Why become a member? ×

Crown xls1000 or QSC GX5

GUI101

Hi All,

With the imminent arrival of my new custom Dave Hall pre, I have narrowed my search for a power amp down to the xls1000 and GX5.

This will be my first pre/power set up and I would appreciate it if any other BC'ers could lend their experiences (pros/cons) of these to help me decide.

I will be using a BF Big Baby 2 cab, playing a passive wawrick corvette.

I have to say that I am leaning more towards the GX5 as I think it would be more versatile in terms of future expanding of the rig and realise to achieve the same output power I would need to run the xls1000 in bridge mode.

Many Thanks
Gui

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1385338341' post='2287253'] What's wrong with running in bridge mode? [/quote]

Absolutely nothing, just a mere observation.
Running the xls bridged will allow for no lower than 1 4ohm load, but the QSC will do a 4ohm load per side as far as I understand with not much difference in terms of power output.

Reliability is key for me really, as both will give the power I am after albeit in slightly different ways.

Cheers
Gui

[quote name='GUI101' timestamp='1385408209' post='2287956']
Reliability is key for me really, as both will give the power I am after albeit in slightly different ways.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I can't speak for the GX5 but I have run a rig with a Crown power amp and it was very reliable indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if you've ordered already

I've used both Crown and QSC.

Had the Crown XLS 602 (I think) and honestly not very impressed with the sound. All working fine and solid but was a little muddy and boomy in the lows, wasn't as focused and tight. I did an A/B with this one and an Ampeg SVP 1500 and the difference was very noticeable. The Ampeg (still solid state) was very tight and musical, with lovely lows.

I am currently using a QSC CX702 and it sounds lovely, tight, clear, detailed... so that's +1 for QSC from me.

Steff

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='GUI101' timestamp='1385408209' post='2287956']
[/quote]

Both QSC and Crown have great reps for reliability to be honest.

• 1 month later...