Why become a member? ×

Drummer invades bass forum!

sebpalmer

Hi

I'm new to the forum.

Although primarily a drummer, I write and record songs in my home studio, and often play the bass parts myself. My two basses are a Squier Fender Jazz and a 1/2 sized acoustic upright bass.

Leaving aside my playing abilities on these instruments, the reason I joined is because Im getting increasingly frustrated with what i can achieve using my double bass. It has a label inside saying Antoni (made in China), and only cost me £150, with a green soft-case gig-bag.

I looked on Amazon and eBay, and saw the same sort of bass for anything from £479.99 (rrp £699.99) new, on Amazon, to a sale on eBay of a fairly knackered sounding one for £60 (also with gig bag, and even a bow, which my £150 purchase didn't include... harumph!).

I record it using two mics, usually a C-1000 pointed at the fingerboard, and an AT4033a pointed at the bridge/f-hole area. I don't have any kind of pick up on it.

There are a number of things I'd like to find out:

1) best mic placements to improve the sound I'm currently able to capture.

2) recommendations for affordable pick-ups (piezos on the bridge I'm assuming?).

3) thoughts on whether I ought to just get a better bass...

If I were to go the third route, I'd want to go for a 3/4 size I think. It'd take me a bit of time to save the lolly required. I reckon my budget would probably be about a grand all in, inc. any costs like pick-up and set-up.

Anyhoo... there you have it. I hope you guys might have some pearls of wisdom for me.
Cheers

Seb

You need to get over to Gear and the EUB And Double Basses forum... where I fear to tread. ;)

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
There is at least one drummer already here, some old bloke... can't remember his name atm... ;)

:crigon_04:

Edited by discreet

Hi Seb,

Welcome to the forum :)

As already pointed out, the DB and EUB section of the forum is an ideal place to look,
or post the question....

Antoni are generally pretty good basses to start with, I think
I'd also say you had a bit of a bargain there

I was searching for a DB recently, and found none come up in my area
When I saw an Antoni on ebay and suchlike, it generally went to £400 +
So if I'd seen yours - I'd have bought it myself

To get a better DB, you're looking at stepping into the next price bracket I'd say
So keep your eyes peeled for further bargains....

I think you'll find K&K do some nice pickups, which aren't mental money....

Good luck in your research :)

Marc

[quote name='sebpalmer' timestamp='1381235310' post='2236115']...I'm new to the forum.

Although primarily a drummer...[/quote]

Good afternoon, Seb...

Welcome to Basschat; I'm sure you'll find answers in the appropriate sections dedicated to DB. You'll get good advice (maybe more than you've bargained for..!); post our questions there and spark off a nice long thread from which to extract guidance. They're all good folks over there on the 'dark side'. No, I can't help you, I'm afraid, but it's a fascinating read, made very interesting when one knows nothing of the technical terms, which is my case.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381235469' post='2236121']...There is at least one drummer already here, some old bloke...[/quote]

...Old, certainly, but he's an excellent chap, highly intelligent and erudite on many fascinating subjects. Well worth knowing. He would be perfect, if it wasn't for his confounded modesty. His name..? Now [i]that [/i]escapes me. Must be my old age... :mellow:

Hey folksh, thanks for the friendly welcome.

Glad to see there other 'skin-spankers' infiltrating... I ought to get 'Dyno' Rod Norman on here (maybe he already is?): drummer and plumber extraordinaire, and also a very fine bassist.

Right, I'll go post my questions in the DB/EUB zones, and see what kind of response I get.

And thanks to Marc for the pointer to K&K gear, I'll check 'em out. Up till now I've mostly heard about the rather pricey 'Realist', and the even more expensive Accusound gear.

Cheers

Seb