Why become a member? ×

An itch that will just not go away.

Owen

I fancy a fretted EUB. I am fully aware of all the things it will not do. I have a DB and an EUB for those things. I like the way my hands fall on a curved fingerboard. I like the facility I have on a curved fingerboard. It is comfy for me and my right hand moves in a different way from the way it does on a plank. That is all I care about. I fancy the idea of a full scale 6 string with a bottom F sharp, just because the scale length would probably work for the low stuff. I would buy a 2nd hand Stagg and get someone to fret it just to see how the concept worked. It might suck very badly - but the NS fretted bass seems to be ok - as it it should be for that kind of coin.

I can already forsee problems in that intonation adjustment could be a real issue. I guess I could get individual bridge units and put wooden saddles in them. These would have to be seated on a curved thing (technical term) which would then drive the pickup. A straight across bridge seems to work for the NS fretted bass http://alembic.com/club/messages/395/123601.html?1329369220 but I just cannot imagine how.

Strings would be tricky, because I am thinking roundwounds but I'm sure Newtone could knock me something up.

The whole idea might just be awful, but this has been bubbling away for at least 2 years (http://basschat.co.uk/topic/156576-fretted-eub/) and does not seem to want to go away.

Can you point out other problems to me?

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1384647686' post='2279222']
I guess it could take some ideas from a Sitar? Good luck with it !!
[/quote]

Thanks, good thinking!

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1384651013' post='2279237']
It's an interesting concept. I know Steve Berry had a fretted EUB, which I think has had them taken out.....He said it sounded like a P Bass on steroids!
[/quote]

A P bass on steroids with a bottom F sharp. What's not to love? I did a series of gigs through some HEFTY PA systems some time ago and played my NS5 almost exclusively. The heft that the extra scale length gave was beefy and addictive. I love using the bottom B, I would LOVE to have a functioning bottom F sharp. I like the whole curved fingerboard feel. I like how I play on a curved fingerboard. I find it very comfortable. I am not looking for a DB with frets, I am thinking about a super long scale bass guitar with a curved fingerboard. The EUB has that form factor.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1384677488' post='2279284']
I didn't know they made them. Seems pointless to me :mellow:
[/quote]

That's ok, I will not be lending it out :)

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1384711859' post='2279811']
Check out Chris Larkin's Superblen fretted 6 string EUB.
[/quote]

I have been in discussion with Chris but he is not making them anymore.

It is an unknown quantity for me so I don't really want to be dropping serious coin on one without actually trying something similar, but if I found the concept was a go-er I would be happy to flog 2 or 3 basses and commission something.

Chris Larkin is up for it on the fretting front. The Stagg is an option but not all of them have solid fingerboards. Harley Benton ones do have solid fingerboards. Newtone strings will do me a set of 50" long roundwounds so all I need to do now is flog some stuff and get on it. Expect progress by 2015!