Why become a member? ×

The 1-5-6-Pattern

StageAhead

At first it was just a requested bassline, but finally I came up with a short lesson about a very famous and commonly used bass pattern.

Take A Look:

[url="http://four-strings-basslessons.blogspot.de/2013/10/weekly-basslines-122-burning-love-elvis.html"]http://four-strings-...love-elvis.html[/url]

Do you know more songs utilizing this bass pattern?

Great! Quiet a few additions to my list. Thanks to all contributors.

A few comments:

[b]Black is Black (Los Bravos) [/b]- Here the 1-5-6-Pattern is combined with another frequent pattern that I would call 1-5-b7-Pattern. Usually the 1-5-6-Pattern is mainly used for major chords. The correspondent pattern for minor chords would be the 1-5-b7-Pattern.

[b]Time Is Tight (Booker T. & The MG's)[/b] - Excactly. Duck Dunn it again ;-)

[b]Son Of My Father (Chicory Tip)[/b] - This is a pattern utilizing the sixth and fifth, but it's different because here you play those chord tones above the root note, while the pattern that I described has them below the root.

[b]Love Really Hurts without you (Billy Ocean)[/b] - Yes, again the 1-5-6-Pattern and it's also interesting how the rhythmic patterns do resemble amongst the different songs.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1381378715' post='2238222']
Isn't it also on Gaynor's version of 'Substitute', from about 3:35 on this: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSlztAQcU1o[/media]
[/quote]

Yes! It's also in the verses, just added by a low octave of the root at the end. As I said before I think if you take a closer look to seventies disco music you'll probably find hundreds of examples.

What are you doing awake at this ungodly hour? :) I"ve had to fix some software when other people wouldn't have been using it! Edit: You're in Germany - not quite so early there.

The first thing I do when I learn a riff is to adapt it to something slightly different. The obvious one here for me is:

1---6-5-6-5-6-5-1---6-5-6-5-6-5

(these are degrees of the scale, not fret numbers, if that's not clear from context, the 6s and 5s are lower than the root. The root is a crotchet, the 6s and 5s are quavers).

Here's a challenge: Has that exact riff above been used in songs? It certainly sounds familiar if I play it.

(Note: I must admit I haven't played all of your example transcriptions, but went straight for the general case - is it in your transcriptions? - Edit. I read them, and didn't see it there)

Edited by Annoying Twit

Well I'm indeed an early bird, but we're also an hour up front in Germany.

The pattern you described is very similar to the patterns I mentoined, but not exactly the same as you repeat the 6-5 part more often. But it's only a little variation and I'm sure there's also a song using right this.

Edit: I had a massive transcription fail when describing that pattern. What I was actually playing is:

1---6-5-6-1-6-5-1---6-5-6-1-6-5-

With 1--- being a crotchet, and 1- being a quaver (like everything else). This is sure to have been used before, the other one sounds awful.

You mention the 1-5-b7 pattern. Putting the two together gets the 'cowboy' bass line 1-5-6-5-1-5-6-5-1-5-6-5-b7-5-6-5

Edit: The main riff for De La Soul's "Say No Go" sounds similar-ish, but not the same. If I try to play it:

1-5h6-5-6-5-6-8 (with 8 being the octave and the 5 and six being above the root 1), then it sounds too 'major key'). But, if I play it as if it's from a minor pentatonic 1-4h5-4-5-4-5-4-5-8- that sounds even more wrong. I'm often able to work out basslines by ear, but am having trouble with this one. I thought it was a 1-5-6, but when I actually listen, it might not be.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08X5CVfL0bk[/media]

Edit: For pure 1-5-6, or at least 1-6-5, Rita Coolidge "(Your love has lifted me) HIgher and Higher"

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1381819251' post='2244042']
I've got something stuck in my head which appears to be 'the pattern'. It's an intro from a song from the first Blues Brothers movie, but I can't remember which one.
[/quote]
I cant turn you loose?

Edited by Hobbayne