Why become a member? ×

Pick or fingers

DavidRees

like it says in the title really. I am playing bass guitar again after a great many years and am currently doing a bit of both before I get closer to deciding what music I'm going to play and how. Fingers seem the preferred default option but then I think about the magic created by Paul M and Carol K and the pick has its attractions ...any comments/views out there...

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1378040594' post='2194956']
There was a thread recently along similar lines...
[/quote]
Aye, here it be
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215151-pick-vs-fingers-thread-number-40008/page__hl__plectrum"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215151-pick-vs-fingers-thread-number-40008/page__hl__plectrum[/url]

I play in a covers band nowadays because (I'm a chicken in his late forties called "Colin") a bit older, and use a pick on some tunes, because the guy on the original recording did, and that's what makes it sound "right" (imagine playing most Jam tunes without one?) if I were, as I was years ago, in an original material band, & so it was my choice I [u]NEVER[/u] did, and was a bit "sniffy" about the whole thing. these days some times I like the really aggressive attack of a Pick. ( I just feel a bit "dirty" when I use a pick despite its occasionally pleasing sound ) also, I have noticed a few extra "bobbing heads" with the pick bass note/ bass drum combination at gigs. so what I'm really saying is I haven't a clue what I think!! :D

I personally don't think it makes any difference, I mean, I know there IS a difference but, in the real world I don't feel it's that great an importance? What ever is best for the player. I've never felt that a certain song needs a pick over fingers, I just play the song! Think about it, when was the last time you played a track and someone came up to and said "hey man, you really ought to be using a pick on that track".

I use fingers, but horses for courses and all that noise!

Dan