Why become a member? ×

Rush - Counterparts

wateroftyne

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1383841407' post='2269874']
Opinion duly reassessed. I might continue the experiment tomorrow and give Test For Echo a shot.
[/quote]

Have you tried the new remixed Vapor Trails? I used to really struggle with that album, and now it is one of my favourites! Some really great melodies on there, and now you can actually[i][b] hear [/b][/i]them thanks to the new mix! B)

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1383732037' post='2268179']
I know people who are massive prog rock fans who say Rush "isn't prog". Funny old world isn't it.

[/quote]

I wouldn't call them prog and I'm a huge prog fan. Although all such subdivisions (sorry) are really rather meaningless.

When I first discovered Rush (Hemispheres tour on the Friday Rock Show?) I loved them. After Moving Pictures I just lost interest and I now find anything after that pretty much unlistenable. Like Dream Theater. ;)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1383918704' post='2270794']
I wouldn't call them prog and I'm a huge prog fan. Although all such subdivisions (sorry) are really rather meaningless.

When I first discovered Rush (Hemispheres tour on the Friday Rock Show?) I loved them. After Moving Pictures I just lost interest and I now find anything after that pretty much unlistenable. Like Dream Theater. ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='4000' timestamp='1383918704' post='2270794']

[/quote]

That's when I first heard Rush! It was a recording broadcast on the Rock Show in the autumn of 1979 of them playing at the Pink Pop Festival in Holland that summer . There is actually film of that performance from Dutch TV on Youtube.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1383918229' post='2270780']
...in fact, I'm skipping tracks now. Some of it is cack.
[/quote]

Good god, I see what you mean. The first couple of tracks were ok but the rest all seem to sound the same...and they all sound like Rush imitating generic '90s rock. I don't think I'll bother finishing this one...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1383918244' post='2270781']
Have you tried the new remixed Vapor Trails? I used to really struggle with that album, and now it is one of my favourites! Some really great melodies on there, and now you can actually[i][b] hear [/b][/i]them thanks to the new mix! B)
[/quote]

I think it is time. Opinions to follow shortly!

30+ year Rush fan here (fave band). Clockwork Angels is now probably my favourite Rush album. Closely followed by Signals, Power Windows, 2112 & of course Moving Pictures. Test for Echo is their weakest output IMO. As stated previously, if you're in any way a Rush, you tend to have a favourite Rush era. Have no idea why I don't & why the albums I really like are spread across decades....... :blink:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1383918244' post='2270781']
[/quote]

Well, I have to say, Vapor Trails is much better. And I'm listening to the original release because I can't find the remixed version in full on Youtube! But the songs are clearly better, even if the mix is dubious.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383922245' post='2270872']
That's when I first heard Rush! It was a recording broadcast on the Rock Show in the autumn of 1979 of them playing at the Pink Pop Festival in Holland that summer . There is actually film of that performance from Dutch TV on Youtube.
[/quote]

I've still got the tape I recorded of the broadcast somewhere. Although I missed a bit of the start of Xanadu because I was secretly recording it on my dad's hi-fi while he was out and he came back unexpectedly causing me to panic and stop recording. He was very precious about his gear and wouldn't let anyone touch it. :lol:

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1383931225' post='2271016']
I've still got the tape I recorded of the broadcast somewhere. Although I missed a bit of the start of Xanadu because I was secretly recording it on my dad's hi-fi while he was out and he came back unexpectedly causing me to panic and stop recording. He was very precious about his gear and wouldn't let anyone touch it. :lol:
[/quote]

I remember taping it too , on my trusty old Sony radio-cassette, and I missed the begining trying to find a tape and get it in the machine :D . Those were the days! Kids nowadays don't have a clue with their" everything available instantly on the internet "mentality. Soon afterwards I got my granny to embroider the Rush logo on my denim jacket .

Alex Lifeson had a broken finger during that performance . At the time, the official story was that he had caught it in a door or something like that , but a few years ago , by bizzare chance , a German chap who was Rush's European record company "fixer" and who was on that tour with them at the time it happened told me that what had really transpired was Alex Lifeson's wife had flown over from Canada to spend some time with him and somehow ( don't ask how he did this) he had managed to trap his finger between the mattress and the bed frame whilst they were in the midst of having passionate sex.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1383928096' post='2270967']
Well, I have to say, Vapor Trails is much better. And I'm listening to the original release because I can't find the remixed version in full on Youtube! But the songs are clearly better, even if the mix is dubious.
[/quote]

Get the new one. Seriously! Buy it on Amazon for sick squid and it is instantly available on your SoundCloud player! It is SO much better than the original...

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1383936664' post='2271102']
Get the new one. Seriously! Buy it on Amazon for sick squid and it is instantly available on your SoundCloud player! It is SO much better than the original...
[/quote]

I just did this, thank you! It does sound a lot better than that totally rank previous version.