Why become a member? ×

JV Squier Precision - did any have 40mm necks?

Paul S

Question for the JV Squier fan club. I am toying with the idea of getting a JV Precision. They seem to hold their value well, increase a little, even. But primarily I would like to have one to play but this is where I think I am running into trouble as I only really can play basses that are lightweight and have thin necks.

I have read a lot of the for sale ads here and many seem to be lightweight - well, under 9lbs anyway. Do any of them have thinner necks? I see some at 42mm and shallow, but were any slightly narrower? And was the combination of narrow neck and lightweight body ever made?

Ta :)

hey they are the vintage correct [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1 and 5/8 of an inch which comes out at 41.27mm at the nut. In comparison the current US vintage reissue has a a nut width of 44.1mm and the american standard 41.3mm.
For JV's: they were aiming for vintage accurate so I doubt they made any thinner nut width. They are nice easy necks to play though, rolled fingerboard etc. (as typical with Japanese fender)

Most tend to be lightweight, mine's sub 9lb I think.

For narrower necks the early 90's Squier stuff from japan (silver series et al) has Precision necks with thinner nut width. Not as nice as a JV neck but thinner[/font][/color]

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1381340716' post='2237900']
Yes I agree with Luke the later Silver Series MIJ Precisions have very slender nut widths the JVs and SQ series had vintage accurate wider widths. These are very nice to play however.
[/quote] having just measured my 1992 jap squier p neck it looks bang on 40mm at the nut. I would say... from playing the Warwick (39mm) too much I'm more used to the thinner neck of the 1992 jap squier width... but after 5 min getting used to it the JV is by far the easier neck to play.

Thanks for that - I knew the answer would pop up straight away! I have just sold on a Silver Series Precision, as it happens, and it did have a 40mm wide neck. Nice as that was, I believe the JV series are an extra bit bit special, though? I think maybe I should try and have a go on one, see what I think of the neck, before spending out on one. Although Leeds maybe a bit far, Luke - you don't come down south at all, do you? :)

In terms of the components etc, are the early big Fender spaghetti logo ones any different to the later ones? I know they are a bit rarer.

Lots of info here - http://www.21frets.com
I've owned both - the early ones are made from Sen which is a form of Ash local to the maker I believe. It's a beautifully grained wood and looks great under a 'burst. Both Squier and Fender logo instruments had this wood initially. The machine heads also had different gearing screws I believe.

Honestly? No preference - the thing about JVs is that they were very consistent and this is what made them make Fender US up their game at the time. I have seen slight differences in weight or grain in the wood but I've never played a bad one and that includes one I bought that had been water damaged! Currently I have a couple of JV basses and it's made me fall in love with the Jazz bass again - the neck is just......well....right. It feels like a Jazz bass should - nice nut width without being too skinny. The Precisions have a wonderfully proportioned neck. If you play one you will know what I mean. I played mine alongside a pre CBS Precision and it had the same 'something' that makes a bass special.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1381328150' post='2237669']
Question for the JV Squier fan club. I am toying with the idea of getting a JV Precision. They seem to hold their value well, increase a little, even. But primarily I would like to have one to play but this is where I think I am running into trouble as I only really can play basses that are lightweight and have thin necks.

I have read a lot of the for sale ads here and many seem to be lightweight - well, under 9lbs anyway. Do any of them have thinner necks? I see some at 42mm and shallow, but were any slightly narrower? And was the combination of narrow neck and lightweight body ever made?

Ta :)
[/quote]

My JV P is light and has a skinny (front to back) neck. Nut i estimate at 42mm but could well be 41.3 due to 'eye tolerance'!..
Rolled edge fingerboard makes it feel skinnier also.

It's for sale in the classifieds - wihite/maple neck 57ri

Are you in London? Come and have a play, I'm in SW London :)

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1381521767' post='2240366']

It's for sale in the classifieds - wihite/maple neck 57ri

[/quote]

I know, Ted, and I have been reading your ad over and over again, poring over the pictures, for the last week ... :) I think it is the best looking JV around at the moment. However, after much deliberation I have decided on another one and am actually in the process of buying Luke's Fender Logo one - I decided that as it is part investment, part new bass, it made more sense to get the earliest one. I don't understand why yours is still here, though - it really is beautiful. Matching bathrobe, too.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1381568181' post='2240668']
I know, Ted, and I have been reading your ad over and over again, poring over the pictures, for the last week ... :) I think it is the best looking JV around at the moment. However, after much deliberation I have decided on another one and am actually in the process of buying Luke's Fender Logo one - I decided that as it is part investment, part new bass, it made more sense to get the earliest one. I don't understand why yours is still here, though - it really is beautiful. Matching bathrobe, too.
[/quote]

Let us know how you get on with the new bass! Don't forget to get a sunburst bathrobe :)

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1381659490' post='2241823']
Let us know how you get on with the new bass! Don't forget to get a sunburst bathrobe :)
[/quote]
That's easy, I'll just not wash my white one for a few weeks. Its already like that around the back... :unsure: