Why become a member? ×

Forget Me Nots pretty much note for note...

Jah Wibble

Do I think that because I think she's attractive AND plays bass then that makes her some holy grail in my quest for the perfect partner- no.
Would I still be interested if she worked at the fish counter at my local multinational hypermarket - yes.

Saw this vid come up on my YT feed and was impressed by the way it sounded (as per the title in my posting). The fact she's pretty hot is separate for me.

As for her being not as good live, can't say I've ever seen her but posting vids up on YT is pretty ballsy for anyone I think. I'm sure she get to point where she will be 'satisfactory' playing live for BC'ers, She's 20 ffs.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1383479078' post='2264795']
I find this weird. How can she be so tight at it on YT but live she sucks? Nerves or just not practicing I wonder?
[/quote]

We don't know that she's poor live, just someone's friend apparently saw her and thought so.

Anyway, she's way better in 3 years than me in 30 that's for sure.

Couldn't resist adding this:
[media]http://youtu.be/tgffDVO2UyA[/media]

Edited by 4 Strings

I dont understand where this thread eventually led us. It started off as a nice post about this girl playing a song really well and morphed into a Simon Cowellesque thread about how the music industry is harsh and she had better find out its difficulties before she might even begin to have aspirations.

Thing is none of us know what this girl wants to achieve in music. YT might be as far as she wants to take it.

For me like I have said she plays really well and I reckon with a few weeks to rehearse with a live band she would nail it and do really well

[quote name='Jah Wibble' timestamp='1383560231' post='2265739']
Do I think that because I think she's attractive AND plays bass then that makes her some holy grail in my quest for the perfect partner- no.
Would I still be interested if she worked at the fish counter at my local multinational hypermarket - yes.

Saw this vid come up on my YT feed and was impressed by the way it sounded (as per the title in my posting). The fact she's pretty hot is separate for me.

As for her being not as good live, can't say I've ever seen her but posting vids up on YT is pretty ballsy for anyone I think. I'm sure she get to point where she will be 'satisfactory' playing live for BC'ers, She's 20 ffs.
[/quote]

Well said

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1383560726' post='2265747']
I dont understand where this thread eventually led us. It started off as a nice post about this girl playing a song really well and morphed into a Simon Cowellesque thread about how the music industry is harsh and she had better find out its difficulties before she might even begin to have aspirations.

Thing is none of us know what this girl wants to achieve in music. YT might be as far as she wants to take it.

For me like I have said she plays really well and I reckon with a few weeks to rehearse with a live band she would nail it and do really well
[/quote]

+1 for this

For what it's worth, I think the girl plays well on her Youtube videos.
However, taking weeks to learn numbers and sets seems a long time to me.
That's what musicians at the top of the game, don't do.
They have the ability to put it together quickly, and that's why the same faces
keep popping up all the time.
It sets them aside from (a lot of) Youtube musicians and [size=4]folks that do it for a hobby (however good they are).[/size]

[size=4]Good luck to her in whatever she decides to do.[/size]

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1383560493' post='2265744']
We don't know that she's poor live, just someone's friend apparently saw her and thought so.

Anyway, she's way better in 3 years than me in 30 that's for sure.

Couldn't resist adding this:
[media]http://youtu.be/tgffDVO2UyA[/media]
[/quote]

You're right, it was unnecessarily harsh by me. I'm going to edit that now.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1383562420' post='2265777']
For what it's worth, I think the girl plays well on her Youtube videos.
However, taking weeks to learn numbers and sets seems a long time to me.
That's what musicians at the top of the game, don't do.
They have the ability to put it together quickly, and that's why the same faces
keep popping up all the time.
It sets them aside from (a lot of) Youtube musicians and [size=4]folks that do it for a hobby (however good they are).[/size]

[size=4]Good luck to her in whatever she decides to do.[/size]
[/quote]
You are probably right top session bassists don't need as long as two weeks but then top session bassists tend to have a bit more under their belts than three years. Wonder what JPJ would have thought getting this amount of criticism three years into his game.

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1383566112' post='2265852']
Wonder if this girl knows/gives a s*** that a thread exists about her. I hope she doesnt give a s***
[/quote]

Ha! This is probably the case!

I'm just about old enough to start considering my age!.....but only just!

I seem to recall I could play most other peoples' records when I'd been playing for three years. Being able to physically play 99% of pop songs isn't something that most people will struggle with. Maybe she can't do much other than that though.

Still I doubt she cares, she's pretty and she gets free basses from Stuart Zender, so that's two things she's got over me already...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383519067' post='2265496']
Once again though , what I can't understand is why as soon as a moderately attractive woman picks up a bass she is immidiately feted as a sex symbol . I am genuinely interested if people would be so enamoured if she worked on the fish counter at Tescos. Do men[i] really [/i]crave someone who shares the same interests as themselves? Maybe I have high standards, but I wouldn't look twice at this girl . It is a very nice bass, though, so plenty of eye candy there. .
[/quote]

I recently posted a few vids of really good people playing bass live and the one with a pretty girl playing got three times as many views (about 1,700) than any of the ones with guys.

This is the vid in question:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggPooXtzUD0[/media]

She does the solo YT thing as well (oddly reversed so it looks like she's a lefty):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTBiLWl1734

Edited by molan

Yolanda Charles has today written a very interesting post on her wall on Facebook about people / pretty / girls playing along to covers on YouTube and has opened up a rather interesting debate on the subject.
I'm sure it's a coincidence an unrelated to this thread but it makes interesting reading.

I would copy and paste the post here but although its on a social network site I'm not sure if its up to me for me to distribute the comments elsewhere.

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1383654493' post='2267015']
Yolanda Charles has today written a very interesting post on her wall on Facebook about people / pretty / girls playing along to covers on YouTube and has opened up a rather interesting debate on the subject.
I'm sure it's a coincidence an unrelated to this thread but it makes interesting reading.

I would copy and paste the post here but although its on a social network site I'm not sure if its up to me for me to distribute the comments elsewhere.
[/quote]

It's a public FaceBook page and anyone can see the thread so i don't think it's a problem to re-post:

"[color=#37404E]Dunno what to make of musicians uploading video of themselves playing covers along with the original tracks in background... The vids with the most hits are usually of pretty (?) girls playing competently enough I guess.... but what is the point?? If it was an original, self-penned riff or soloing I'd understand after all us musicians are self promoting to sell our music aren't we? Or for some is [/color][color=#37404E]it about just promoting themselves? I can tell you this about me, if I didn't have an album and gigs to talk about I wouldn't be using FB in the way I do. For me it's about the music I write, play and promote for others. Otherwise I guess I could just upload some vids playing some Jaco in a bikini.... hmmm... lol No wise cracks!!"[/color]

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1383570099' post='2265916']
I recently posted a few vids of really good people playing bass live and the one with a pretty girl playing got three times as many views (about 1,700) than any of the ones with guys.

This is the vid in question:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggPooXtzUD0[/media]

[/quote]

This is great!