Why become a member? ×

Small Valve Amp (pre) Recommendations Please.

ambient

I've sold off a few of my basses recently, I had way too many !

Anyway, 'cos of that I have a reasonable amount of money to spend on a new amp. It's gonna be used with my new Acme 2x10 cab that I just bought from on here.

It's gotta be small, and preferably have a valve pre section.

Two channels would be nice, electric bass and EUB.

I'm guessing 500 watts minimum.

Tonally very clean and versatile, I'm really not interested in distortion or overdrive.

I played through someone's Bergantino powered cab a while ago, he was using this little tiny valve preamp with it. That's the sort of sound that I'm looking for. The valve was there in the sound, adding a bit of sparkle to it, without over colouring it.

I've tried the GB Shuttle 3 and 6 and hated them, they both reminded me of wasps in bottles for some reason :D.

The Markbass TTE500 or TTE800 look interesting, but are maybe too big.

Are there any other contenders ?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1380990406' post='2233182']

Yeah, I've been reading about the Streamline today, looks interesting.
[/quote]

I'd advise trying before buying, as it's not for everyone. If you want the mids to come through, you'll need to cut the bass and treble a bit more than with other more 'balanced' amps. Some describe the sound as 'deep and full' and others call it 'boomy and mushy' so you'd really need to hear it for yourself to decide.

Another option is the Orange terror bass; a lot of people seem to like these. Personally, I really disliked that when I played through it. Again, very subjective.

Edited by Roland Rock

I have recently bought a streamliner and love it. Would say it cuts through perfectly well and no boom, if you cut the bass eq. Just a twiddle of the knob. I would say it has come through as warm and punchy, especially with my focus cab. It is super versatile too. Thursday I had a clean but warm sound. The previous week I had a driven warm sound. Easy to eq this beasty.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1380993466' post='2233224']
I have recently bought a streamliner and love it. Would say it cuts through perfectly well and no boom, if you cut the bass eq. Just a twiddle of the knob. I would say it has come through as warm and punchy ....... It is super versatile too.
[/quote]
This pretty much sums up my experience with the Streamliner

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1380994370' post='2233243']
This pretty much sums up my experience with the Streamliner
[/quote]

Good to hear. There must be a few people out there who have maybe tried this head with the wrong cab. I had mush when I used the wrong cab, turned to gold with the right one.

Anyway, this is a link to my bands soundcloud page for work in progress. We upload recordings from rehearsal so we can work on things....this is a song called Last of the Great Plate Cleaners (written by singer/guitarist).

[url="https://soundcloud.com/guitarmaggedon/last-of-the-great-plate"]https://soundcloud.com/guitarmaggedon/last-of-the-great-plate[/url]