Why become a member? ×

One off lessons

Annoying Twit

I'm basically stumbling forward bit by bit by myself. I just don't have enough spare life left over to really take on regular formal lessons.

I was wondering what people here thought of the worth of having the occasional one-off lesson here and there. Is there value in this?

Things that I'd be concerned about is whether or not a teacher would want to take what I do and re-work it from scratch. Andrew Levy of The Brand New Heavies has mentioned that he has what someone described as 'awful' technique after teaching himself. But he gets the job done, and given who I am and where I am, if I just more or less get there, then I'd be happy. (And I seem to be getting there, albeit slowly and sporadically).

Also, would a teacher be too used to people that they see every week, and perhaps someone who turns up for a one-off would require a different teaching strategy in the (say) one hour available? Is that enough time to (say) teach some basics of a new technique such as tapping or slapping, leaving me in a better position to continue learning that by myself than I would be otherwise?

Edit: I'd like to be clear. I'm not asking if a one off lesson would be all that I would need. Or that it compares to regular lessons of an hour a week or suchlike. Only whether having the occasional lesson would be a significant improvement compared to having NO lessons.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I do plenty of one off lessons for people to see some major topic material, I generally make it at least 2 hrs with a possible tea break and I spend time reiterating central messages to maximise the uptake of material trying to ensure that retention is reasonable, I also offer a back up questions via email option because the reality is you will not remember everything that you are shown in an intense lesson.
So definitely doable.
Find someone thorough with a proven track record of clear communication of material, and who can give rapid and accurate analysis of your needs.

Yes. I think lessons are great for keeping you on the straight and narrow and also for motivation.

Granted, the more regular, the more beneficial. However, taking one from time to time is money well spent.

Have you considered lessons via skype ? If time is precious, then you save by not having to travel.

I've had some really good one-off lessons.

Each lesson keeps me on track and I go back again when I next need direction.

My bro in law is a cello teacher. My Ma in law is a piano teacher. Both agree that with most students the real purpose of the lesson is to keep the kids practicing. If this isn't a problem with you, then I'd ask "what do you want regular lessons for? "

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1382251821' post='2249643']
I've had some really good one-off lessons.

Each lesson keeps me on track and I go back again when I next need direction.

My bro in law is a cello teacher. My Ma in law is a piano teacher. Both agree that with most students the real purpose of the lesson is to keep the kids practicing. If this isn't a problem with you, then I'd ask "what do you want regular lessons for? "
[/quote]

I mainly want to play 'normal' bass. I seem to be making good progress with this. I can seem to get the hang of the index/middle finger 'pop' with slap bass, though slapping with my thumb sounds right. And I really don't know what I'm doing when I try to tap, though I can hammer on OK. I can sort of get something going with the left hand in the bass register, but higher notes sound all kinds of wrong. I am guessing (careful choice of word there) that if I had a one off lesson on one of these topics, that if I could be taught to 'get it' for one riff, that this would speed me up considerably. Rather than just trying just random stuff until I stumble onto it.

One thing that prompted this was that I try to make sure I do regular exercise as well as all the other 'stuff' in my life. Having missed loads of exercise while busy at work, I attended a coached swim session. A number of bad habits were pointed out, which now that I'm aware of them, I can address them. Perhaps the same would apply to bass.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1382180285' post='2248939']
Leicester. I work in education myself, so I think I'm reasonably prepared to take sufficient notes etc in order to make sure I have what I need to revise/remember material.
[/quote]
Doddy (BC member) is across the A50 from you I think he teaches around Stafford.. might be worth the trek.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1382338056' post='2250665']
Stafford is quite some distance away. I think I'd need to take a train to Birmingham and change. It would take me hours to get there, I think.
[/quote]

It really is! Even by car its near an hour and a half. If you're going for one off lessons it really has to be with someone quality and when I lived in leicester I only found one guy who used to teach at the Soundcontrol but he had to stop for health reasons. Might be worth asking in Sheehans if they know of anyone.

Speak to Matejj53! He is based in Leicester city centre and I went for a lesson with him the other day, great guy, and within one hour he started getting me out a slump I've been in for a while.

Basschat Profile:

http://basschat.co.uk/user/23044-matejj53/

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1382178755' post='2248916']
I do plenty of one off lessons for people to see some major topic material, I generally make it at least 2 hrs with a possible tea break and I spend time reiterating central messages to maximise the uptake of material trying to ensure that retention is reasonable, I also offer a back up questions via email option because the reality is you will not remember everything that you are shown in an intense lesson.
So definitely doable.
Find someone thorough with a proven track record of clear communication of material, and who can give rapid and accurate analysis of your needs.
[/quote]
[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1382178829' post='2248917']
where are you based btw, I may be able to recommend as I know players/teachers all over the place.
[/quote]
Hi Jake

I don't suppose that you can recommend anyone in the West Yorkshire area?

About three years ago I started playing the blues circuit after 30 years of playing predominantly rock music. I have done OK getting gigs, etc and have been lucky to play all over the country in that time, but I do find that I come across a few guys on the circuit that have that little bit extra in their locker. It’s not so much playing blues lines, which I’m quite comfortable doing, more being able to incorporate a bit more of a (finger) funk type feel when the mood takes them.

Also, I find that for the first time in my life that I am occasionally asked to play short solos, with varying results!

I don’t want to re-evaluate my playing or start a programme of studying with a teacher, more a lesson or two with someone to give me a few new ideas and open up a new direction rather than getting stuck playing the same stuff that I have been doing for years. Also, I would want it to be genre specific, i.e. stuff that I can use in a blues rock band. I am never going to need to play solos using chord tones over a II V I turnaround, so I would need someone who does understand the blues genre.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated…

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1382180285' post='2248939']
Leicester. I work in education myself, so I think I'm reasonably prepared to take sufficient notes etc in order to make sure I have what I need to revise/remember material.
[/quote] search in the "Tutors Available" section for "Leicester". I'm envious of you over the number of tutors available.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1382483469' post='2252845']
Hi Jake

I don't suppose that you can recommend anyone in the West Yorkshire area?

About three years ago I started playing the blues circuit after 30 years of playing predominantly rock music. I have done OK getting gigs, etc and have been lucky to play all over the country in that time, but I do find that I come across a few guys on the circuit that have that little bit extra in their locker. It’s not so much playing blues lines, which I’m quite comfortable doing, more being able to incorporate a bit more of a (finger) funk type feel when the mood takes them.

Also, I find that for the first time in my life that I am occasionally asked to play short solos, with varying results!

I don’t want to re-evaluate my playing or start a programme of studying with a teacher, more a lesson or two with someone to give me a few new ideas and open up a new direction rather than getting stuck playing the same stuff that I have been doing for years. Also, I would want it to be genre specific, i.e. stuff that I can use in a blues rock band. I am never going to need to play solos using chord tones over a II V I turnaround, so I would need someone who does understand the blues genre.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated…
[/quote]
Hi Pete,
It's a bit of a trek but if you could get over to Manchester, I would recommend Neil Fairclough. He's a dynamite player, a very well experienced teacher and an all round great guy/music enthusiast. He currently plays with Queen when they're doing stuff as well as a host of other pro jobs. He is extremely knowledgeable in all genres of music and can play in most styles really authentically.
He's also a mate so I can put you in touch if this looks interesting to you.
Cheers
Jake

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1382525571' post='2253124']

Hi Pete,
It's a bit of a trek but if you could get over to Manchester, I would recommend Neil Fairclough. He's a dynamite player, a very well experienced teacher and an all round great guy/music enthusiast. He currently plays with Queen when they're doing stuff as well as a host of other pro jobs. He is extremely knowledgeable in all genres of music and can play in most styles really authentically.
He's also a mate so I can put you in touch if this looks interesting to you.
Cheers
Jake
[/quote]
Cheers Jake
Manchester is certainly doable for a one-off or occasional lesson. I'll check him out and drop you a PM later - sounds good...
Many thanks,
Pete