Why become a member? ×

No Need To Learn Scales?

Hobbayne

Interesting discussion on the major 3rd, and I must look further into CK's comments on it. Having thought about it, I think I'm using it less and less myself - preferring to using as a very brief passing note on my way to somewhere else. And having just messed about with a bass line I'm putting together the major 3rd features very little. And I had even realised it.

As for learning scales, well they are easy to learn and on bass the finger patterns can be used anywhere. I believe they can only add to a musician's toolbox and make them a more rounded player.

I first started to learn music theory at the age of 14 when my parents paid for piano lessons, and could sight read pretty well. After a year or so I hated it because that's what 14-year olds are like. I did a few practice and theory exams, but nothing more. Looking back I regret not continuing with that more than anything: I'm sure I'd be a much better musician now if I had. My parents DID know best after all!

Yeah ! You's are right it would help to know them ;) but I just never really needed to ... Plus I would never go on stage to perform something I had never listened to before , it defo helps am sure but you can get along without that knowledge :)"diamond dugs" is the name , we are just about ready to start gigin with it ! Can't wait the bowie stuff is so much fun to play

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1385143812' post='2285012']
Carol Kaye always encouraged students to stay away from learning scales by rote and instead heavily encouraged (is she dead? I'm referring to her in the past tense and sounds natural) learning arpeggios. She also discouraged using major thirds and claimed to have played all the major Motown bass lines so you have to be careful with anything she says. Very generous with her time though.

[/quote]

My understanding of what I have heard Carol Kaye saying on this subject is that she advocates that musicians avoid [i]playing [/i]scales, rather than avoid learning and knowing them them as such . Carole knows all the scales herself , no doubt.

[quote name='Chooglin stu' timestamp='1385320443' post='2286901']
Wel am 28 and av been playing from the age of 15 ... I can't read any music and if you asked me to play a scale I wouldn't know where the hell to start lol but there's nothing I can't play ! I just need to hear a song and I pick it out and I always play the songs properly and miss nothing , my brothers the same , he plays guitar and together we play in a David bowie tribute band , so in my opinion you just need to have a good ear to be a good musician :)
[/quote]

So you've never thought "Oh, ***** how does this one start?"
You can't always get out the mp3 to hear it. You can look at the tabs, but they won't tell you the timing.

I guess it's all a question of "what do you want to do?" and "how good is good enough".

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1385323746' post='2286956']
So you've never thought "Oh, ***** how does this one start?"
You can't always get out the mp3 to hear it. You can look at the tabs, but they won't tell you the timing.
[/quote]

Not sure he would have sheets in from of him at a Bowie Tribute gig, even if he could read, so the comment is not relevant, read or not, he would have to know his songs well enough before performing, however he works them out.

Edited by lojo

Not learning scales and stuff is all well and good if you are in a tribute band or a covers band etc but if you jump on stage to sit in at a jazz gig or dep for a band at short notice and have to learn 20 songs in a week, good ears alone isn't going to get you through that.

I think it all depends on what type of musician you want to be.

Lots of wonderings why Carol Kaye said this or that. Go and read up what she actually said.

Whether you need to know anything about "music" depends on what you want to play. I knew a guy who wrote pretty good songs without any musical knowledge at all. He used to say it goes like this. Didn't hold back his song writing or our playing of his songs.

Players will progress as far and as fast as they want, but this sounds like a good site for getting the very beginners over one of their first hurdles, playing their first songs.