Why become a member? ×

How hot should a little head get?

bottomfeed

Recently bought a Gallien Krueger MB500 head.... sweet, tiny, pokey, tiny, cute, so tiny.... powerful, versatile, tiny... god it's tiny!

I've been using my Genz Benz Neo-Pak a lot recently & really been liking it... So kinda got the notion to trade in my GK1001RB II (my more 'testosterone' head, reserved for those bigger stage needs) for something more portable .....& it arrived from GAK recently....

Not gigged it yet... Will do on Friday.... But I am pretty impressed with what it is doing at low volume...

Just wondering... I seem to remember reading something somewhere where an MB500 owner was saying that the fan hardly ever kicks in because it never seems to get warm.... Well, my experience is that, I have had it on...but done nothing with it.... & suddenly the fan has kicked in... So just experimented with leaving it on for a couple of hours & it seems quite warm to the touch!... is this normal?

I'm appealing to other GK MB500 owners.... am I just being paranoid? ....prolly! ....yeah, surely!?

I wouldn't have thought about it if I hadn't read that!....

Any thoughts?[i] (tell me I'm being stupid!... )[/i]

[i][/i]

I've had mine about a month and had similar experiences with the fan coming on occasionally not long after it's been turned on but not used in anger. Most of the time the fan stays off, though.

It does get a bit warm to the touch after prolonged use, but not exactly what I'd call hot.

BTW, I've done a few rehearsals and three or four gigs with mine, including two outdoors and I've been nothing but impressed with it.

The only major issue that has surfaced is that it's far to easy to knock the Gain control when pressing the Mute button. More than once, I've been wondering where my sound has disappeared to after tuning up, only to discover the Gain had been accidentally turned to down to zero. All the knobs turn with very little force, but that one seems particularly vulnerable as it's right next to the Mute. I don't think my fingers are quite [i]that[/i] fat :)

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1377729350' post='2191215']
I've got to admit to being a little disappointed with the content of this thread after the title looked so promising...

:blush:
[/quote]

fnarr fnarr! :D

aww.... soz!
[size=4]Will this help?[/size]

[size=4][/size]

No?

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1377728238' post='2191193']
I've had mine about a month and had similar experiences with the fan coming on occasionally not long after it's been turned on but not used in anger. Most of the time the fan stays off, though.

It does get a bit warm to the touch after prolonged use, but not exactly what I'd call hot.
[/quote]

Thanks for that... think I was just a bit paranoid!
I've had a bit of experience with having to send new stuff back to be replaced... A GK MBE cab with a faulty tweeter switch being amongst them!

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1377929955' post='2193652']
hiho,I,ve got an Orange terror bass head and cab and it,s always cold,never gets warm even when we had the heatwave unlike my old ampig where you could do a sunday roast with it including roast potatoes, pan of soup ,a few rounds of toast at the back and heat the venue in the winter.
[/quote]

:D

I once rehearsed at a place where the guy running it insisted I try his Ampeg SVT stack, he was right proud of it.... I was curious, so I did... Sounded great, as they do.... as time passed, an odd smell started to fill the room, it didn't twig at first but soon enough it became obvious that it was the Ampeg which was by now smoking!... Fan was knackered... thing had heated up massively & was about to burst into flames!!... It cost him a fair bit to sort it out & I felt a bit guilty that I didn't cotton on earlier & perhaps saved it :unsure: .... but he did offer!.... I woulda been happy to have used the amp I had bought along.......

Update: I've gigged the MB500 over this weekend & it performs fine.... Gets a little warm after a few hours but nothing to worry about... fan kicks in when it's supposed to... all good.... it's sooo tiny!... & makes a massive noise! :)

Edited by bottomfeed