Why become a member? ×

bidding question

steve-bbb

not being an ebay expert just been lucky enough in the past to catch a couple of really good bargains on there

was going to put a bid on this item number 200955632230

o***n (102) making earlier bids but now o***n(0) bidding in the last hour - are these disguised usernames randomly generated and have no repation to the actual username or am i just a miserable extremley suspicious old cynic :(

even as i type the bids have now jumped rather disproportionately from 100 to 155 ???

call me a cynic but im giving this one a wide berth :huh:

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1377807622' post='2192263']
...did you check the bidding?
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]o***n (102) and o***n (0) are two completely different bidders.[/size]

I'm always suspicious of bidders with (0) feedback, because they haven't a clue what they're doing. :)

Bid has jumped from 150 to 155 because the bid increment is currently at £5.
Next bid will need to be at least £160.

Nothing sinister about it. Yet.

Edited by discreet

It is almost certainly a coincidence. Ebay does the first letter / last letter on auctions over a certain amount, which means any two bidders with a user name starting and ending with the same letters will appear to have the same name. Which means it is actually quite common for two people to appear to have the same name and different feedback.

Seems legit to me.

The only bit I don't understand is why people are bidding before the last 5 minutes, but I guess that is because there is someone who hasn't bid before.

Edited by Woodinblack

Ebay likes to make out that you should use it like a normal auction, where you need to keep your bid the highest, and some people end up using it that way. Actually it would be interesting if you could do ebay auctions like that - they last for ever but if there has ever not been a bid for 10 days it goes for the selling price.