Why become a member? ×

Ordered another SX!

paul h

Just "pulled the trigger" on this....

[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb-75ltd3ts.html"]http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb-75ltd3ts.html[/url] and a black scratchplate to go with it.

£140 plus whatever I get stung for by customs. Around £30/40 I imagine.

The next 2-5 days will be hell! :)

Paul.

Edited by paul h

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='224207' date='Jun 22 2008, 03:41 PM']Do you gig your SXs? Do they stand up to the rigours of gigging ok?[/quote]

Yes, 100%.

My 2 are gigged regularly and are a dream to play.

Paul......Wizards are great. But the stock PUPS were/are OK, bit too strong for my liking.

SX rules!!!!

[quote name='neilb' post='224268' date='Jun 22 2008, 04:55 PM']Yes, 100%.
My 2 are gigged regularly and are a dream to play.
Paul......Wizards are great. But the stock PUPS were/are OK, bit too strong for my liking.
SX rules!!!![/quote]
Would a J-retro or similar pre-amp fit into the Jazz d'you reckon? Might be a fun to hot-rod one....

[quote]Paul......Wizards are great. But the stock PUPS were/are OK, bit too strong for my liking.[/quote]

Hopefully the "improved" Ltd. pickups are not actually just "ruined". My stock P pickup is great. Loud and punchy. Just like me on a night out! :)

[quote]BTW: great website & portfolio Paul H. Impressive stuff.[/quote]

Ta muchly.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='224275' date='Jun 22 2008, 05:09 PM']Would a J-retro or similar pre-amp fit into the Jazz d'you reckon? Might be a fun to hot-rod one....[/quote]

You will need to route the cavity a little deeper so I understand to take the retro. Some US owners have stuck in Auderes and retros and state they had to do some woodwork on the cavity.

Hi Warpig,

This is actually a new Ltd. version. The one pictured in my post above never came back in stock. Luckily they now do a black replacement pg! So I get the look I was after..plus the high mass bridge and improved tuners/fret job/pickups.

P.

Would you believe Fedex tried to deliver it today while I was at work!

Ordered Sunday, delivered Wednesday. That's quicker than most UK shops. I have arrange for it to be delivered to another address...hopefully tomorrow.

There will be duty to pay, but they can't tell me how much yet.

Paul.

Talking of SX basses I come across this vid of Marlowe DK..great player, he's using an SX fretless, sounds good too :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2bKBg2J-k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2bKBg2J-k[/url]

Got it!

Not so good out of the box as my P...but a beautiful looking bass. It is in dire need of a set up and I have given the truss rod a quick tweak already. I will let that settle before I do anything drastic but I think it might need a neck shim. I will order some new strings for it and then sort it out properly.

The only slightly annoying thing is that the SX scratchplate I ordered didn't actually fit. On closer inspection the original plate had been altered also. A few minutes with a craft knife and some sandpaper soon got it sorted out though.

The neck is lovely. It could be mistaken for a Fender neck quite easily. It is somewhere between a P and a J and feels very comfortable. The body, believe it or not appears to be a single piece of ash with quite a nice grain.

It sounds and plays terrible at the moment, but I can definitely hear a good bass in there somewhere. I just need to tease it out.

This quick snap does not do it justice in anyway...it really is a stunning looking bass.

[attachment=10063:SN850056.JPG]

As soon as I get the duty bill I will let you know the total cost.

Paul.

Edited by paul h