Why become a member? ×

Ashdown LB30 Drophead 15H - anyone tried one out?

franzbassist

Hi there

I still have an all-valve itch I need to scratch, and was wondering if anyone has any experience of this combo?

I had an LB30 head, which was great and more than loud enough for my gigging needs, but I have no experience of the combo. I'm not a huge fan of 15" drivers or rear ported cabs, but never say never....

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1383747855' post='2268492']
What's a decent compact cab to go with the LB30 to make it sound justice? I'm using a TC BC212 at the moment.
[/quote]

I've not heard the LB30 through a BC212, but I have been using it with my BF Compact for the best part of two years now to good effect.
The sensitive cab makes the most of every watt that the LB is able to provide, and you can go from olde worlde Mowtown to middy rock in the flick of the Bass Shift switch. The tonal variations of the head are nicely reproduced by the Compact.

If you get a chance to try this pairing, I'd recommend it.

Cheers

Geoff

Yeah i heard many good things about the Bareforce Compact. It looks good because of the size, weight and speaker size. I need to save up for one lol.

The BC212 is ok, nice volume but tone wise is just ok. I will certainly use it for gig etc. The most important for the BC212 is light for a 2x12 cab.

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1383823552' post='2269526']
I got my LB30 in a deal with a VS15 - sounds amazing. If the drop down is anything like this I doubt you'll be disappointed. Probably the best tone I've ever made.
[/quote]

Thats the cab i was using when i test the LB30 in the store and i bought the LB30 straight away. When I use the BC212, it wasn't bad but just different.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1383831864' post='2269705']
Had considered one myself before buying my lb head from obbm and your lb cab Gareth. It basically boiled down to this: Amp looks the nutts, pricetag just looks nutts...
[/quote]

Lol the price tag is too low if anything! Each one is hand built to order in Essex, custom covering and lots of custom parts etc etc... Have you seen the price of the Ampeg heritage B-15.... Now that's nuts ;-)

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1384116613' post='2272994']

Lol the price tag is too low if anything! Each one is hand built to order in Essex, custom covering and lots of parts etc... Have you seen the price of the Ampeg heritage B-15.... Now that's nuts ;-)
[/quote]

Sorry, I should have qualified that by saying 'compared to what I could get a used LB rig for at the time'. Would love a drophead 30 for the house! Any plans for a drophead 15 with 12" speaker? That'd be AWESOME! Agreed the Ampeg B-15 price is certainly nutts, especially considering you're not even getting the original circuit design...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1384375460' post='2275988']

Any plans for a drophead 15 with 12" speaker?
[/quote]

...and as if by magic Ashdown are showing off a drophead 15 on their Facebook page today. 10" speaker though. Think I'll have myself one of those if the price isn't barmy...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1384375460' post='2275988']
Sorry, I should have qualified that by saying 'compared to what I could get a used LB rig for at the time'. Would love a drophead 30 for the house! Any plans for a drophead 15 with 12" speaker? That'd be AWESOME! Agreed the Ampeg B-15 price is certainly nutts, especially considering you're not even getting the original circuit design...
[/quote]

I believe the 15 is the speaker size not the amps wattage. So one with a 12" would be a Drophead 12. And a Drophead 30 would be H-U-G-E.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1387543488' post='2313144']
...and as if by magic Ashdown are showing off a drophead 15 on their Facebook page today. 10" speaker though. Think I'll have myself one of those if the price isn't barmy...
[/quote]

Tasty isn't it? Want want want.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1387543661' post='2313150']

I believe the 15 is the speaker size not the amps wattage. So one with a 12" would be a Drophead 12. And a Drophead 30 would be H-U-G-E.
[/quote]

Nope, wattage..

And yes it's very tasty!

Edited by Bigwan

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1384116613' post='2272994']

Lol the price tag is too low if anything! Each one is hand built to order in Essex, custom covering and lots of custom parts etc etc... Have you seen the price of the Ampeg heritage B-15.... Now that's nuts ;-)
[/quote]

A drophead 2x12 is where its at. I would buy one in an instant!
My LB212 is my favorite cab, that I have ever owned, and I have had lots of different stuff. It has cellar deep lows, very quick, punchy and tight, mids and highs are also good. Everything keeps up too I have put 250 watts into it and everything keeps up, it doesnt fart out or get middy, and for it rating its very loud. It what I use most of the time. The 12s they use are a great balance fast and have a great lows, mid and high, response. trouble is I cant buy another one ......