Why become a member? ×

MM Stingrays?

Highfox

[url="http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/lowwregisterhead/media/c6268724-d33c-4b17-8808-2c6f456e5def_zps5873594c.jpg.html"][/url]

Great basses, but like any instrument, they can be a little variable. I've had a few over the years, and one or two have not been outstanding, but most have been very good. I'm with Pete regarding the preEB's - they have a juiciness the new ones lack. The Classics come close, IMHO, but a good early Stingray has something special about it.

The one I sold that I regret to this day is pictured above - a heavily modded preEB that I let go for stupid money because I couldn't pay the rent one month back in the 80's. If anyone sees it, let me know! :(

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384017134' post='2271985']
I think he sounds best on a Modulus live, I wasnt a fan of his Jazz bass era and I presume neither was he as it was quite short and returned to the Modulus even though he had parted company with them so he must really dig them, I still want one in sparkly silver, 5 string natch :D
[/quote]

I agree on the Flea/Jazz combination. Too much twang and not enough grunt.

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1384020427' post='2272040']
I have a 2011 2 band classic with a maple board. It is an exquisite bass. Light, resonant and sounds fantastic. I've been round the block a couple of time with Rays and this is the best one. The neck profile (pre EB) is stunning.

An amazing bass!
[/quote]
As much as I loved my pre eb stingrays the overall fit and finish on the classic series is the best I have seen on any musicman bass, one of the best regardless of make actually.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1383908788' post='2270606']
The magnet damping the string because the pickup is too close because of people trying to raise the g volume is the chief suspect, lower the whole pickup right down and raise the treble end until it gives a nice clear output with no magnet damping then in a band setting (most important imo) raise or lower the bass side until the bass has an even output, simples as annoying people say :)
[/quote]

This. I suppose it could be considered a fault but it's really not a problem if you do this.

I have another bass (not a Stingray) with a weak D and A. Awkward (any advice welcome!)