Why become a member? ×

Looking at a second-hand cab tonight - any advice on what to look and listen for?

BassYerbouti

Take your own bass, amp and leads if you can. Try it out and have a good listen.

Sure, if the grille comes off easily have a look at the speaker cone, but a split or tear around the edge might only show up while the speaker is moving some serious air, and a full-volume test may not be possible...

What is it BTW?

Look at the tolex, front cloth/grill, corners and feet. Are they in good nick or is there damage other than fair wear and tear? This might indicate that the cab been thrown about and not been looked after?

Check the back panel. Are the sockets in good nick? tight fit and hold the jack plug firmly. Same for speakons.

What does it sound like? Listen for rattles, buzzing and farts. It should just get louder when you turn the volume up. The sound shouldn't change.

If the front is a cloth? Can you remove it? Inspect the cone, dust cover and edges.

Is there a tweeter? Is it working?

Do the handles rattle when the cabs being played? Is there a cover? Are there any loose screws?

Edited by chris_b

If its a barefaced check the feet and handles are still there! Lol only joking :)

See how the owner looks after his/her gear as that will be a good indicator of how they will have treated the cab when in use regarding overloading it or throwing it about.

Chromatic scales holding the notes are best imo for finding that frequency that gets anything loose to rattle, dont be surprised to find a note that makes something in the sellers house rattle, my bedroom doesnt like A# :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384967847' post='2282936']
If its a barefaced check the feet and handles are still there! Lol only joking :)

See how the owner looks after his/her gear as that will be a good indicator of how they will have treated the cab when in use regarding overloading it or throwing it about.

Chromatic scales holding the notes are best imo for finding that frequency that gets anything loose to rattle, dont be surprised to find a note that makes something in the sellers house rattle, my bedroom doesnt like A# :D
[/quote]

Indeed............ I wouldn't buy a cab that wasn't looked after visually.... as if they can't do that, then how else do they treat it?
All the cabs I have brought recently have been pretty much mint, and sound it as well.

So, when I am looking to sell, I like them to be close to the condition I brought them in...