Why become a member? ×

Think i might want a 5

thisnameistaken

Haven't gone above 4 strings for about... ten years, but I'm considering buying a 5. Any ideas?

I think I'd like a MM pup and a P pup too - does anyone make a bass with that config?

Nothing exotic-looking, something traditional preferably, pickguard maybe.

And I'd rather not pay over £700.

Am I basically stuck with finding a used G&L L2500? I love the sounds they've got but I find they don't look too inspiring. Bit "flat". Anything else I could look at?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='221880' date='Jun 19 2008, 02:03 AM']I think I'd like a MM pup and a P pup too - does anyone make a bass with that config?[/quote]

Fender 5 string P USA Deluxe. You can find one second hand for around that money.

Sandberg have the MM/P pickup configuration but the MM pickup is not in the MM position. However as a special order I'm sure they'd rout it in the correct place without too much fuss. I've been looking for an MM/P 5 myself and I don't know of any maker who makes MM/P basses with the MM in the stingray location, usually it seems to be put in the jazz coil position. Odd to say the least.

How about bagging a used MIJ P bass and having a friendly luthier install an MM pickup for you? You could also bag a Stingray 5 and have a P-bass pickup installed but its probably going to be harder to get a P-bass pickup for a 5 string.

The Sandbergs look nice, doubt they show up on the used market very often though. I can't pay a grand for a bass.

Getting a MM pup added to a Jap Fender sounds like a good idea and I hadn't thought of it, but again I'm wary of buying a new Fender and having it go completely to **** within six months like the last two did, so I'd probably want a used one just for the reassurance that someone else has already broken it in.

Looks like I'm going to be scouring music shops and the web for some time...

[quote name='chris_b' post='222161' date='Jun 19 2008, 02:08 PM']Check out a Lakland. I know it's a MM/J config but the tone will be as good as you can get. You should be able to find a good used one for less than £600.[/quote]

+1

(and you'll love the 35" scale for a tighter sounding :)