Why become a member? ×

1978 Fender Precision or not

AMPEG

Hi all, Right, I am now doubting the authenticity of my Fender P bass which I bought in the 90's.The neck is numbered S898513 on the front of the headstock (just under the word Fender) It says made in USA. Now the body...it has a small sticker in the pocket with the same number. In the pot bay there is a sticker with a different number 11.11.80. Also there are two strange routs.... just below the pocket is a circular rout about he size of a 2 pence peace...... Its central and about an inch and a half below where the truss rod part of the neck will rest. Also there is a rout of about 3 inches stretching from the pot bay towards the lower horn of the body. Thankfully the scratchplate cover both. It is obviously trying to appear as a 1978 Fullerton bass but I think its a Frankenbass. Anybody got any suggestions.[attachment=148744:jake pic no2.JPG]

Edited by AMPEG

[quote name='AMPEG' timestamp='1384808966' post='2281048']
Hi all, Right, I am now doubting the authenticity of my Fender P bass which I bought in the 90's.The neck is numbered S898018 on the front of the headstock (just under the word Fender) It says made in USA. Now the body...it has a small sticker in the pocket with the same number. In the pot bay there is a sticker with a different number 11.11.80. Also there are two strange routs.... just below the pocket is a circular rout about he size of a 2 pence peace...... Its central and about an inch and a half below where the truss rod part of the neck will rest. Also there is a rout of about 3 inches stretching from the pot bay towards the lower horn of the body. Thankfully the scratchplate cover both. It is obviously trying to appear as a 1978 Fullerton bass but I think its a Frankenbass. Anybody got any suggestions.
[/quote]
That sounds like it's got everything I'd expect a late 70's P Bass to have. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1384810624' post='2281078']
Serial number is correct for 1977-1978.
[/quote]
Bit of a weird period for serial numbers in the late 70's - S8 numbers were still showing up on instruments in 1982.

Incidentally, this has just prompted me to add a picture to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/128339-70s-fender-precision-timeline"]timeline[/url] I did a while back. I'll get round to adding more at some point. :rolleyes:

[quote name='AMPEG' timestamp='1384866001' post='2281549']
The pots are deffo Jap...but someone told be the circular rout is only done on MIJ, CIJ AND MIM and not on USA models
[/quote]
No, they were definately routed like that in the late 70's. There's a recent thread covering this topic about here somewhere.

Edited by Musky

Is the 11.18.80 on the neck pocket sticker a date per chance? 18th November 1980 ?? Possible as S serials ran a fair way into the 80s didn't they and S89* is quite a late S serial

So I suspect it is 80/81 build to 78 spec....

Is there a date written on the heel of the neck?

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='AMPEG' timestamp='1384890446' post='2281986']
Hi Twigman...see your point but S prefix indicates 70's...that said the modular nature of Fender production may have resulted in a 78 manufactured neck being assembled and sold in 1980? But the 80's date would relate to the electrics only?
[/quote]
That's exactly what happened with Fender serial numbers and S8 serials turn up on instruments as late as 1982, so serial numbers alone are a poor way of dating a Fender. Their use of serial numbers wasn't exactly sequential either, which is why Fender specify '78 or '79 for their S8 numbers.

The routing, serial, colour, and inspection sticker on the neck are all consistent with a bass made around 1980. Has the neck got a number stamped on the heel? That should tie in with this sort of period.