Why become a member? ×

Lefty short scale options?

I know Warwick has the Rockbass Corvette Standard in a 30" version, and there must be some affordable hollowbodies out there like the Ibanez AGB-200 (now out of production, but can still be found here and there) and the many, many Höfner copies out there. I'm sure I forgot a bunch. I used to own an Italia Torino (also a semi-hollowbody) which was shortscale. I don't know many solidbody shorties though, other than the Rockbass :(

Fender did knock out shorter scale mustangs (and possibly musicmasters) during the mid/late 70's, these tend to pop up now and then and are slightly more affordable than full scale similar era models.

Without upsetting the hardcore lefty massive - I've previously used a short scale Gibson EB bass upside down - and would have no fear of buying an Epiphone EB and using it until something more suitable becomes available.

Upside-down Beatle Bass would seem to be one choice - pretty sure they're 30 inch scale.

Could also use an Epiphone Flying Vee bass upside-down, they were very popular with lefties when they originally came out apparently.

As an absolute last resort you could also do this with a Vox or similar teardrop-shape, but be warned - they are horrible! I had a Vox Wyman once, hated it .

There are extremely cheap, Indonesian-made lefty Beatle Basses (see my avatar), no need to turn one upside-down. They're short scale, but IMO not too comfy to play. I would go with a Warwick short scale, whatever model is available - all the small bodied ones are much more ergonomic than a B-Bass and better sounding.

Thomann do their harley-benton stuff short scale, LH and cheap...
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_shorty_lh_bk_std_series.htm

I seem to recall getting a Hofner (Icon ?) 500/1 from them a few years ago around £200 - cheap and it had the kudos of being a Hofner (if thats your thing).