Why become a member? ×

JV gas...

cameltoe

I'm a big fan of precisions, had a few over the years, and have pretty much figured out what made me like or dislike certain examples.

Now though, having not had a change in a while, I'm developing JV gas. Mainly because there have been a few on here lately and the prices have been quite good in comparison to recent times. That and the reputation!

I'd also like a 'keeper' bass- one I can use for years and stow away for the future, so the future owners of my house can find it in the loft long after I've copped it. I can't afford 'true' vintage, but I can afford modern vintage.

So, how good are the JV series Precisions? How would they compare to something like the Classic '50's series? What about the American Vintage '57? How big are the necks? How thick is the finish? Do they have rolled fingerboards? Are they resonant? Are they generally nice and light, or does it vary considerably?

I'd love to play one, and recently saw a guy with one at a festival I played in the summer, but it looked a complete mess and the action was soooo high I didn't want to touch it.

Edited by cameltoe

Compared to the classic '50's …. not even comparable.
Compared to the AV '57ri …. comparable - one feels and sounds very very modern though, one feels and sounds like the baselines on your old records

How big are the necks? 43mm or so, an accurate vintage width (unlike the AV'57ri)
How thick is the finish? My old one never chipped so not sure. No thicker than any other, not as thick as the classic '50s felt to me.
Do they have rolled fingerboards? yes, and one of the nicest neck you'll play.
Are they resonant? Yes and some, an amazing projecting acoustic tone when unplugged. Even unplugged mine somehow sounded like a P bass should do.
Are they light? usually under alb

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1383417734' post='2264325']
Compared to the AV '57ri …. comparable - one feels and sounds very very modern though, one feels and sounds like the baselines on your old records

How big are the necks? 43mm or so, an accurate vintage width (unlike the AV'57ri)
How thick is the finish? My old one never chipped so not sure. No thicker than any other, not as thick as the classic '50s felt to me.
Are they resonant? Yes and some, an amazing projecting acoustic tone when unplugged. Even unplugged mine somehow sounded like a P bass should do.
[/quote]

That's not helped the gas one bit! Especially the part about them sounding and feeling old. I've never felt comfortable playing a modern, 'new' feeling bass, which is why I love my Road Worn Precision.

Oh dear....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1383417734' post='2264325']

[/quote]

Are you referring to the Classic '50s with flash coat lacquer finish & hardcase (which I think is a fantastic instrument withs thin finish and a real vintage vibe!) or the Classic '50s with no case and poly finish?

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1383419191' post='2264350']
Are you referring to the Classic '50s with flash coat lacquer finish & hardcase (which I think is a fantastic instrument withs thin finish and a real vintage vibe!) or the Classic '50s with no case and poly finish?
[/quote] dunno both I think, played a few hung up in shops they didn't show me the cases! … think I've played both. IMO the AVRI '57ri P I tried is the only modern production Fender precision that has come close to my old JV in terms of build and sound.
But then I think the old (up to this year) AVRI fender range was the best stuff fender have been putting out recently, precisions and jazzes; and some of the japanese stuff is nice too.
All my own opinion obviously

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1383419191' post='2264350']
[/quote]

I was referring to was the first series, with poly finish, as I haven't tried the new nitro finished series.

I do however own a Road Worn, which I would imagine is very similar to the new 50's lacquer.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1383420222' post='2264367']
I was referring to was the first series, with poly finish, as I haven't tried the new nitro finished series.

I do however own a Road Worn, which I would imagine is very similar to the new 50's lacquer.
[/quote] but bashed about a bit…! :)

Thanks guys... I'm looking at a precision to complete my collection and just wanted to clear it up as the Classic '60s Jazz bass models are vastly different (lacquer and non-lacquer models), so just wanted to clarify as it'll help me make a decision between the options, which are currently;

Nate Mendel Precision, Classic '50s (Lacquer) and a AV '63 RI. Mendel is winning it for me so far!

I used to have a JV Series Jazz Bass and subsequently a JV Series '62 Precision back when they were current , which must be thirty years ago now . Looking back , they were terriffic affordable basses at the time , but if I take off the rose tinted spectacles, I can remember them well enough and knew them intimately enough to say that they could easily be substituted with new instruments made in the present , and I would not even remotely consider buying one of these basses at the prices they go for today . They were nice budget basses, but that's all they were . The Holy Grail status they have taken on in the interim period is disproportionate to their true worth as instruments , and in all honesty , I would recommend that you take a look at the current American Standard range for a much better use of your funds if you want a solid and reliable bass that will give you years of good service .

I would also question the worth of a JV Series Squier as a long term investment . It's only a matter of time until the bubble bursts and people start realising that the Emporer has got no clothes on in terms of the market value of these basses. Mental health care has probably changed a lot in the interim period , but if you had suggested paying the equivalent sum as they are going for today for one of the Squiers thirty years ago , you would have probably been Sectioned. I got my Squier Precision secondhand for thirty quid and it was in mint condition , ( but in those days you could always find hippies in need of cash). I think my Jazz cost £185 brand new.

The Roadworn Fender remind me a lot of the old JV Series Squiers , and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they become sought adfter in a similar way after they are discontinued . The only drawback to the Roadworn Precision is the 1.75 nut width , whereas the Squiers had a 1.625 nut that lots of folks , including myself, prefer . That's the width on the current Am St bases , and they are superb basses . To give you some indication of how good I think they are , I went out a few years ago to buy a proper vintage Fender with enough funds at my disposal to buy anything that took my fancy , and came home with a new 2009 American Standard and most of my money intact .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383424619' post='2264423']
I used to have a JV Series Jazz Bass and subsequently a JV Series '62 Precision back when they were current , which must be thirty years ago now . Looking back , they were terriffic affordable basses at the time , but if I take off the rose tinted spectacles, I can remember them well enough and knew them intimately enough to say that they could easily be substituted with new instruments made in the present , and I would not even remotely consider buying one of these basses at the prices they go for today . They were nice budget basses, but that's all they were . The Holy Grail status they have taken on in the interim period is disproportionate to their true worth as instruments , and in all honesty , I would recommend that you take a look at the current American Standard range for a much better use of your funds if you want a solid and reliable bass that will give you years of good service .

I would also question the worth of a JV Series Squier as a long term investment . It's only a matter of time until the bubble bursts and people start realising that the Emporer has got no clothes on in terms of the market value of these basses. Mental health care has probably changed a lot in the interim period , but if you had suggested paying the equivalent sum as they are going for today for one of the Squiers thirty years ago , you would have probably been Sectioned. I got my Squier Precision secondhand for thirty quid and it was in mint condition , ( but in those days you could always find hippies in need of cash). I think my Jazz cost £185 brand new.

The Roadworn Fender remind me a lot of the old JV Series Squiers , and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they become sought adfter in a similar way after they are discontinued . The only drawback to the Roadworn Precision is the 1.75 nut width , whereas the Squiers had a 1.625 nut that lots of folks , including myself, prefer . That's the width on the current Am St bases , and they are superb basses . To give you some indication of how good I think they are , I went out a few years ago to buy a proper vintage Fender with enough funds at my disposal to buy anything that took my fancy , and came home with a new 2009 American Standard and most of my money intact .
[/quote]

The Nate Mendel comes with 'road worn' swing tags implying it is given the same treatment as the road worn precisions and features light relicing, whilst also coming with a 1.615 nut, which is what is putting it top of my list at the moment! The quality for £700 is great.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383424619' post='2264423']

[/quote]

Again, not helping my gas- I love my Roadworn, but the 1.75 neck is (was) a drawback. The fact the Squier has a 1.625 neck is even more attractive.

I do hear what you're saying about the hype though, but my [b]dream[/b] bass is an American Vintage '57 in white blond, that's been worn-in and batted around a bit (so as it's a bit more comfortable, and I'm not afraid to put my own dings in it) with a 1.625" neck. So Custom Shop only?

I have owned a fairly recent American Standard (2005 model) and it was a fantastic instrument, but I found it a touch heavy, the finish cold and thick, the neck very hard, and it felt more engineered than crafted. It just didn't have that organic, wooden feel that I've grown to love.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1383426483' post='2264451']
The Nate Mendel comes with 'road worn' swing tags implying is given the same treatment as the road worn precisions and features light relicing, whilst also coming with a 1.615 nut, which is what it putting it top of my list at the moment! The quality for £700 is great.
[/quote]

Yeah, the 1.75" neck is a drawback on the Roadworns, but they definitely have a magic about them, the three I have played anyway (including the one I own). I played a Nate Mendel recently and it was good.

I paid £699 for my RW brand new, in 2010.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1383426995' post='2264463']

Yeah, the 1.75" neck is a drawback on the Roadworns, but they definitely have a magic about them, the three I have played anyway (including the one I own). I played a Nate Mendel recently and it was good.

I paid £699 for my RW brand new, in 2010.
[/quote]

Pretty similar to a Mendel then, in price. I like that the Mendel has Quarter Pounders, nitro finish, relicing and the 1.161" slim nut. I've played the same one in my local shop about 8 times already! I might just have to bite the bullet and add it to the collection.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1383426754' post='2264459']
Again, not helping my gas- I love my Roadworn, but the 1.75 neck is (was) a drawback. The fact the Squier has a 1.625 neck is even more attractive.

I do hear what you're saying about the hype though, but my [b]dream[/b] bass is an American Vintage '57 in white blond, that's been worn-in and batted around a bit (so as it's a bit more comfortable, and I'm not afraid to put my own dings in it) with a 1.625" neck. So Custom Shop only?

I have owned a fairly recent American Standard (2005 model) and it was a fantastic instrument, but I found it a touch heavy, the finish cold and thick, the neck very hard, and it felt more engineered than crafted. It just didn't have that organic, wooden feel that I've grown to love.
[/quote]

The post-2008 Am St models have a [u]much[/u] thinner laquer coat , and seem fairly lightweight ( mine is about 8.8 pounds , and I've seen them even lighter . There are loads of other P-style basses on the market with a 1.625 width, too , if that is what you crave . Fender Custom Shop is worth saving for in so much as if you get a good Fender they are a lifetime investment , but also consider that for the same money or less there are lots of other Fender-style options that will potentially satisfy you .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1383426483' post='2264451']
The Nate Mendel comes with 'road worn' swing tags implying it is given the same treatment as the road worn precisions and features light relicing, whilst also coming with a 1.615 nut, which is what is putting it top of my list at the moment! The quality for £700 is great.
[/quote]

I promise you that ten years after Fender discontinue them , the Roadworns will have a similar cult status.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383427471' post='2264469']
The post-2008 Am St models have a [u]much[/u] thinner laquer coat , and seem fairly lightweight ( mine is about 8.8 pounds , and I've seen them even lighter . There are loads of other P-style basses on the market with a 1.625 width, too , if that is what you crave . Fender Custom Shop is worth saving for in so much as if you get a good Fender they are a lifetime investment , but also consider that for the same money or less there are lots of other Fender-style options that will potentially satisfy you .
[/quote]

That's interesting. I will certainly keep an eye out and try a more recent one when I get the chance. I'd love Nitro, really. Custom Shop isn't ideal, price-wise, and you don't get to try before you buy, either.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383427861' post='2264479']
I promise you that ten years after Fender discontinue them , the Roadworns will have a similar cult status.
[/quote]

I agree. I tried my Roadworn back to back with a Custom Shop P bass a couple years ago, and if the CS was 10/10 my RW was 9.5/10.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1383427276' post='2264467']
Pretty similar to a Mendel then, in price. I like that the Mendel has Quarter Pounders, nitro finish, relicing and the 1.161" slim nut. I've played the same one in my local shop about 8 times already! I might just have to bite the bullet and add it to the collection.
[/quote]

I will have to try one again, with your comments in mind. Only two things put me off- Rosewood (i prefer maple), and the fact that I f****** hate the Foo Fighters. :)

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1383429120' post='2264496']
That's interesting. I will certainly keep an eye out and try a more recent one when I get the chance. I'd love Nitro, really. Custom Shop isn't ideal, price-wise, and you don't get to try before you buy, either.

I agree. I tried my Roadworn back to back with a Custom Shop P bass a couple years ago, and if the CS was 10/10 my RW was 9.5/10.
[/quote]

The post -2012 Am St basses have got Fender Custom Shop Vintage pickups on, too. You also get an excellent case with them that would set you back well over a hundred quid as a separate item

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1383430011' post='2264515']

I will have to try one again, with your comments in mind. Only two things put me off- Rosewood (i prefer maple), and the fact that I f****** hate the Foo Fighters. :)
[/quote]

I must admit, I'm not a huge FF fan either but my intention for the bass would not be the same as Nate's. I had the same dilemma with my Geddy. Played everything blind and that's the one I chose, then realised it was a Geddy signature model! I've never played ANY Rush on it :)

Can't really comment on the bass front , but out of six Stratocasters that I own ( 3 vintage , 1 Custom Shop, a 25 th Annaversary, and a JV Squier that I picked up from the local ads for £200 ) the JV is one of the most playable Strats that I own .

Yup , I keep looking at some of those JV basses as well.

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1383431150' post='2264527']
Can't really comment on the bass front , but out of six Stratocasters that I own ( 3 vintage , 1 Custom Shop, a 25 th Annaversary, and a JV Squier that I picked up from the local ads for £200 ) the JV is one of the most playable Strats that I own .

Yup , I keep looking at some of those JV basses as well.
[/quote]

I must admit, having recently A/B/C'd my friend's CS '63 relic precision, a MIJ '57 RI Precision and a Nate Mendel and the Nate Mendel won on all fronts for me. However, I don't want to overlook other options even though I'm pretty much sold on the Mendel... Argh, decisions! I wish I was one of those people who just bought stuff blind without any reason or research :|

I've had mine from new and probably didn't appreciate how good it is until fairly recently.

It is my favourite bass, it sounds,looks and feels " right " to me.

I'm not actually 100% convinced by all the hype though. My affection ,Im sure, is very much due to having it,( her , in fact), for so long and having been through a lot together.

Played acoustically it sounds great, very resonant,amplified it got a nice woody tone. Interestingly it's not universally appreciated, the drummer has advised me that it's his least liked of my basses. Like his opinion counts!

There are pics in the porny section somewhere

I wouldn't say no to a JV Jazz to keep it company!