Why become a member? ×

Trace heads with light weight cabs?

Deedee

Hi all

I'm currently changing my gear.

A few years back i had a Trace rig and i still miss that grunt. Basically, I love the Trace sound but my back really didn't like the Trace weight.

This posed a question. Have any of you guys compromised by using an old Trace head with 'new' light weight cabs (Mark Bass etc, etc) or is this a complete non-starter??????

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Hi

There's nothing wrong with your approach at all, this is basically what I have done. I went from heavy Ashdown cabs to lightweight Barefaced cabs, but still using heavy-ish Ashdown ABM and now Trace Elliot heads. I'm currently using a 1989 TE AH200, and a '94 GP7SM250 head with my Super 12, and before that a Compact. I still have the latter cab, but it's not getting any airplay at the moment due to the recent arrival of the S12.

I get the great TE tone in much greater clarity and louder than I ever have before. These cabs really do allow every nuance of dynamic and tonal variation to shine through.

My Little Bastard 30 also sounds great through my BF Compact or Super 12.

I've tried and owned a few of the lighter class D heads but always end up coming back to the 'heavyweights' because of the tone. I don't find the TE heads at all difficult to carry due to their size. A big heavy cab is a completely different thing, and my Compact weighs in at 12Kg, the Super 12 is 18kg and just 5 inches taller, so both are dead easy to move about.

As ever with these things, if you can get the opportunity to try your Trace head with a few lightweight cabs before you buy, then you will be able to make the right decision. I'd definitely recommend it though, based on my experience.

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

It makes much more sense doing it this way than the other way - using a lightweight head and a big, heavy, old-school cab!

As RandonBass said, many of the modern Neo cabs have high quality drivers that really reveal the sound of your gear - whether it be your bass, effects or amp. So if you like the Trace sound, what better way to hear it!

To be honest, even the heaviest amps tend to be a one-handed carry. especially if they have great handles like the Trace amps.

It's the cabs that do you in... :(

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1384167580' post='2273365']

To be honest, even the heaviest amps tend to be a one-handed carry. especially if they have great handles like the Trace amps.

It's the cabs that do you in... :(
[/quote]

Exactly this really. Lightweight, easily moved cabs that have fabulous tone and loudness have been a godsend for me.

Thanks for the info.

It's the actual size of the cabs that's critical for me due to a change of car (they've got to fit in a large saloon boot). That's why I'm thinking that a separate Trace head would be ideal.

Excuse my ignorance but what do I need to consider when looking at the cabs capacity, ohms etc ? For example, there's a 300w GP7 head available on here at the moment that looks rather nice ;-).

Cheers

If its a size thing, more than a weight thing, you have plenty of good options to check out. My recommendation will obviously be Barefaced - but the best comes at a price, and a waiting time. However, there are some S12s and Compacts for sale on here at the moment.

Ohms-wise, if you want a single cab solution, then go for a 4 Ohm: this will draw the max power from the head. Having said that, I've been happily using a single 8 Ohm Compact for over two years now: it is a very sensitive cab so every watt of energy that is fed into it, comes out with more decibels (loudness). Most amps are rated with a minimum requirement of 4 Ohms loading (a few do 2 Ohms). So, you could use an 8 or 4 Ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs (which combine to present a 4 Ohm load to the amp).

The AH300-7 you mention is indeed nice, and Trace amps are known to be very loud for their ratings. No idea what sort of venues you play, but my 250w TE head fills large rooms easily and I shall be using it this coming Friday to fill a large open pub, in a rock/pop covers band. Their min loading requirement is 4 Ohms, so go with my comments above. That head will be very loud into a decent cab, either 4 or 8 Ohm.

There's so much to tell, and I don't want to overload you with information!

Geoff

I have a TE 300SMX and bought an Eden Nemesis 4x10 cab for £175 on ebay. Awesome cab, lightweight(not neo) and has been dependable. If you can pick one up cheap they're great-very punchy sound with the TE on preset 2 that really cuts through in the mix.

Edited by yanto

[quote name='yanto' timestamp='1384197547' post='2273904']
I have a TE 300SMX and bought an Eden Nemesis 4x10 cab for £175 on ebay. Awesome cab, lightweight(not neo) and has been dependable. If you can pick one up cheap they're great-very punchy sound with the TE on preset 2 that really cuts through in the mix.
[/quote]
Preshape 2 - my fave.

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1384197264' post='2273898']
Up to a grand at a push (I could do without eating for a while anyway) 😉
[/quote]
Well that will get you a good Trace head and a quality lightweight cab. 300 for a head, 500 for a cab and you have change for cables and a wireless :-)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1384199169' post='2273950']

Well that will get you a good Trace head and a quality lightweight cab. 300 for a head, 500 for a cab and you have change for cables and a wireless :-)
[/quote]

Yeah, it's just waiting for the right cab/s to come up. The sizes I'm looking for probably restrict me to 1 x 12 or 2 x 10 cabs, hence I'd probably want a pair

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1384207198' post='2274106']
Update!

I'm having the AH300-7 that's on the forum. Now then, about these cabs.........................
[/quote]

Good move, that's a good head. So how much does that leave you for cab(s)? £700 or so?

Do you need two cabs? What size venues do you play? Do you have a preference to speaker sizes?
To be honest, a decent 212 will do pretty much anything you need for pubs, clubs - even larger places to be honest. If you go for an 8 Ohm unit, it will still be flipping loud - and if you feel the need for more, then another will fit the bill.

If a 212 is physically too large, then perhaps a pair of 210s, with the drivers stacked vertically of course, will do the trick.

A lot of people seem to go for a pair of 1x12's around here - modular, highly portable and loud and good tone if they are quality ones.

My personal recommendation would be a Barefaced cab - there are a few secondhand ones on here in your budget, and they weigh very little but tonally and volume wise they really deliver in my opinion. I've been using a 12kg BF Compact with my Trace heads in pubs, clubs etc with no problems at all. Never needed any PA help.

I hope someone else comes along to enlighten you on wider cab options, as I feel I'm beginning to sound like a Barefaced sales guy. lol.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1384209421' post='2274140']

Good move, that's a good head. So how much does that leave you for cab(s)? £700 or so?

Do you need two cabs? What size venues do you play? Do you have a preference to speaker sizes?
To be honest, a decent 212 will do pretty much anything you need for pubs, clubs - even larger places to be honest. If you go for an 8 Ohm unit, it will still be flipping loud - and if you feel the need for more, then another will fit the bill.

If a 212 is physically too large, then perhaps a pair of 210s, with the drivers stacked vertically of course, will do the trick.

A lot of people seem to go for a pair of 1x12's around here - modular, highly portable and loud and good tone if they are quality ones.

My personal recommendation would be a Barefaced cab - there are a few secondhand ones on here in your budget, and they weigh very little but tonally and volume wise they really deliver in my opinion. I've been using a 12kg BF Compact with my Trace heads in pubs, clubs etc with no problems at all. Never needed any PA help.

I hope someone else comes along to enlighten you on wider cab options, as I feel I'm beginning to sound like a Barefaced sales guy. lol.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

Hi Geoff

Thanks again for the info.

Size wise I'm probably looking at 1 x 12" cabs I think. Venue wise, we aren't doing a great deal at the moment but I'm probably after enough to cover pubs and small clubs with umph to spare.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1384273288' post='2274708']
What car do you have, if the boot is a limiting factor? 2x 1x12 cabs may not be easier than 1x 2x12 cab... e.g. the Barefaced S12 fits easily in the boot of a Ford Fiesta so would be fine in the boot of a large saloon :)
[/quote]

You're perhaps right. I'm getting a 5 series BMW and although the boot is large, the actual opening isn't as wide as you'd expect. I think the key is the depth of the cab. Years ago I could slide my old TE 2x10 combo into a saloon boot no problem. Now the cabs seem to be far deeper, although the Barefaced cabs don't seem to be as deep.

I mocked up a box the other day at 500 w x 410 h x 410 d and that did fit (I went to the local Beemer dealer to try it) but there wasn't a massive amount of wriggle room getting it through the opening.

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1384275576' post='2274732']I think the key is the depth of the cab. Years ago I could slide my old TE 2x10 combo into a saloon boot no problem. Now the cabs seem to be far deeper, although the Barefaced cabs don't seem to be as deep.[/quote]

I don't quite get why so many modern cabs are deep but short and wide - I suppose it makes them look smaller in photos which is persuasive from a downsizing marketing thing! However it makes them less impressive looking and harder to hear on stage and harder to fit through doors and into cars. Weird... One (30cm deep!) Super Compact could handle pubs and small clubs easily unless your band is very loud or amp rather weedy.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1384276705' post='2274752']
One (30cm deep!) Super Compact could handle pubs and small clubs easily unless your band is very loud or amp rather weedy.
[/quote]

Yeah I was just looking on their site. 300mm deep would certainly not be an issue. Has anybody got one going spare?????????? 😕