Why become a member? ×

Who else likes Ashborys?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I've got a blue Ashbory on the way to keep my black one company. I've not gigged with an Ashbory yet before, but I've been playing it all week & might use it at one or both of this weekend's gigs for a few songs.

Who else is an Ashbory user?
Do you use talc, slyde rite or something else?
Any Ashbory tips etc?

I just found this pic of a 'normal' bass with an Ashbory double neck add-on mod...

i thought it was pretty funny - just going to post it in the "weird and wonderful..." thread...

EDIT: On closer inspection this looks like a very crude photoshop pic...oh well, good concept anyway.

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='226448' date='Jun 25 2008, 09:02 AM']One thing I've found to be a pain is tuning 'em up...I can't ever get it accurately in tune EVER! any tips on this would be appreciated![/quote]
I can't tune the ashbory using a "normal" tuner, but its super-easy with a Planet Waves SOS Bass tuner - It ihas two leds that you shine on the string at the 12th "fret" and they wobble to show how out of tune it is. If you're turning the wrong way the lights wobble faster and slow down as you get closer to the correct pitch until they stop wobbling completely. As I mentioned in another thread about tuners - its the only tuner I use. I keep meaning to get another one as they're cheap and I always worry that I'm going to lose mine.
Also I find the intonation is difficult to get right until I use a VERY light touch with my right hand. I guess pressing down hard is enough to stretch the string.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='226587' date='Jun 25 2008, 11:45 AM']I can't tune the ashbory using a "normal" tuner, but its super-easy with a Planet Waves SOS Bass tuner - It ihas two leds that you shine on the string at the 12th "fret" and they wobble to show how out of tune it is. If you're turning the wrong way the lights wobble faster and slow down as you get closer to the correct pitch until they stop wobbling completely. As I mentioned in another thread about tuners - its the only tuner I use. I keep meaning to get another one as they're cheap and I always worry that I'm going to lose mine.
Also I find the intonation is difficult to get right until I use a VERY light touch with my right hand. I guess pressing down hard is enough to stretch the string.[/quote]

I have to admit, I've not tried tuning it since I got my strobostomp, that might be easier! Those planet waves things look the business, so they actually work then?

I love the sound from the ashbory, I've not tried talc on it yet, I just kinda pop away slightly outta tune! gotta love the wierdness of 'em!

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='226442' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:56 AM']I just found this pic of a 'normal' bass with an Ashbory double neck add-on mod...

i thought it was pretty funny - just going to post it in the "weird and wonderful..." thread...

EDIT: On closer inspection this looks like a very crude photoshop pic...oh well, good concept anyway.[/quote]

That would be pretty cool if it was real...

hmm....

My biggest problem with mine is getting the knot tied right and in the right place.

Get it wrong, and as you turn the tuner the knots on the E-string and the A-string collide, usually knocking one of them out of the tuner.

Or am I stringing it wrong?

My blue one arrived yesterday and due to being packed really badly with no bubblewrap etc, the tuner for the "E" is bent at about a 30° angle, so doesn't turn at all. :)

I've bodged it with a bit from an old acoustic guitar tuner from my bits box, so it works but looks pretty stupid at the moment with one square white/silver tuner. Hopefully It won't cost too much to get a new tuner - the seller seems willing to sort out the cost.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='227193' date='Jun 26 2008, 11:13 AM']My blue one arrived yesterday and due to being packed really badly with no bubblewrap etc, the tuner for the "E" is bent at about a 30° angle, so doesn't turn at all. :)

I've bodged it with a bit from an old acoustic guitar tuner from my bits box, so it works but looks pretty stupid at the moment with one square white/silver tuner. Hopefully It won't cost too much to get a new tuner - the seller seems willing to sort out the cost.[/quote]

Jean! That sucks mate!

I feel your pain...hope it all gets sorted out!