Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New old bass day - Shergold Marathon

Paul S

I recently bought this on eBay (thread hijack linked here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/217681-shergold-marathon-woo-hoo/page__view__findpost__p__2225488)

It eventually arrived yesterday - I spent the afternoon giving it a clean (it was filthy, especially in the corners) then stuck some flats on it. Some pics:

[attachment=146304:marathon1.jpg][attachment=146305:marathon2.jpg][attachment=146306:marathon3.jpg][attachment=146307:marathon4.jpg][attachment=146308:marathon5.jpg][attachment=146309:marathon6.jpg][attachment=146310:marathon7.jpg][attachment=146311:marathon8.jpg]

Interesting to see the pickup mod was stamped by the luthier, Jim Cairnes. I guess he made those pups himself? Certainly the little scratchplates look home made. Might get the BassDoc to tidy that up and bit if I can't live with it. Also notice the bridge is not the original, judging by the screwholes.

Anyway, scruffy as heck - the pictures managed to capture the Shergold paint crazing quite well! Covered in 40 yrs worth of dinks. The neck is in really good shape, some fret wear but plenty of life left. I need to set the action a little lower but it looks like that is not a problem. Works as it should, sounds absolutely gorgeous with a deep, woody thump when the tone is rolled off, half way you start to get a livelier sound. I imagine all that extra routing has helped the weight, which is a ridiculous 7.5lbs.

Happy chap, here! I am really looking forward to seeing how this cuts through in the band mix.

Yup. I reckon the body is light enough to use as a float and I can paddle along with the neck. Oddly, no neck dive. I lowered the action, tried it, fine. Lowered it a bit more, still fine. Now set lower than any of my other basses! Great neck.