Why become a member? ×

Converting to a 5 String

Bobs

Hi

Hope someone can help and point me in the right direction.I'm looking for the most economic and short way to play now the years are getting on and need confirming if by getting a 5 string then I would be able to play a full 2 octive range by using the bottom b string on 5th fret as bottom e going up to the 9th fret on top c string for the 2 active e?. Appreciate any help pros Con's etc

Yes - a 5-string will allow you to play more lines in one position although I suspect, in the long term, it won't be a massively important 'short cut' to playing. THe neck will be marginally wider and the physical demands of playing wider neck will offer challenges developmentally but, in the long term, this will make minimal difference. A 5-string certainly offers options that a 4-string doesn't so it is worth going for it.

My advice is forget stressing about those kinds of details and get playing. There are no real short cuts, just the illusion of short-cuts; the fact is that you just have to do it.

All the strings are useful.

Some numbers, arrangements or keys sound better on a 5 string and some numbers don't need the low notes. I use all 5 strings, because I play across the neck, so I use the B string on most numbers but only go below E if needed, or I want to.

I only take one bass to gigs so a 5 string bass is the most flexible instrument to play.

I bought a 5 string in the summer to give me the option of playing more songa with a lower tuning without having to de-tune and I absolutley love it! It takes a bit of getting used to but it's a good investment. As the previous comments say, it gives you more options and a wider range of notes, especially if you're playing something in the key of Eb, or something jazzy.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1385557917' post='2289578']
As a new convert to 5 strings can I please add to Bob's questions with one of my own?

Do folk generally find a B or a C string most useful?
And for what genres of music?

(Apologies to Bob if you object to adding this)
[/quote]

A low B would be of most use to the average bassist. You'd use it for everything really, don't forget that while yes you have the new lower notes, if also shifts the notes that are normally the lowest F, F#, G etc up onto the 6 fret onwards on the B string, so you can play in one position and cover everything from low E up to high E on the 9th fret of the G string easily. That's primarily my main thing, great if you're reading or following charts, you don't need to keep looking away from your music.

Edited by ambient

• 1 month later...

I've been playing 5-string since I was 14 (9 years ago) and haven't looked back. Even if you don't use the lower notes regularly it's a great option to have available, and it saves on down tuning the E at any point.

For a while I was playing in a 'hardcore' band and that required the lower notes during the breakdowns.

Also, it's easier if you have to borrow a bass, you'll know how to play both 4- and 5-string basses.

A trap that a lot of 5 string players fall into is only using the notes Eb and below. Thats fine by all means if thats what you want, but one of the other reasons why I use a 5 string 90% of the time is so that I can extend my scales from the B string and back higher up the neck without running my fretting hand frantically up and down to play root notes. As soon as you get to a G on the B the tone tends to mud up a bit when you play sustained notes, but you don't really notice it if that much you play staccato style licks and runs. That can sometimes be remedied with a tapered string, but depending on how flat or saturated your overall tone is it might not make much difference. When you play even higher towards a D note and beyond the intonation can drop off a little too. So, there are pro's and con's to playing a 5 string.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1390319543' post='2344001']
A trap that a lot of 5 string players fall into is only using the notes Eb and below. Thats fine by all means if thats what you want, but one of the other reasons why I use a 5 string 90% of the time is so that I can extend my scales from the B string and back higher up the neck without running my fretting hand frantically up and down to play root notes. As soon as you get to a G on the B the tone tends to mud up a bit when you play sustained notes, but you don't really notice it if that much you play staccato style licks and runs. That can sometimes be remedied with a tapered string, but depending on how flat or saturated your overall tone is it might not make much difference. When you play even higher towards a D note and beyond the intonation can drop off a little too. So, there are pro's and con's to playing a 5 string.
[/quote]

Agreed, G is usually as high as I go on the B string but it does give you a really nice fingering for the E scales.

Steve

Dissimilar but when I use a six string I constantly get people "Totally pointless, you don't need all those notes"

To be honest I rarely use the higher notes you gain from the C string, I more often use it for ease and not having to jump up the fretboard.. Definitely true about falling into the trap of using B - Eb more often though.. I think it's just from usually playing the E as a top string and generally rooting around that position for E-Ab usually..