Why become a member? ×

My Orange Terror bass died! - Help

Raslee

Typically at a packed gig my OTB 500W head dies :( Why does this never happen in rehearsals but only at the great gigs?

Light went out, no sound...i thought fuse but that was ok. Ironically there was no foldback over my side of the stage due to issues with the foldback set up. I had to stand right up to the PA to hear my bass coming through , pfft! nightmare with a bloody trumpet parping away in my ear.

Anyhow, it turns out a capacitor had broken off the PSU part of the amp, not the big power mama's but the next size down, 2200uF 63V, jobbies.

So i thought hmmm, easy job, and off to Maplins i went. Soldered a new capacitor and still nothing. No lights or sound. Checked all fuses, no issues. Got 240Vs coming in from my multimeter & 18Vdc at the amp bit, but no l.e.d.s on the board are on. Tried capacitor the other way around, still no joy. Did mantras etc...no luck

So what are my options? I'm out of warranty from Orange & Mansons i guess, particularly as there was a capacitor or similar came loose 10 months before this issue,it was by the mains input this time. Our keyboard player fixed that issue quickly. I'm kicking myself now as i should have got it repaired under warranty then but the urgency was i needed my amp asap as i was committed to a lot of function gigs at that time and had no spare. oh, and i changed the tubes too.

I'm wondering if i should contact Orange and see if they'll repair and i'll have to pay up??? Any other ideas welcome? I have an ONC in electronics although that was 20years ago so have forgotten a lot being a social worker these days :lol: ....any help or ideas welcome though. I love my Orange...hope its not time to bury it.

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1378053206' post='2195159']
Tried capacitor the other way around, still no joy.
[/quote]

Oops, electrolytic capacitors are polarised. Which means one of these times you had it the wrong way round. You put 'em in the wrong way and they might bulge, split or even pop.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-RZ5RTAdSg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-RZ5RTAdSg[/url]

Be careful!

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1378139374' post='2196183']

If the capacitor is not physically secured either with a mounting bracket or glue, constant vibration fatigues the legs and they snap.
[/quote]
Exactly this, twice as well :( I'm on my hols right now but will contact Orange on my return. Thanks guys :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One OTB bass back in my hands from Orange and better than ever. Orange have done me proud beyond expectation, fixed my out of warranty OTB with new boards etc (basically a new amp), can't believe how good that customer service is - top service and I've not been charged anything either so far. Big massive thumbs up to Orange - gotta love happy endings :)

That sounds hopeful. Mine died on me last week again. Seems to be the same intermittent fault, only this time I could hear a tick, tick, tick sound. I took it back to PMT on Saturday and they're going to send it back to Orange on Monday. Let's hope they can replicate the fault this time round.

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1380442394' post='2225158']
One OTB bass back in my hands from Orange and better than ever. Orange have done me proud beyond expectation, fixed my out of warranty OTB with new boards etc (basically a new amp), can't believe how good that customer service is - top service and I've not been charged anything either so far. Big massive thumbs up to Orange - gotta love happy endings :)
[/quote]

Nice one. Always good to hear a positive outcome like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news from me too. My amp went back to Orange and, despite it being way out of guarantee (I bought it within a few months of them coming out), Orange didn't repair it, they just sent me a brand new one!

Top marks for Orange's customer service. I think I'll be sticking with Orange for the rest of my playing career.