Why become a member? ×

Passive bass wiring problems. Need help please!

Hey guys

Basically, I've just stripped the active electronics out of my bass and replaced the pick ups with passive Seymour Duncan SSB-5 soap bars.

Problem is, the recommended wiring is essentially jazz bass wiring which is 2 volume and 1 tone but my bass has holes for 4 potentioments and I don't want to leave one of the holes opened.
I don't want to go fitting an active pre amp again either.

I was thinking of adding a 3 way switch and going Les Paul style but I'm not sure on it. Another option I thought of was to run each pick up to their own volume then off to a blend pot then a tone pot. Not sure on what to do though.
Can anyone help please?

Thanks

I'd give each pickup it's own volume and tone knob. That would seem to be the most versatile choice that gets you your four pots.

Edit: Am I right in thinking those pickups can be coil tapped? If they can I'd use push pull pots for the tone knobs and use them for tapping the coils. I did this in my Dean Cadillac (sorry it's not a bass) and it's the best, most versatile/useful, mod I've ever done.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1378575171' post='2202049']
Kill switch? Handy if you want it to be quiet but you don't want to mess up your volume settings if you've got 'em set.
[/quote]

Already got a killswitch fitted from when I had the active electronics to stop battery drain and popping when removing the cable etc. but cheers for the suggestion anyway :)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1378566913' post='2201929']
Or blank off the hole with a plug of some kind. Maplin do black plastic blanking plugs in various diameters.
[/quote]

Nooooo god no thanks no. It would look so wrong and the bass is my cherished pride and joy haha

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1378565342' post='2201900']
I reckon as above. Or a rotary switch engaging different value capacitors for the tone pot.
[/quote]

Hmm, interesting, that could be something I'll look in to. Where would I be able to get one of these from?

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1378565082' post='2201893']
I'd give each pickup it's own volume and tone knob. That would seem to be the most versatile choice that gets you your four pots.

Edit: Am I right in thinking those pickups can be coil tapped? If they can I'd use push pull pots for the tone knobs and use them for tapping the coils. I did this in my Dean Cadillac (sorry it's not a bass) and it's the best, most versatile/useful, mod I've ever done.
[/quote]

To be honest pal, i don't think they are. Doesn't say anything about them being coil tappable on the website else I would consider that as it would give me that Jazz bass tone when wanted/needed. Most likely am going to just end up going for a volume and tone on each pick up providing it'll work like that properly. Again, thanks for the suggestion though.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1378563922' post='2201882']
I did the former on my Ibanez SR800. It has a Les Paul pickup selector switch, two volumes, one tone
[/quote]

I'm seriously considering this option. I'm not sure it would look right on my bass though and i'm weird with it, I like things to look right. It is a damn good suggestion though and thank you

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1378596960' post='2202352']

Hmm, interesting, that could be something I'll look in to. Where would I be able to get one of these from?

[/quote]

Well, you can buy them, or this picture shows you how to easily make one (cheaper):

You just need one of these, [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-pole-6-position-rotary-switch-pickup-switching-and-varitone-/151103879862?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item232e7e3ab6"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-pole-6-position-rotary-switch-pickup-switching-and-varitone-/151103879862?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item232e7e3ab6[/url] and 6 (5 if you decide for a no capacitor option) different value capacitors. Or even, im sure someone on here could knock one up for you for a very decent price.

Thanks Tommo and Delbert.

The varitone option does seem like a damn good one. I'm seriously thinking of making one to try out.

Just in case I did go for the boring option and do 2 volume and 2 tone, would it be the same wiring method as if you're doing 2 separate p basses or how would I have to wire it to stop buzzing ( I believe these are him cancelling pick ups but just in case) and would I lose any volume or tone if it was done 2v2t way?

Cheers

as you have to wire the volumes together, its easiest to follow the les paul wiring diagram, as that has VVTT.

To stop buzzing, you just need to ensure that everything is grounded, and shield paint/copper tape for the cavity helps.

With regards to loss of volume and tone. When you have both pickup volumes full, altering the tone pot for one of the pickups will affect both pickups, ie, will remove treble from your overall sound, not the specific pickup.

Heres a wiring diagram for you. Ignore the switch, and wire the two volume output lugs to eachother, then one wire from it to the jack.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, i'm posting this back up because i'm stuck in a rut now.

I followed the Les Paul diagram but now when you turn one volume, it turns down the whole bass.
I can't turn one pick up down and leave the other one up which is annoying me.

Is there any way around this or should I just give up and go for a jazz bass style wiring with one no-load pot? Right now, i'm thinking this may be the best option. The bass sounds great as it is and it's pretty much the tone I've wanted to always get from it but the fact the controls don't work as they're supposed to annoys me.

Curse being a tone chaser!