Why become a member? ×

Advice on an acoustic...

LukeFRC

Hey!

so I'm trying to sell elsewhere an electric guitar I've got. *
Been offered a MIK squier tele with new pup, a SD pickup booster pedal and a Yamaha APX8C acoustic. If I did trade I would probably keep them for a wee while then try and sell them on... but I know nothing about the Yamaha acoustic and google isn't being that helpful.... what's it like

* I did try sell it on here earlier this year, little interest. And untill I pay my subs to basschat it's not fair to say what it is.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1380269811' post='2222967']
many people really like the Yamaha APX acoustics.
I am not one of them

They are quite thinline, and sound a bit thin unplugged, stick it in an amp and the preamp gives you more lovely fatter tones.
But unplugged they are a bit thin, wimpy and no bottom end at all.
YMMV.
[/quote]

So this is somewhat true, unplugged they are a bit thin sounding and boxy, but the same is true of most small bodied, shallow/thin acoustics.

I've got an old APX4a, and it's great for what it is, which is a cheap electro acoustic - it's tough, sounds OK unplugged and pretty good plugged in.

If unplugged acoustic sounds are a priority, I'd personally go for one of the bigger dreadnoughts (loads of good options, but the solid top yamaha ones are good value), but if you want something for gigging (or just noodling on the sofa), the smaller bodied APX series will probably be more comfortable and practical.

if you do make the trade then i might be interested in the tele. but i have to agree that the apx acoustics can sound a bit thin, i looked at a new apx4 many years ago and ended up going for a yamaha dw105c instead as it had a bigger richer unplugged tone (cutaway dreadnaught acoustic.)

Matt

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1380286617' post='2223291']
The APX series are good stage guitars, and the 8 should be one of the better models. As a bedroom guitar it would be OK, but un-amplified they can struggle a little with a crowd.

Shame about the SG (I can mention it) and it's one I'd love to own, but have neither need nor cash for such an instrument right now.
[/quote]

Well I just paid my dues so I guess I can say now.... yep it's a lovely japanese Yamaha SG.

I'm thinking that more stuff isn't the way to go, well guitar stuff anyway, two guitars sat not being played and needing to be sold is worse than one.... I've played the lower end of the APX range and wasn't blown away - I think I may stick the SG up on here again, see if anyone's interested and see what happens

FUnny thing I found when looking for an electro acoustic a few years back, even 2 of the same model can sound different when unplugged.
I went round everywhere in Glasgow trying different ones & ended up with a rather nice Freshman.

My take on the APX (and a lot of other electro acoustic guitars) is that it depends what you want. If you want a guitar that you can practice with acoustic and then plug in for a gig (put through a pedal board etc) the the APX is fine, depends on the price and there might be better out there (I have a Tanglewood 12 string that does that and can be played acoustically at half the price). That probably gives you the clue as to why I don't particularly like them, I want a decent acoustic instrument where the pickups are an add on rather than essential. There is also the issue that not all pick ups ar created equal and so your nice acoustic sound may be a mess by the time the piezo has done it's work.

As I said it's horses for courses but I ended up playing a lot of instruments when looking for an electro.

Steve