Why become a member? ×

Mansons for a Nitro Refinish

Cairobill

I need a refinish job on a bass that will involve a strip (ooer). However, I've got into nitro finishes in a big way recently and want to find someone who can do a good nitro finish.

Anyone ever had any work done at Mansons in Exeter?

I'm based in London...

Nick

[quote name='Cairobill' post='221218' date='Jun 18 2008, 10:47 AM']I need a refinish job on a bass that will involve a strip (ooer). However, I've got into nitro finishes in a big way recently and want to find someone who can do a good nitro finish.

Anyone ever had any work done at Mansons in Exeter?

I'm based in London...

Nick[/quote]

Can't be specific on finishes but this is my local shop and I have had nothing but excellent experiences with them.

elom

Hugh Manson has been around building guitars as far as I can remember since back in the early eighties.
I first met him around 1985 and his guitars are some of the finest I,ve ever seen.
He is the man behind all those wonderfully technical guitars used by Matt Bellamy from Muse.
I,d be very suprised if you were not completely happy with anything done by him.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='wizbat' post='222871' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:10 PM']Hugh Manson has been around building guitars as far as I can remember since back in the early eighties.
I first met him around 1985 and his guitars are some of the finest I,ve ever seen.
He is the man behind all those wonderfully technical guitars used by Matt Bellamy from Muse.
I,d be very suprised if you were not completely happy with anything done by him.
Hope this helps.[/quote]

I can also vouch for Hugh's reputation as one of the best luthiers in the country. Plus, he's a really nice bloke.

[quote name='andyonbass' post='222874' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:11 PM']Dunno if they do Nitro finishes, but [url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/sprayshop.htm"]Sims Custom Shop[/url] would be closer for you, based in Ashford[/quote]

Can't get better! If you want the best there ain't any contest.

Note that most of the guitar and bass builders use SimS for re-finishing now including some that say they do everything in-house!

Ciao

Ian

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='223670' date='Jun 21 2008, 04:29 PM']What the hell does 'Nitro' look like?[/quote]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='223671' date='Jun 21 2008, 04:33 PM']Thank god someone said it.[/quote]

Short answer... It usually isn't as shiny and thick as other lacquer finishes, it can almost have a matt look.