Why become a member? ×

Practice time: Convergent or Divergent?

JapanAxe

I can't remember where I got this from but it's not my original idea:

When you practise, are you doing so in Convergent mode or in Divergent mode? Let me explain.

[u]Convergent activity[/u]

This is focused on achieving a particular goal. You might follow a single path, e.g. practising a piece until you can play it comfortably at a certain tempo; or multiple paths, e.g. the main sections of a song, key riffs, the vocals, presentation. You may or may not have a fixed time frame, depending on whether you are preparing for a specific event, or just doing it for your own satisfaction.

[u]Divergent activity[/u]

There is no particular goal in mind, and rarely any fixed time frame. You explore whatever takes your interest or brings you pleasure, dipping in and out of things as they take your fancy. You might play along to a track just for fun, or try out alternative tunings or effects. In a group setting, a jam would be an example of this.

These modes are obviously good for different things. I tend to spend most of my time in Convergent mode, making sure I am fully prepared for my next gig or rehearsal. I always have in mind some Divergent activity that I can pick up for fun when I have the time, yet I rarely do, despite having more free time than most people I know.

Have you ever thought about your own practice time in this way? What is your experience?

Edited by JapanAxe

I've always realised there was a difference between practices but didn't know what it was called. I spent a good number of years just ticking over & staying in my comfort zone, divergent I guess. Since taking up lessons I don't waste too much time hammering it in so to speak. I now tend to approach practice with a goal in mind everytime.

• 2 weeks later...

For me:

Convergent = practicing
Divergent = playing

Practice time is therefore convergent. To my mind, practice time absolutely needs to be focused on specific goals. 'Divergent' sounds like noodling/exploring. Fun, but not practicing.

I have 2 types of sessions. I guess you could call them "practice" and/or "lesson" sessions.

What I'll call a "practice session" is when I sit and noodle. I play scales, arpeggios and familiar pieces. This, I tell myself, builds up dexterity, speed and rhythm; as I get to play the piece better and get to make the rhythm more regular and a better fit to my "minds ear". (I should use the drum loops and metronome more here than i do). I'd call this divergent.

The other sessions I do are what I'd call a "lesson session". This is where I play a written score, reading and finding the notes on the FB. This could also be a session where I read a score and try to build up my speed at reading, When reading a score without playing I also think through the positions of notes and the logical place to find the next note on the FB. I'd call this Convergent.

Thanks for raising this JapanAxe. It's helpful to take the time to think it through. Sometimes I do wonder if I loose direction and purpose as I'm mostly self-taught.

I think we're all used to Convergent practice - 'today I will learn to play this from memory' for example.

Divergent [i]absolutely[/i] includes noodling and exploring. Some people have a down on Divergent activity, because it does not take you measurably closer to whatever your goal might be. However, it can take you to new places, broaden your outlook, and help you discover new sounds and techniques. It's all good!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1384981838' post='2283187']
I think we're all used to Convergent practice - 'today I will learn to play this from memory' for example.

Divergent [i]absolutely[/i] includes noodling and exploring. Some people have a down on Divergent activity, because it does not take you measurably closer to whatever your goal might be. However, it can take you to new places, broaden your outlook, and help you discover new sounds and techniques. It's all good!
[/quote]
Maybe this looking-down on Divergent practice comes from the thinking of the music teachers of playing classical instruments/music, where it may be thought that the only pieces worth playing are those in print.

By definition isn't playing bass a lot about noodling to develop a skill of being able to hear the band playing something and filling in with what seems a good harmonious bass line?

Or is this just me being a noob?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1384982312' post='2283197']
Maybe this looking-down on Divergent practice comes from the thinking of the music teachers of playing classical instruments/music, where it may be thought that the only pieces worth playing are those in print.

By definition isn't playing bass a lot about noodling to develop a skill of being able to hear the band playing something and filling in with what seems a good harmonious bass line?

Or is this just me being a noob?
[/quote]
Yup. I mean you're right, can't comment on the noob thing.

I think the point of 'practice' as such is to cover new material, which, by definition, is not known to you well. I don't think it matters what sort of music you play, learning the facts of music (arpeggios, scales, approach notes, tensions) is going to help you.

Fun stuff is fun, and time needs to be made for it. But I'm not sure I would call it formal practice. Though practice time need not be dreary either...but it does need specific goals and an overall idea of where you are going. I generally find I can trust a teacher to do this better than teaching myself. I've tried both ways...

According to this I spend 3/4 of the time in Divergent mode where I spend hours just noodling, soloing, coming up with grooves but with no fixed goal in mind.

The last 1/4 is where I have a focus in mind and work towards that. Like sight reading, ear training, learning songs for sets etc.

But recently I have been learning how to double thumb and learning how to use some more percussive left hand stuff but I do this along with the noodling etc. but I don't any fixed goal, just get better at it, so what does that count as?

I really enjoy divergent study!

Often when I'm struggling to solo over a set of changes, I'll play them into a loop pedal and then just try and solo/think my way through them. I'll also try to sing a nice little melody or two, and play them back. It's all about building my mind's ear, and strengthening the relationship between it and my instrumental technique.

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1385049702' post='2283863']
I really enjoy divergent study!

Often when I'm struggling to solo over a set of changes, I'll play them into a loop pedal and then just try and solo/think my way through them. I'll also try to sing a nice little melody or two, and play them back. It's all about building my mind's ear, and strengthening the relationship between it and my instrumental technique.
[/quote]

Is that Divergent or Convergent?

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1385049792' post='2283866']
[/quote]
In some respects, surely the question of if this matters or not will depend on what stage of learning you're at won't it?
I'm still learning the FB, Modes and scales. So I need lots of Convergent study.

If you're way past the Modes and Scales stage and onto learning solos and constructing bass lines, maybe the Divergent/Convergent lines get less defined?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1385057859' post='2284008']
In some respects, surely the question of if this matters or not will depend on what stage of learning you're at won't it?
I'm still learning the FB, Modes and scales. So I need lots of Convergent study.

If you're way past the Modes and Scales stage and onto learning solos and constructing bass lines, maybe the Divergent/Convergent lines get less defined?
[/quote]

This is very true, I hadn't thought of it like that

Actually, I just had a really good practice with a main focus in mind. I was learning stuff from the Latin Bass Book and working to get one section done. I feel so much chuffed now, more so than the random playing that I've been doing recently.

I must enjoy learning :D

I think I am 50/50 on this as I do set myself a goal to learn a song and if there is a bit in the song I just cant get I noodle and mess about for 5 or 10 mins as if I kept trying to play the bit I was struggling with I get angry with myself so I have learnt to leave it mess about noodling and then go back to what I was trying to learn. Some days when I really don't feel like playing I force myself to go and play the 12 bar blues a few times just to keep my knackered hands in check lol

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1385049792' post='2283866']
[/quote]

Dunno mate! It's kind of semantics really.

I see it as qualitatively different to my usual practicing of scales/arpeggios/licks etc. It's more that I just throw in a chord progression on the looper and then play over it and zen out a bit. I'm not setting a particular goal when I do this - not that there isn't a goal of being a better player and improving my musicianship, but more that this goal isn't approached in as ordered and focused manner as would be when pinpointing specific things about my playing and practicing those.

It usually throws up a few things I can practice in a convergent manner, but I don't see it as convergent in of itself. As an aside, I actually think it's an essential part of any practice routine.

I separate performing and practicing in my mind which seems to translate directly to your convergent and divergent. Practice, so I read in "Talent Is Overrated: What Really Seperates World Class Performers From Everybody Else", should be an effort , you should be working hard and being aware of everything you're doing and adjusting. It should be exhausting!
Performing on the other hand should be completely unconscious, it should be easy. Studies on improvising musicians found that when improvising there was hardly any activity in their frontal cortex - where conscious thought occurs. Equally you could practice that skill as well at home by jamming to a tune or a loop or playing any old bollocks while watching TV.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1385978109' post='2294160']
I separate performing and practicing in my mind which seems to translate directly to your convergent and divergent. Practice, so I read in "Talent Is Overrated: What Really Seperates World Class Performers From Everybody Else", should be an effort , you should be working hard and being aware of everything you're doing and adjusting. It should be exhausting!
Performing on the other hand should be completely unconscious, it should be easy. Studies on improvising musicians found that when improvising there was hardly any activity in their frontal cortex - where conscious thought occurs. Equally you could practice that skill as well at home by jamming to a tune or a loop or playing any old bollocks while watching TV.
[/quote]

+1.