Why become a member? ×

Choose me a new amp head.

Clarky72

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1385678091' post='2291170']
Hey PauBass, where do you guys play? Locally? Wouldn't mind trying to get to see you some time.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

Our rehearsal room is on an industrial state near Small Dole and our next gig will be on a charity event in Horsham on the 8th of December.
We've now taken on board a second guitardist :) so we've stopped gigging for a bit, now mainly song writting and getting the songs tight.

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1385679255' post='2291193']
Our rehearsal room is on an industrial state near Small Dole and our next gig will be on a charity event in Horsham on the 8th of December.
We've now taken on board a second guitardist :) so we've stopped gigging for a bit, now mainly song writting and getting the songs tight.
[/quote]

Ok cool. When you are up and running again I'd like to come and see a gig - seeing as you are pretty local to me.

EDIT: What's the band called?

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1385680511' post='2291220']
Sure, I'll keep you informed...Cheers!

We are called Killing Vegas, see link on my signature below.

Are you on any band? If so, I'll try and make it to one of your gigs.
[/quote]

www.killingvegas.com doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment. :( EDIT: It's working now - must have been something my end....

We are a local covers band called Random, usual pub/club covers really - old-ish farts having a bit of a laugh with a paid hobby :)

Ooops I appear to have derailed this thread....apologies :)

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1386338056' post='2298976']
I know the yellow isn't always the most popular look. Check out the Markbass Little Mark Tube head. 500 Watts @ 4 ohms, 300 watts @ 8 ohms. It has a dark front to the head, if that matters too. [b]It Kicks![/b]
[/quote]

Agree, I`ve had one of these and it was a great amp.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1384860031' post='2281463']
As I understand it, all GB lightweight heads have a high pass filter built in, but the cutoff point was lowered in later models. The Shuttle 6.2/9.2 and Streamliners have a cutoff point of 30Hz. I can vouch for the Streamliner having a huge new end, and my newly-acquired Shuttle 9.2 should be just as deep (first test tomorrow night)
[/quote]

Is that true? What sort of low-pass filter did they do on that? Is it a gentle roll-off below 30 or steep? If the cutoff is at 30Hz, it theoretically can't play a low B note but I can vouch that I can hear one when it comes out of the speaker using my STLMax 9.2... do you have any references on it?
Is that the same for STLMax? I have a STLMax 9.2 you see. Just curious.

It was anecdotal information that I came across when researching the Genz heads. IIRC BC's Shep got that info straight from Genz.

Isn't fundamental of a low B 31Hz? Of course, the vast majority of what you hear on a low B is the harmonics which are well above that.
Proof of this is the fact that you can clearly hear your low B, but your cabs, the 411Pros, only go as low as 50Hz before rolling off very steeply.
Even the Acme Low B, famous for it's super clear B, effectively starts at 31Hz, so I wouldn't worry about having a 30Hz cutoff.

BTW, I understand that the HPF at is bypassed when the bass boost preset is engaged.

All my research was on the Shuttle, so not sure on the Shuttlemax I'm afraid.

Thanks for the info. You're right about my cabs - no fundamentals produced there! You're right about low B being 31Hz (a helpful page is at [url="http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html"]http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html[/url])

I do indeed have a Shuttlemax! I will get it on the digital oscilliscope and have a look (assuming that the DI is the same as the speaker out signal...?)

Another +1 for Carvin. I have the BX1500 and it's a versatile and loud 1500w beast (supposedly), lighter than my Genz Streamliner. and 19" rack size. Two channels, parametric as well as graphic, switchable tube, built in crossover and you can mix/match cabs galore - 8ohm-2ohm. Also the compressor is the best I've had on an amp too...not a well known amp in UK but I'm sure if more were to try they'd be pleasantly surprised :)

[url="http://www.carvinworld.com/products/BX1500"]http://www.carvinworld.com/products/BX1500[/url]

Edited by Raslee