Why become a member? ×

How long to wait? Custom stuff content.

woodyratm

Hey guys,
This is a slight continuation of the custom builders thread.

I've got some items I'm waiting on ($600+) - Ordered at the start of Aug (1st week), got an email back from the builder saying there would be about a 5 week wait.
No worries I can live with that. I've got some holidays and other things to deal with, so no rush at that point.
Fast forward a week after the 5 week mark - i email and ask if there is an ETA, not pushing; simply looking for an update. I'm told there was a hold up and they will be shipped this week or next (now at Sept 17th). Awesome - soon then.
Fast forward again to 2nd October - still not sign of tracking number, so I mail once again. Get told They have no shipped yet, but should be shipped in the next few days.
Now here we are at the 10th - 8 days after I was told it would be shipped in the next few days.

I've used this builder before, and was excellent then. But now I've waited for well over the proposed 5 week build time, and I'm just tired. Everytime i mail, I'm told that it will be shipped that week etc.

Am I within my grounds to ask for a refund? I think 10 weeks (almost) is insane. Even more annoying is the fact that I'll still need to wait for the units to arrive from the states!

Edited by woodyratm

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1381405258' post='2238524']
I would call him for a chat.
[/quote]
Looks like it might come to that. If I can find a number.

Not looking forward to calling someone in the states.

EDIT: Can't find a number - bugger.

Edited by woodyratm

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1381405831' post='2238538']
How long to wait?

As long as you were told it was going to take... It's unacceptable that builders just let shipping dates pass without a word. If the delay is communicated to you in a timely fashion then no problem, but just missing dates is not right.

Rob
[/quote]

I agree :( 5 week wait I was alright with, Then when I was told there was a delay, I was fine. I just don't understand why 3 pedals can take 10 weeks to build.... ARG!

Hmm, at least you have a running dialogue going on - it's not like you paid in August and have heard nothing since. These custom builders are usually one man outfits, so things like supplier delays or ilness can have a big knock on effect. it's possible that your order is packaged up and ready to go on his workbench, but a couple of days off ill or hanging around waiting for parts means that he's now behind on the 12 other orders he has and he hasn't had time to nip down to the post office or check his email every day.

I had a similar delay experience with a US builder. The original 4-6 week delivery ended up being something like 13 weeks due to illness/sudden increase in orders/parts supply problems and the fact that the guy stil had a 'day job' to go to.

I think a little bit more patience is justified in this instance. The wait will be worth while - it certainly was for me.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1381406520' post='2238551']
Hmm, at least you have a running dialogue going on - it's not like you paid in August and have heard nothing since. These custom builders are usually one man outfits, so things like supplier delays or ilness can have a big knock on effect. it's possible that your order is packaged up and ready to go on his workbench, but a couple of days off ill or hanging around waiting for parts means that he's now behind on the 12 other orders he has and he hasn't had time to nip down to the post office or check his email every day.

I had a similar delay experience with a US builder. The original 4-6 week delivery ended up being something like 13 weeks due to illness/sudden increase in orders/parts supply problems and the fact that the guy stil had a 'day job' to go to.

I think a little bit more patience is justified in this instance. The wait will be worth while - it certainly was for me.
[/quote]

True - But again, I'm doing all the chasing. At this stage, I feel I should be getting proper updates weekly.
I'm hoping they'll be worth it, but now - I don't even know.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1381407075' post='2238575']
I don't understand why these builders don't make a stock of items if they are a standard spec version with a clear demand? Our local chip shop look bemused when people come in at lunch time for chips, you would think after thirty years they would have a clue wouldn't you!
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1381404111' post='2238511']
Hey guys,
This is a slight continuation of the custom builders thread.

I've got some items I'm waiting on ($600+) - Ordered at the start of Aug (1st week), got an email back from the builder saying there would be about a 5 week wait.
No worries I can live with that. I've got some holidays and other things to deal with, so no rush at that point.
Fast forward a week after the 5 week mark - i email and ask if there is an ETA, not pushing; simply looking for an update. I'm told there was a hold up and they will be shipped this week or next (now at Sept 17th). Awesome - soon then.
Fast forward again to 2nd October - still not sign of tracking number, so I mail once again. Get told They have no shipped yet, but should be shipped in the next few days.
Now here we are at the 10th - 8 days after I was told it would be shipped in the next few days.

I've used this builder before, and was excellent then. But now I've waited for well over the proposed 5 week build time, and I'm just tired. Everytime i mail, I'm told that it will be shipped that week etc.

Am I within my grounds to ask for a refund? I think 10 weeks (almost) is insane. Even more annoying is the fact that I'll still need to wait for the units to arrive from the states!
[/quote]

I know who you are on about, and get to the back of the queue, I ordered mine before you :-D
Mine was ordered on 1st Aug with a 3-4 week promised timeframe.
He has been replying to emails :
2/9 - "Sorry, it will be shipped quite soon"
17/9 - "Sorry, shipping today"
3/10 - lots of apologies, an offer of a refund or shipping in the next week. I went for the latter.

Still waiting......

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1381412237' post='2238685']
I know who you are on about, and get to the back of the queue, I ordered mine before you :-D
3/10 - lots of apologies, an offer of a refund or shipping in the next week. I went for the latter.

Still waiting......
[/quote]

Hah you are correct!

I've had nothing since the 2nd.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1381412237' post='2238685']

Still waiting......
[/quote]

Hang on - thought yours was shipped already? :o

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1381410069' post='2238653']
When are they supposed to make items for stock when they can't fulfill actual orders on time? Just asking. ;)
[/quote]
They could make them instead of going to trade shows drumming up more trade for the items they already have too much demand for to get built in time and save the costs of a stand at the trade show! :lol:

Unless you really must have the item then I think it's refund time, if you must have it then you'll just have to wait it out.

I also agree it's totally unacceptable, if they're not meeting deadlines it's their responsibility to inform you, it shouldn't be your job to hassle.

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1381558305' post='2240593']
Unless you really must have the item then I think it's refund time, if you must have it then you'll just have to wait it out.

I also agree it's totally unacceptable, if they're not meeting deadlines it's their responsibility to inform you, it shouldn't be your job to hassle.

Steve
[/quote]

I've said I want them shipped by the 25th. If not, i want the refund.

Can no longer say i'd refer them. Pedals are good but this lead time/constantly being told they'll be shipped that week is mental.

All caused by them putting another unit into production... :(

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1382006847' post='2246577']
Well, after no response to my last email, I feel I have no choice but to cancel the order. I've asked for a full refund. It's especially annoying as I had bought a new power supply (one spot) and patch leads (OBBM) based on this promise of delivery. :-(
[/quote]

:( I've not had a reply back with my request of it being shipped before the 25th...