Why become a member? ×

Orange turns out to be a lemon no more

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1384800099' post='2280902']

Best of luck with that, given past experience.
[/quote]

Oh dear. Plan B is to A/B mine with a guy in a local band

Reply from Orange

Hello, 
Congratulations on your purchase.Taking into account the output of your Bass and the settings you are using I would expect very little or no distortion.I hope your Terror Bass gives many years of service and pleasure. 
Best regards

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1385059874' post='2284048']
I don't understand this at all.

Just to be on the safe side, have you tried A/B-ing your OTB500 against another?

There must be loads of them in the Midlands.
[/quote]

+1 to this. If I had one I'd post the thing to you so you could compare :)

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1385073133' post='2284292']
When I had one, my passive P Bass into the TB500 would definitely break up soon past nine. As Lozz said, by 2 you're into serious Lemmy territory.

Would it be worth asking them to switch it for another?
[/quote]

+1

If its new, ask for another. Especially if you've only just got it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1385059874' post='2284048']
I don't understand this at all.

Just to be on the safe side, have you tried A/B-ing your OTB500 against another?

There must be loads of them in the Midlands.
[/quote]

Gary (grunge666) has offered to A/B mine with his on Saturday night. I'll report back with the results

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1385121819' post='2284650']
Gary (grunge666) has offered to A/B mine with his on Saturday night. I'll report back with the results
[/quote]

That's good news. Obviously I don't need to tell you this, but check if its an earlier one and whether it's had a pre valve swap for lower gain ones, or if it's a later one with hopefully the same valves as yours, for a clearer level playing field comparison.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1385122000' post='2284654']
That's good news. Obviously I don't need to tell you this, but check if its an earlier one and whether it's had a pre valve swap for lower gain ones, or if it's a later one with hopefully the same valves as yours, for a clearer level playing field comparison.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

Gary did tell me that he's swapped the valves in his for military grade 12AY7's because the 12AX7's were just too harsh. He says he gigs with an old P bass with the gain and master at 9 o clock and it's loud enough through his Barefaced S12 to hold it's own in a 5 piece band. I realise the cab does alter the results but my Schroeder is rated at 103dB/1w/1m so it's pretty efficient. If I have my gain and master at 9 o clock, we're talking living room levels :(

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1385125872' post='2284729']
Gary did tell me that he's swapped the valves in his for military grade 12AY7's because the 12AX7's were just too harsh. He says he gigs with an old P bass with the gain and master at 9 o clock and it's loud enough through his Barefaced S12 to hold it's own in a 5 piece band. I realise the cab does alter the results but my Schroeder is rated at 103dB/1w/1m so it's pretty efficient. If I have my gain and master at 9 o clock, we're talking living room levels :(
[/quote]

Ok, well for info with my TB500 through a BF Compact, 9 oclock on gain and master at home would have been divorce level.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1385126675' post='2284744']

Ok, well for info with my TB500 through a BF Compact, 9 oclock on gain and master at home would have been divorce level.
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1385125872' post='2284729']
[/quote]

That def doesn`t sound right. Having had similar powered amps into a Schro 21012 the walls would be shaking at those levels. I`d return this specific amp and ask for a replacement.

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1385141829' post='2284988']
Hi Mark,

I still haven't had the luxury of cranking the gain on mine...I'll make an effort to try it out this weekend and give you some feedback.
[/quote]

Thanks

I've played my TB500 for about 4 years now, always through passive precision basses, and I don't get the whole 'breaks up after 9 o'clock' thing on mine. It's probably 5 years old, and has the hot DI issue.

Mine is fairly clean until about 12 o'clock, when it starts grinding. 3pm sounds nice and raspy, any more than that and it's farting!

That's how it behaves with the standard, cheap chinese ECC83's that came with it, although I have done some fiddling with it...

I've tried Tung Sol 83's, which were very dark sounding, and I now have some Phillips ECC81's in there, which have given it a warmer tone.

The downside to the 83's in my experience, is it can sound a bit boomy, but even with them I can play at around 10-11 o'clock gain without it breaking up like others have described.

I do have a light touch though, and play with fingers.

Edited by cameltoe