Why become a member? ×

Very special and unique custom warwick Thumb
£1800

roonjuice

Hey guys,
Well.....
Here we have my very custom thumb. "the Beetle" as the GF christened it!!
fully appointed thumb
orange and red side Led's
thru neck
Bubinga, nice thick old slab of wenge fb (To accomodate the Leds),
MEC pups with the pull/push pots (active passive and mid)
Gotoh machine heads
Growl and sustain like an immortal tiger!!!!!

I have had this bass years (I believe it's an early nineties)
I contacted Warwick about this piece and they said it was created for a NAMM show hence the blank inlay at the 24th fret, the idea to get your name (or whatever) cut into it.
I just never got round to it
I wil see if i can dig out the old email or contact warwick again for further details
The serial number has been obsured by the thick paint or is not present as far as i can tell!!!!!

Overall the bass is in excellent condition, very very little marking or buckle rash (although not pristine) And the blurring and smudging is just my handling marks while photographing)
There is discoloration along the top of the neck where the fret dots are, but this is entirely cosmetic and perfectly smooth
Being no photographer I actually found this bass really hard to photo!!! flash bounces right of it! the leds are also hard to photo as it's black with lights!!

I really REALLY wish this did not have to go but I have made a promise to a loved one I mean to keep. And my car is a money pit at the moment............
it has a tkl hard case and it still has the original "Monkey business" Romford music store sticker on the headstock.

I will contact warwick again and take any more photos on request:)
r

Edited by roonjuice

2 push pulls? Pass, unless i'm having a dense moment that is a first for me on a Thumb, apart from a ltd i remember that had push pull dual/single coil on the bass/treble pot?

Edited by Kev

If the electronics are standard (not saying that all early 90's would be especially on a NAMM/custom model), it should be 2 band EQ with a vol and pan pot. I've never encountered a Jazz style 2 pup system on a Warwick that would have TWO push pulls (the Dolphin among others has two but one is active/passive and the other is for a coil tap on the rear double/triple coil pup). Do both pots do something or is it a case of someone fitting a push/pull pot because they had nothing else available or they had taken the preamp/pots from another bass?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1378407716' post='2199937']
If the electronics are standard (not saying that all early 90's would be especially on a NAMM/custom model), it should be 2 band EQ with a vol and pan pot. I've never encountered a Jazz style 2 pup system on a Warwick that would have TWO push pulls (the Dolphin among others has two but one is active/passive and the other is for a coil tap on the rear double/triple coil pup). Do both pots do something or is it a case of someone fitting a push/pull pot because they had nothing else available or they had taken the preamp/pots from another bass?
[/quote]

That's a better way of putting it ;)

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1378408642' post='2199953']
That looks very familiar to me...I've seen it advertised before but before 2007.
[/quote]

I think the strap button position would put it a fair bit earlier (is it a just a nut I as well?), but it's always difficult with painted Warwicks!

Anyway, lovely bass, good luck with the sale :)

Edited by Kev

Dear Roon,

I guess your Bass is between 1986 to 1989 and by HighPolish Basses

the Serial Number on the top edge of the Headstock and we laquered

it some times over... I just can appologize.. the Specs are the same

as for the regular Warwick Thumbs...

I hope this information is helping you

with best regards

with best regards

Warwick GmbH & Co Music Equipment KG

H.P.Wilfer 06.09.2013, 16:27

President

Framus & Warwick / Markneukirchen / Germany

Second Gitarre&Bass and Warwick Bass Camp is from 02 Sept. to 06 September 2013

and our OPEN DAY 2013 will be hold on the 07 September from 09:00 am to 19:00 pm

Please be invited to be with us on our open Day !

"the first Carbon -Neutral Company in the Music Industry"

Family Owned - Solar Powered - Sustainably Manufactured in a Green Environment

"More desire for used Warwicks means more desire for new Warwicks"

The MEC pickups would almost certainly make it a 1990 or newer... Is the control plate on the back clipped on or screwed on? Screwed on would indicate it being pre 1991 or so I believe. Battery compartment?

Edited by Kev

Sadly Warwick are hopeless in dating their own older basses, as there reply would indicate :)

The compartments mean it is a nineties or later bass, is the preamp 9v or 18v? I suspect 9v, and looking at the neck, i would say it was made sometime between 1992 and 1997.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1378672350' post='2203160']
Sadly Warwick are hopeless in dating their own older basses, as there reply would indicate :)

The compartments mean it is a nineties or later bass, is the preamp 9v or 18v? I suspect 9v, and looking at the neck, i would say it was made sometime between 1992 and 1997.
[/quote] they moved the serial in 92 didn't they? Roon, does it look like its been painted over on the end of the headstock or the back in between the tuners?

the paint is too thick to make out either way, and is 9v pre
luke, if you are in leeds i could bring it over for you to have a look?
It does have the "monkey business" sticker on the head stock with a phone number pre "1" in the area dial code, e.g 0904 instead of 01904?
Don't know if thats really relevant tho!

[quote name='roonjuice' timestamp='1378675099' post='2203201']
the paint is too thick to make out either way, and is 9v pre
luke, if you are in leeds i could bring it over for you to have a look?
It does have the "monkey business" sticker on the head stock with a phone number pre "1" in the area dial code, e.g 0904 instead of 01904?
Don't know if thats really relevant tho!
[/quote] would I be able to find a non visible serial? Nope. Would it help your sale? Prob not, Would I like to have a play.... Yep :-)

[quote name='roonjuice' timestamp='1378675379' post='2203208']
A quick hunt on Wikipedia (the well known fountain of all knowledge) states that phONE day where we got the 1 in the area code was 1995, so i'm would guess it is defo pre 95 at least!!!
[/quote]

I love trying to date basses :) I'm going to plump for the earlier date of my estimation, 1992.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1378758199' post='2204421']

I love trying to date basses :) I'm going to plump for the earlier date of my estimation, 1992.
[/quote] moved factory mid 1992 init, lots of changes... You going to go early or late 1992 ? :D. ....Roon don't mind us, it s all bumps!