Why become a member? ×

Nine Inch Nails/Pino Palladino

NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1384032992' post='2272210']
Can we just lose the 'this is the first time I've ever heard them' and how it's 'dull and boring' stuff please! This video is hardly blummin' representative of their body of work!!
P
[/quote]
But this was the first time i've ever heard them and it was dull and boring.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1384032992' post='2272210']
Can we just lose the 'this is the first time I've ever heard them' and how it's 'dull and boring' stuff please! This video is hardly blummin' representative of their body of work!!
P
[/quote]

Why should we do that, that wouldn't be a true opinion. It is the first time I've heard NIN so I am basing my opinion on this song which was dull and boring. The first song I heard from Pearl Jam (Jeremy) was bloody amazing and they are one of my favourite bands but a lot of the later stuff is dull and boring. I'm not going to change my opinion just to suit someone else.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1383956553' post='2271399']
Wow, that was awful, although to be fair I've never liked NIN, they're one of those bands that on paper I should love, but their songs just don't do anything for me, combine that with Trent Reznor's recent slide into public asshattery and they're a band I just don't get.
[/quote]

Same here, I've tried, went to see them as well but despite my efforts they leave me cold.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1383957742' post='2271409']
Recent? He has always been like that, nothing has changed just more people are listening now
[/quote]

Hence deliberate use of the qualifier [i]public[/i].

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1384051098' post='2272338']
Same here, I've tried, went to see them as well but despite my efforts they leave me cold.
[/quote]

I tried so hard to like The Downward Spiral but I just don't get it, all the constituents I love are there but they just don't work together, it's like someone's made a pizza with all my favourite toppings, but when they pull it out of the oven it's just an old leathery shoe with a tomato on it.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1384054601' post='2272340']
Hence deliberate use of the qualifier [i]public[/i].
[/quote]

My mistake, I thought public meant 'had said something in public' rather than 'had said something in public [i]that I heard[/i]' ;)

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1384054601' post='2272340']
I tried so hard to like The Downward Spiral but I just don't get it, all the constituents I love are there but they just don't work together
[/quote]

Well, downward spiral is about the least accessible album (or at least after further down the spiral) so I am not surprised when people don't like it. I find they work very well together for me, making it one of my favourite albums but also one of the bleakest.

First time that I have heard a NIN groove that I quite liked. I think the song however is just unfinished. Seems like they run out of ideas for a complete song. I can see other artists taking the groove in an interesting direction. It is a long time since I played in a band but I do remember a 'that's enough...it's finished' attitude. If I were them I would re visit the song and develop it. Of course, for those of you who failed to notice, I am not them, just a fat old critical git sitting at a PC.