Why become a member? ×

The Resurrection of a Satellite P-Bass

Freddy Le Cragg

Couldn't think of anything original fro my first post proper so I though this would do.
I saw this listed on a local selling group on Facebook and had to rescue her. It is a Satellite Precision copy from god knows when but I am guessing a "lawsuit" (sorry) seventies thing. The body looks to be 4 or 5 pieces and was once a redburst colour. The checking and patina look really sweet. The bridge has a Lego brick in lieu of saddle screws and the electrics need a bit of love. Worst of all, a rather savage looking crack has rent the stock asunder.

Operation SALVAGE has commenced, brought to you by the twin fun of No Nails wood glue and G-Clamps.

Pics

The pic from the seller

THE CRACK! OOOOOOOOH!

Clamp

MORE SOON

Much obliged.

A few more pics

The Lego bridge! Surprisingly effective as a solution.

Guts. It has 500k pots but the wiring is shot. Time to get the multi-meter out, kids.

No ID on the pup. The body looks like it has had a hard life. I will not be doing any cosmetic work on this. Just fix the leccys and the neck and it will be rocked.

I plan on gigging this a.s.a.p.

More posts to come.

And thanks for the welcome. I must admit that the site name containing both "bass" and " .co.uk" were a massive draw.

Wanna buy a defretted Squier VM P Bass neck that needs attention? http://basschat.co.uk/topic/216044-refretting-a-defretted-neck-any-point-hard/page__fromsearch__1

It would be cheap. And it has Wilkinson tuners on it that very nearly mask the burn mark!

Edited by Paul S

Satellites were known for warping necks, and are basically firewood, but at the price paid, no real damage done to the wallet.

In my limited knowledge, they were built by Kawai Teisco, who built loads of nasty cheap basses for others who put their own names on the headstock. I had a neck thru Satellite P Bass, and would you believe it, that had a warped neck too. They were 80's i think

The neck thru P ( exactly the same as my ex ) on ebay in the link below has been on sale there for ages now, as the seller thinks cos its old, some mug is gonna pay his outrageous price. The fact that its been on there for months means that folk may not be the suckers the seller thinks they are

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Satellite-original-fretless-bass-guitar-very-rare-and-with-hardcase-/290829725240?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43b6cd6e38"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43b6cd6e38[/url]

Edited by fleabag

Freddy - hows about junking the neck, keeping the body, and see if you can a find a cheap non Satellite P neck on Evilbay or perhaps on here?

I've also got a bag of pots you could use, free gratis. I only live a few miles from you, too

Edited by fleabag

The neck will be going in the skip. I will stick it in a closet until I come across a dirt cheap neck. However I have (against all reason) got another cheapo P-bass copy for thirty quid. It has provenence dating back to 1979 but has no ID marks on it at all. But it plays and sounds rather good.

With a bit of a clean up and a change of strings (and peeling the sticker off it....) it sounds very punchy and the neck, whilst chunky, is nice and smooth.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1378147715' post='2196313']
Ha ha love the Gibson transfer!!
[/quote]

Yes! What an absolutely great idea. Better than Fecker Jizz and all the other really amusing headstocks decals you see.

Nice one there.. Did a bit of a frankenbass P using a knackered old sattelite body myself and its the one I reach for 9 times out of 10 over much more expensive and esteemed basses.
I whacked a Mighty Mite neck, Wilkinson tuners, Kent Armstrong pickups, schaller strap locks and a 3 ply tortoize shell pickguard on it. Probably cost me more than its worth but its a top bass and I learnt a lot doing it.
Well done you.