Why become a member? ×

Squier Troy Sanders

Funky Dunky

Update: I managed to get a cardboard box and packaging (styrofoam popcorn and bubble wrap) for a mere £3.99 from a music shop in Paisley. While I was in the shop, I had a quick go of a Squier P-bass and found the neck far more comfortable (3mm makes a huge difference - who'd have thought?) so I'm now thinking I should send the Troy back and exchange it for a VMPJ. The Troy is a smashing bass, it's just not 100% right for me. I had a wee play there and it's lovely. It's not a nightmare at all. The silverburst is awesome, but I can't get to liking the shape. A setup would perhaps help the playability, and I'm a certain a lower gauge of string would make a sizeable difference.......but.....just.......arrgh......I dunno......it's still just not speaking to me.

If you purchased the bass via the Internet/phone, you have 7 working days from the point that it arrives with you to return the bass if it's not to your liking under the distance selling act and they are legally obliged to refund the money to you. Then you have the cash to oh and buy something you do want :)

More info here; http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations/

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1381272289' post='2236931']
Okay, so it came yesterday, bought from Andertons. It's a great sounding bass and I love the pickup configuration. Great range of tones. Looks awesome in the silverburst.

But here's the thing....

The neck isn't to my liking. It's a bit thicker than is comfortable for my gimpety hands. When I initially tried one out, I thought, ah, it'll be fine when I drop the action a bit. So I dropped the action just a tad, and it buzzes and flaps horribly. The action is lower, but by no means low. I also hate the stock strings - they're too 'zingy' and a gauge up from ideal. Sadly I'm a novice and don't rightly know what gauge these are, or what to replace them with. All I know is I want them a bit smoother and thinner than the ones that came with it.

Given the neck situation, I've half a mind to exchange it. But here's the thing......took the dog a walk, and when I came back in, my Mrs cheerfully announced that she'd given the packaging to her auntie, who very kindly took it to the fooking council tip for disposal. Now, while Andertons have a 30 day exchange policy, they do not accept returns unless they are in the manufacturer's original packaging. So I'm up the bloody creek, sans paddle.

My questions are thus:

Given my ridiculously vague description of the strings, can anyone recommend a different type of string (smoother - would it be flatwounds?) to try? And would a pro set-up help in any way to lower the action but do so without the buzzy flappiness?

Finally, does anyone have a Squier bass box kicking about? Lol

Look before you leap. Know a bass inside out before you buy it, especially if buying online. These are the painful lessons I have learned in the last 24 hours. That, and tell your missus that, under pain of death, she must NOT throw out the fecking box your bass came in.

I feel like a bloody fool.
[/quote]

Your Troy Sanders is sold with[font=open_sansregular, sans-serif][color=#f1f1f1] [/color][/font][font=open_sansregular, sans-serif]Fender 7250 (045-105) strings. The tension on those strings, from personal experience, can make them feel a bit stiff and not as easy to play as other strings. I recommend something like ernie ball slinkys, or even rotosound swing bass for less tension and better playability. Also learn to set up your own bass. It took me 20 years before I touched the truss on any of my basses and my action was always like a bow and arrow. I learned from youtube that setting up a bass isn't rocket science. Once I learned to set them up properly my playing improved, as all of a sudden they were much easier to play.[/font][font=open_sansregular, sans-serif]The point I'm making, is that it's not the neck that you don't like, it's the strings and the setup. Once you get them sorted the bass will sound and play a lot better.[/font]

[font=open_sansregular, sans-serif]Oh and by the way, flatwounds are for sissys :)[/font]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1382016587' post='2246720'] [font=open_sansregular, sans-serif]Oh and by the way, flatwounds are for sissys :)[/font] [/quote] Unless they're Steve Harris Sig Roto cables! ;)

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='willyf87' timestamp='1381482701' post='2239607']
Maybe a local basschatter could help you out
[/quote]

If you are needing a set up on the new one when it arrives give me a shout. I'd be happy to have a look at it and set it up for you on the cheap. By no means a pro tech but I set up all my own basses plus a fair few of my friends basses and guitars and I am always happy to help a fellow basschatter.