Why become a member? ×

New ideas for the Recording forum - THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!

Skol303

Thanks to everyone who gave ideas and voted for what they'd like to see happen in the Recording forum.

We now have a list of stuff to do.

[size=5][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/217963-your-ideas-for-the-recording-forum-whats-happening/"][b]Update here[/b][/url] [/size]for anyone interested :)

Edited by Skol303

Hi Paul,

Don't think I've ever spent much time in the section but have really enjoyed quite a wide range of BC's recording output - diverse range including one of Clarky's bands, Kit Richardson and Dick Venom, all of which I came across through general discussion.

First obvious (to me) one would be to seperate out recordings from recording. Also perhaps encourage posters to put a little more detail in the post - although you can see from the above I have a fairly wide range of musical taste there is plenty I would be happy to give a wide berth to, so a few pointers before clicking on to soundcloud or reverbnation (which sometimes can take a little while to load) would be useful.

Of course, the best way to get more people looking would be to rename the section "Off Topic" :o

Good luck with boosting the section - I will try and spend a bit more time in there!

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks Mike! Good ideas :)

I especially like the suggestion of maybe setting up a sub-forum dedicated to sharing new music - leaving the rest of the Rec forum for discussing the process of recording itself. Makes sense. I'll float this idea amongst the community and get people's feedback on it.

Oh and don't be a stranger! Plenty of opportunity for you to get stuck in and record some music yourself. Yeah, I'm on a recruitment drive... ;)

Cheers,

Paul

We now have a bunch of new ideas for the Recording forum, as suggested by the BC community!

Have a look at what's been suggested and vote for what you'd like to see happen as a priority.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/217963-your-ideas-for-the-recording-forum-vote/"][b][size=5]LINK HERE[/size][/b][/url]

are you kidding me? i tried it once all that stuff about busses and auxs and spdif and midi dont get me started on midi :gas: :blink:

is there a subforum for just plugging something in and press the red and white button together? they seem to have got away with it quite well in the 60s :)

on a serious note i did browse thorugh the other day looking for suggestions for software frrebies to download (i have an emu0404 and a small evolution keyboard controller) - ive installed some stuff but thats about as far as it got :huh:

[i]Confused - Tunbridge Wells[/i]

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1381905578' post='2245106']are you kidding me? i tried it once all that stuff about busses and auxs and spdif and midi dont get me started on midi :gas: :blink:

is there a subforum for just plugging something in and press the red and white button together? they seem to have got away with it quite well in the 60s [/quote]

Haha! :lol: If it's any consolation Steve, this is [i]exactly[/i] how I felt three years ago when I came back to tinkering with music at home after a ten year break. It's also exactly the sort of thing the Recording forum is there to help with.

I think a lot of people are understandably put off from recording their own music because it's something that's typically surrounded by lots of techy jargon and photos of expensive studio set ups. Truth is it's very easy to get started and produce good quality tracks on a shoestring and with very little technical know-how. In many ways it really is no more complicated than just hitting 'play/record'!

We're going to be posting up a 'Beginners Guide to Recording' thread fairly soon, which will provide a step-by-step guide to getting started (equipment, software, free resources, etc). In the meantime if you have any questions just ask... :)

Paul

Divide the forum into:

- Recoding equipment
- Recording process
- Sharing new music.

I would even go further and sub-divide the "Recording Process" forum by Mac, Windows and other. That would help segment the contributions making them easier to navigate. Let's be honest if I go to that forum it will be primarily to find help on my recording ventures.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by Mcgiver69

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1381916982' post='2245297']
Haha! :lol: If it's any consolation Steve, this is [i]exactly[/i] how I felt three years ago when I came back to tinkering with music at home after a ten year break. It's also exactly the sort of thing the Recording forum is there to help with.

I think a lot of people are understandably put off from recording their own music because it's something that's typically surrounded by lots of techy jargon and photos of expensive studio set ups. Truth is it's very easy to get started and produce good quality tracks on a shoestring and with very little technical know-how. In many ways it really is no more complicated than just hitting 'play/record'!

We're going to be posting up a 'Beginners Guide to Recording' thread fairly soon, which will provide a step-by-step guide to getting started (equipment, software, free resources, etc). In the meantime if you have any questions just ask... :)

Paul
[/quote]

thanks i will keep an eye out for this :D

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1381925695' post='2245511']Divide the forum into:

- Recoding equipment
- Recording process
- Sharing new music.

I would even go further and sub-divide the "Recording Process" forum by Mac, Windows and other. That would help segment the contributions making them easier to navigate. Let's be honest if I go to that forum it will be primarily to find help on my recording ventures.

Hope this makes sense.[/quote]

That does indeed make sense, cheers! We're currently looking at ways of dividing up the Recording forum into logical sections, to make it easier to navigate. At the moment we're considering setting up a sub-forum for recordings (i.e. music that people have made) separate to recording (i.e. processes and equipment). We'll probably trial this as a first step and sub-divide it further based on demand, using the kind of categories you're suggesting. We want to avoid cutting the cake too thinly, so to speak, as if we have too many sub forums they might dry up without the 'critical mass' of people using them. But we're definitely thinking along these lines... :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1381926621' post='2245540']thanks i will keep an eye out for this :D[/quote]

No probs mate! I'll post a note here in General Discussion once it's up and running. We're keen to make it as clear and easy to follow as possible, so feedback would be appreciated when the time comes.

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1381925695' post='2245511']
Divide the forum into:

- Recoding equipment
- Recording process
- Sharing new music.

Hope this makes sense.
[/quote]
Good one. Plus I'd suggest splitting the "Sharing the music"; provided we can get enough folk posting recordings.

I suggest this because the response from the listener could be different if you know the band thinks they're noobs or if they're trying to chase a recording contract.
Maybe this can be info posted with the link - including this in the standard posting procedure again.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1381905578' post='2245106']
are you kidding me? i tried it once all that stuff about busses and auxs and spdif and midi dont get me started on midi :gas: :blink:
[/quote]

ooo I can help with understanding midi
This is awesome & is easy to follow
[url="http://tweakheadz.com/how-to-get-started-with-midi-and-the-difference-between-midi-and-audio-is-explained-along-with-many-other-core-concepts-for-building-a-home-recording-studio/"]http://tweakheadz.com/how-to-get-started-with-midi-and-the-difference-between-midi-and-audio-is-explained-along-with-many-other-core-concepts-for-building-a-home-recording-studio/[/url]

But as for suggestions stuff like this link for beginners (Like me) would be great. The whole recording world is a bit bewildering & beginners guides makes things more approachable.

understanding the lingo is half the battle in my opinion although I'm fighting my way through this world i have to say it's a hard to understand dark art.

ok i found my power supply and midi cable for the kybd (evolution mk425c) 2 octave jobbie - found the breakout cable for my emu 0404 - all connected up and the keyboard is working through nanostudio (installed on pc not mac btw)

what do i do now :gas:

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1382017505' post='2246725']ok i found my power supply and midi cable for the kybd (evolution mk425c) 2 octave jobbie - found the breakout cable for my emu 0404 - all connected up and the keyboard is working through nanostudio (installed on pc not mac btw)

what do i do now :gas:[/quote]

Press play/record! :D

I have Nanostudio on my phone - it's great. I'm not sure whether it can record audio, but you should be able to use the keyboard you've connected to play and record MIDI notes - literally by hitting record and noodling away. Try it. If it doesn't work I'll have a quick look into the desktop copy of Nanostudio and try to find a solution for ya.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1382081556' post='2247539']
Press play/record! :D

I have Nanostudio on my phone - it's great. I'm not sure whether it can record audio, but you should be able to use the keyboard you've connected to play and record MIDI notes - literally by hitting record and noodling away. Try it. If it doesn't work I'll have a quick look into the desktop copy of Nanostudio and try to find a solution for ya.
[/quote]

didnt work lol - the keyboard is making groovy noises but nothing is recording on the track - tried it in reaper too

going to stick to just playing bass :P

edit - thenanostudio is on my desktop pc btw - i do also have it on my iphone but have never bothered using it so that was 11 quid well spent i guess :huh:

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1382082281' post='2247554']didnt work lol - the keyboard is making groovy noises but nothing is recording on the track - tried it in reaper too

going to stick to just playing bass :P

edit - thenanostudio is on my desktop pc btw - i do also have it on my iphone but have never bothered using it so that was 11 quid well spent i guess :huh:[/quote]

There's definitely an easy fix here somewhere!... for Reaper if not for Nanostudio. I'll get back to you mate (currently sat on a train) and try to find an easy way of getting you set up.

You don't get to escape that easily... ;)