouble locking onto low frequencies.

I'm considering the GT-6B & GT-10B, but have you got any other recommendations of pedals I should try? Ease of use and reliability are more important than cost, although that is obviously a consideration. I also need at least 3 patches per bank, preferably more. I will be DI'ed into the desk, so a connection from the pedal would be good. I don't really need any amp/cab emulation.

Thanks in advance...

[quote name='Norris' post='227649' date='Jun 26 2008, 10:15 PM']The ME-50B can't do this, as it has a moment of silence as it switches between patches.[/quote]

That was a problem for me too.

FWIW, my guitarist's GNX4 doesn't have this lag, nor does another mate's GT-6.

Mark

I'd be looking at a [url="http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=AX3000B&category_id=6"]Korg AX-3000B[/url]. I have one of their little Ampworks boxes that has a similar modeling engine. You can do things like select a Patch, then switch to Individual mode to toggle each effect on or off.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. That Korg pedal looks rather good & is half the price of the GT-10B and nearly half the Zoom pedal price. (£124 from [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Korg---AX300B~ID~4563.asp"]Sounds Live[/url]) Any comments on the sound quality/ease of use? Is it easy to set up without using PC software? (Not that that's really a problem)

The Zoom looks like it could be prone to mis-stomping in the heat of a gig - the switches look rather close together. I struggle enough with the borrowed GT-5 to hit the right one at the right moment! (BTW, does the Zoom sound twice as good being nearly twice the price of the Korg?! :))

I have had a short play around with a Pod XT Live, but think life is too short to master setting it up! I couldn't get a decent octaver sound and was reluctant to download software to do so, especially as it said I should have latest firmware. I don't want to break a borrowed pedal trying to upgrade firmware!

Anybody tried the GT-10B yet? How does that compare to the Korg & Zoom? Much better than the GT-6B? Would I be paying through the nose for the 'Boss' badge?

As you may tell, I'm relatively new to using effects, having survived reasonably well for 20 or so years without them. Upwards & onwards though. All comments are [b]very[/b] much valued. Keep 'em coming...

[quote name='cheddatom' post='227773' date='Jun 27 2008, 08:45 AM']What about a Zoom b9.1ut? I don't know if they're out yet though.[/quote]

[url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG02373"]iMuso[/url] are listing them. they don't show stock levels though

[quote name='bnt' post='228205' date='Jun 27 2008, 05:44 PM']I'd be looking at a [url="http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=AX3000B&category_id=6"]Korg AX-3000B[/url]. I have one of their little Ampworks boxes that has a similar modeling engine. You can do things like select a Patch, then switch to Individual mode to toggle each effect on or off.[/quote]

+1000 on the AX3000B it truly is an amazing piece of kit and it can also be combined with other stomps really well! Ive had it for nearly 2 years now and it has never let me down!

Rich

I'm torn. I think the GT-10B might be a bit overkill for what I need (and also a bit on the costly side). I'm keen to try to Korg and the GT-6B. I'm still not sure on the Zoom - it's the footswitches themselves, they seem too small and close together.

Now I just need to find somewhere in the Midlands that has any of the pedals in stock so I can try before I buy.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody that has managed to compare 2 or more of these pedals, from both a sound quality and usability perspective bearing in mind I'm going to be using it live

[quote name='Norris' post='230284' date='Jul 1 2008, 08:24 AM']Now I just need to find somewhere in the Midlands that has any of the pedals in stock so I can try before I buy.[/quote]

Peterborough Music has some multi's in (not too far from Leicester either) - I tried them there but didn't like the Boss and went for a Bass POD xtl but like the look of the new Zoom. I also tried out a Korg AX3000B - miles better than the POD for fx and the synths are a lot of fun but I wasn't sure about how well some of the knobs would put up with abuse long-term.

[quote]I'd be interested to hear from anybody that has managed to compare 2 or more of these pedals, from both a sound quality and usability perspective bearing in mind I'm going to be using it live[/quote]

I did a set of comparison vids earlier this year between the Korg and my POD - see this thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15379&hl=korg+AX3000B"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...hl=korg+AX3000B[/url]

Edited by FJ1200

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MB1' post='238611' date='Jul 13 2008, 04:52 PM']MB1. :)
DIGITECH BNX3....Benwhiteuk is selling one on the forum at the moment check it out!
one of the best all in pedalboards on the market at the moment!(check the reviews on Harmony Central).[/quote]
+1 on the BNX3 but I have found it does take a while to get used to setting it up and can be a bit of a palava. But well worth persevering with it to obtain a great range of sounds.

Anyone used a Behringer BASS V-AMP??

I've just been lent one with the option of buying it for £30.
No instruction manual with it tho, and I'm just a simple soul and there's only one knob I generally twiddle with, so this looks a bit time consuming to set up etc.

I'll give it a try over the next few days, but am just interested in a bit of subject feedback :)

M.

[quote name='Marky L' post='240890' date='Jul 16 2008, 02:28 PM']Anyone used a Behringer BASS V-AMP??
I've just been lent one with the option of buying it for £30.[/quote]

Unless it's totally knackered I'd buy it at that price. The manual can be downloaded [url="http://www.behringer.com/LX1-B/index.cfm?lang=ENG"]here[/url].

Andy

[quote name='Alien' post='241438' date='Jul 17 2008, 01:00 AM']Unless it's totally knackered I'd buy it at that price. The manual can be downloaded [url="http://www.behringer.com/LX1-B/index.cfm?lang=ENG"]here[/url].

Andy[/quote]

Thanks for the link Andy.

Now it's playtime :)

M.