Why become a member? ×

"Pay to play on my album!"

Skol303

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse the two, I do understand. I'm just looking at the likely end game if it were a success. Believe me the last thing I want to be is a cynic, but at the same moment, I need to keep realism at the forefront of my thinking.
It's a nice idea and I hope she gets it done, I just hope that the initial sentiment of yay lets do something together remains, and if there is a bank account full of IP money that the same approach is taken, 'yay lets all spend the money' :yarr:

Edited by jakenewmanbass

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1382687684' post='2255356']
If you work in this industry, you realise that it's rife with people willing to take advantage of peoples input when you're all slumming it in some shithole rehearsal studio, but as soon as popularity arrives and your creative input is involved in a multi million selling album, when they slap a million quid on the table to be divvied up, you will suddenly become less important than the guy who supplied the record exec with coke...

So forgive me for expecting this naive little number to turn bad if things go well for this album, but I'm afraid I've heard tell of the worst excesses of greed too many times to expect fairness to reign, The deal must be sorted before anything happens.

I would never pay to play on an album unless I was given a guaranteed return, via royalties or some such mechanism, at which point I'd consider myself an investor not an artistic contributor.

As a bass player, I would expect pay for my days work.
[/quote]

I think you're misinterpreting what is being asked for. It reads to me like she's offering fans---not musicians---the chance to contribute little things. Handclaps, rimshots, etc. Daft things so that fans can say "I'm on that". I don't read it as "I want musicians to play all the tracks and pay me for the privilege".

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1382690842' post='2255394']Sorry I didn't mean to confuse the two, I do understand. I'm just looking at the likely end game if it were a success. Believe me the last thing I want to be is a cynic, but at the same moment, I need to keep realism at the forefront of my thinking.
It's a nice idea and I hope she gets it done, I just hope that the initial sentiment of yay lets do something together remains, and if there is a bank account full of IP money that the same approach is taken, 'yay lets all spend the money' :yarr:[/quote]

No worries, I totally understand the confusion - not helped by the title I gave to this thread! :)

I can vouch for Olivia in terms of her authenticity. I remixed a track of hers ages ago - she's a very genuine sort and certainly not the type to take advantage of folks. I don't think there's any intention to share royalities as a result of this. It's very simply a case of helping her fund a new album - and if you're a fan with money to burn, making your mark (albeit a small one) on the end product.

Kickstarter projects like this are becoming a popular model for funding all sorts of creative projects, so I think the more innovative you can be in sourcing donations, the better. But I understand that not everyone feels comfortable with this idea.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1382695499' post='2255471']Good grief, how many Triangles, Rim shots and Hand claps do you need on an album ?[/quote]

Judging from her website, about a thousand pounds worth! :lol:

(I think she's offering 10 opportunities at £100 each).

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1382697900' post='2255525']
(I think she's offering 10 opportunities at £100 each).
[/quote]

10 opportunities ? @ £100 a take..........
I now get why she wants fans to do the playing, it would make financial sense.
A pro would only need one opportunity to get it right :D

Edited by lowdown

Interesting how many people have picked up on this being a way to con people into paying to make her record for her, or for her to get session musicians on the cheap.

I've supported a couple of Kickstarter projects, one for a remake of an X-com computer game (Xenonauts) where paying my $30 gave me beta access and the opportunity to have my thoughts and opinions on how the game should work heard by the developers. So the result was a game that I'd help to shape and make a reality.

If I were to pay the £100 to contribute to this album, is this not the same as my contribution to Xenonauts? For me, it would be a nice exercise in making something creative happen that benefits from my creativity and my financial support. It would have nothing to do with an artist trying to pull a fast one.