Why become a member? ×

So much for new amp day... (Mark Bass)

citymariner

20mins into practice tonight my mark bass lm3 went pop.

Gain at 9 and output on the second dot and was more than holding it own. At first it just cut out - no clipping at 9am gain with a passive bass - and turning it off then allowed it come back. A few minutes later the same again however this time the amp would not turn on at all.

I am gutted.

The serial plate shows October 2013- it's bought from new so I know I can get a replacement but I can't believe it has popped!

Are there any known issues with the mark bass little mark stuff. I've spent the extra wonga to buy into reliability and quality.

Got to say though- it sounded absolutely ball shaking good before it cut out. Guess I'll be giving Electromusic a ring tomorrow. :(

Thanks xgsjx, that is reassuring.

I guess with anything electronic (bar adding any additions such as water/ dust etc.) that if it is going to go, it is going to quickly.

Going to give Electro a ring this morning to get it sorted.

It's such a shame, I've had a head pop before and it meant I was nervous using the fixed (and never to fail again) gear for gigs. Last thing you want when you've got a performance to deliver. I got called lookout by one band member because I had my eyes on over my shoulder a lll the time at my input gauge.

Onwards and upwards hey!

What cabs were you using it with? Have read reports that LM's are sensitive when using certain cabs at 4ohms (think it was SWRs?). If the actual impedence of the cabs is slightly under 4Ohms - apparantly some are - the heads would cut out. Either way, as its new return it for a replacement.

HTH

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1384861041' post='2281475']
What cabs were you using it with? Have read reports that LM's are sensitive when using certain cabs at 4ohms (think it was SWRs?). If the actual impedence of the cabs is slightly under 4Ohms - apparantly some are - the heads would cut out. Either way, as its new return it for a replacement.

HTH
[/quote]
It was EA Cabs if i remember correctly. Apparently 8 ohm EA Cabs are closer to 6 Ohms so 2 in Parallel and MarkBass heads do not like the 3 Ohms it sees.

Hello all,

Great come back to the forum after work to see these messages.

The cab I'm using it with is a MB Traveller 102p - so this can't be the problem!

Fuses haven't blown and I tried a couple of different power cables and still nada out of the amp.

I always plug my amp into a surge protector when at a venue - too many dirty power supplies out there due to adding on to the ring endlessly.

I am incredibly disappointed but confident that this is a mere glitch in my membership of the MB club!

Popping it back to Electromusic at the weekend. I've been using them for 15 years now and have faith in them sorting me out. They have personally offered to supply me with another amp in the time being. I've never had anything but great service from those guys.

Onwards and upwards - let's face it even if the rig doesn't work, it looks purdy.

Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated!