Why become a member? ×

Getting 'The Sound' on a P bass

gjones

[size=4]A friend recently donated a dodgy old Squier Precision body. I've fitted it with a nice old P bass neck I have and a Mighty Mite split pickup from the first bass I ever bought (preloved) back in the early eighties.[/size]
[size=4]I've never been too keen on Precision basses because I could never get that Pino Pallidino, James Jamerson, [color=#444444][font=arial, sans-serif]Donald "Duck"Dunn sound I was looking for when playing live. But by experimenting with my new Frankenstein P bass I think I've figured it out. [/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#444444][font=arial, sans-serif]Because Precisions are pretty bassy at the best of times, which I feel can make them them sound indistinct when playing live, I tried turning the bass knob (on my Ashdown Mibass) down to zero and turning the tone control on the bass off completely. Guess what? It nails the sound I'm looking for down to a tee.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#444444][font=arial, sans-serif]Is this the secret to a great P bass sound? Or do you know something that I don't? [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#444444][font=arial, sans-serif]By the way this is the sound I'm talking about but using roundwounds not flats [/font][/color][/size][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoVfamlcbYo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoVfamlcbYo[/url]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1379153072' post='2209151']
Weren't most of those guys using flats? That would make a contribution to their " P sound".
[/quote]

Yeah, I`ve found replicating that sound is just keep a set of rounds on for a long time, they soon get pretty near it (I do this as I don`t like the feel of flats, but like the sound of them).

Scott's got a medical condition (Focal Dystonia) and wears them for that reason. French player Etienne M'bapeé wears them too because he's got super acidic sweat.

Back OT, Jamerson never changed his strings and either used an Ampeg or went straight to the desk. DOn't know about tone shaping on the desk, but those old B15s are "thumptastic"!